Author Topic: Got Hemi back from shop  (Read 2976 times)

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
Re: Got Hemi back from shop
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2008 - 12:12:34 AM »
I wouldn't use an HEI either, but it kinda sucks that it works better than the Chrysler stuff. I paid a little under $300 for my Digital-6, but it was on sale. They are currently $320 at Jegs. The better Chrysler chrome box kit is $261.

http://www.jegs.com/i/MSD/121/6520/10002/-1
http://www.jegs.com/i/Mopar+Performance/312/P3690432K/10002/-1

According to my Digital 6 manual it has a one year warranty. The Chrysler stuff is sold with no warranty. I have a chrome box sitting here I hardly used that doesn't work. I've seen numerous Chrysler ignition boxes crap out. I always carried a spare (and a spare ballast)when I used that setup. I have a MSD 7AL that's been on 4 different race cars with no failures, so ??? The D6 also has polarity protection in case you hook it up wrong, it also has 2 different rev limiters, a start retard and a seperate retard for nitrous use. Not a bad deal IMO for just $61 more when a single rev limiter costs more than $100. My only point is that any money spent on an ignition can possibly be utilized better in the aftermarket. You probably get more for less. The factory kit was a great deal back when it was $120 if you were replacing a point ignition on a stock motor, but much less of a great deal today, especially for a tempermental motor like a Hemi with todays gas laced with Ethanol. And that comes from a guy with factory aluminum heads and a factory solid camshaft in his motor. For what it's worth.  :dunno: 

Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2008 - 01:57:45 AM »
Everything will fail , I have replaced 3 MSD 6AL boxes & 1 stand alone dist , I just hate buying the expensive chips for the MSD + you have to buy 5 not just the one you need
 you are right on the Mopar warranty though

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2008 - 02:32:56 AM »
I have no experience with the 6AL.  The Digital 6 plus has simple screwdriver adjustments on the side for the rev limits and retard. You just run a wire from it to the nitrous solenoid and it retards it whatever you dial in when the hose is on. It's good to 12,500rpm  :22yikes: with a 14.4volt supply.
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2008 - 03:41:52 PM »
I've seen one failure with a 7AL (replaced at N/C at NHRA National Event). I've had a Jacobs fail years ago. I've never lost a single MSD6A or 6AL. I've personaly run 4, and still own one of them (last one sold wiht the Cuda). I agree, the digital 6 has had issues. Not the first I've heard, and the only one I've seen 1st hand has some... Just different experiences...lol

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2008 - 04:09:01 PM »
No issues with mine yet. Everything works like it's supposed to. Just got the newest Mopar Muscle mag and it has Mazzolini's 10 second SB Cuda in it. He has one on that.

Offline 74 340 4speed

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2008 - 04:12:49 PM »
I don't have any experience with hemi's, but when I  upgraded from a stock hei distributor ballast and box to a mopar performance setup with a chrome box, my 340 REALLY woke up.  I turn mine close to 7 grand, and there is no breakup at all whatsoever.  It pulls til I push the clutch in for the next gear.  :bigsmile:
Andy
1967 Camaro SS: 406 sbc 505 hp/506 ft lbs|4 speed|Posi|3.73s
1969 C/10  350|Turbo 350
1969 Dodge D300 318|4 speed|Dana|4.88s
1972Nova: 350|Turbo 350
1974 'Cuda: 340|4 speed|Dana 60|4.10s|posi
1999 Camaro SS: Auto|Longtube Headers|True Duals|TT2s
2013 Challenger R/T: 6 speed|Hurst with pistol grip|mopar performance exhaust|super track pak

Offline Supercuda

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2008 - 07:20:38 PM »
My 383 spins to 7,000 with the MOPAR conversion and the orange box, running E-85. I have had only one problem with my engine, and that has to do with running out of oil at 7,000 RPM after about 30 seconds there. I hate it when that happens. I have had only one failure with my MOPAR system, and that was the ballast resistor. It failed after about 50,000 miles of trouble-free service, and was replaced from local parts house stock. My cap and rotor also can be found locally just about anywhere in the country, and the ignition box can be sourced at any parts house, as well. So, if I should have an inopportune breakdown on the road, I can get going again as long as there is a parts store nearby. My distributor has no slop, and still lights things in my engine just beautifully. That's my two cents.

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2008 - 09:08:20 PM »
I still have the factory distributor that came with my car (It had the orange box kit when I bought it) Only mod to that was welding the bottom where it pilots into the oil pump drive to eliminate the slop because my timing was jumping around. You can use any distributor with the Digital-6 by following the directions.

I wouldn't have upgraded with the old 360 but I don't want to blow my new motor up over-reving it and I couldn't see spending money for just that, and the car already had the right coil for the MSD. It seemed like the best unit for the $$$ and it had a guarantee. I did have to get better wires because the wires I had were inadequate for this unit. There was spark everywhere when I first started it  :22yikes:

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2008 - 03:24:04 AM »
I was working with an MSD tonite , the ingition kept breaking down at 5400 RPM , the rev limiter was chipper to 6400 , I guess they marks the chips wrong .....of to buy yet another set of $60 chips  :banghead:

nivvy

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2008 - 05:37:23 AM »
Im on my 2nd msd6al... when i bought my junk when it was junk though... also last time at the track I had a 6700 rpm chip in and about 6200 I was bouncing off the limter the whole way down the track and could only post up an 11.5 amongst carb issues ...... it wasnt a good day at the track  :working:

I have also heard issues with the digital 6 also and kickback issues... yess kickback issues with a start retard system....   :working:

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2008 - 01:11:50 AM »
Just curious what wires you guys are using?? If you don't have helically wound wires you'll have all kinds of EMI issues with MSD stuff, including rev limiters.

I know this is totally off the wall and unrelated to this, but at a recent
gig my band played my bassist put his laptop computer near my guitar amp (A modern Line-6 programmable digital modeling amp) to play some songs on our breaks and it when HAYWIRE. I tried to play a song and the worst crap I ever heard came out of the speakers  :eek4:  The point is if you have any kind of EMI issues you'll have MSD problems. 

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2008 - 12:11:34 PM »
the engine has sprial core Taylors [not my favoite brand though]

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2008 - 06:27:40 PM »
I have the MSD heli-core wires like this>

Offline wart1de

• Vivah
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2008 - 07:36:13 PM »
I run a MSD 6AL in both my Ford and my Cuda - and both have had a failure. I think i've purchased 5 MSD boxes in 8 years. One of my good friends has a Crane Hi-6 in his Ford and it has never missed a beat... he keeps telling me to change but i'm stubborn. I'll just keep replacing my MSD's :)
1973 Plymouth 'Cuda
1980 Ford Falcon XD ESP
2012 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2008 - 01:15:16 AM »
I will buy the Crane , 1/2 the price , and no missmarked chips to buy for the limiter