Author Topic: Paying Serious Money $$ for Original 1969 and 1970 Alternator and Starter Cores  (Read 6228 times)

Offline FY1Challenger

• I'm a llama!
Hey folks, I've got customers lined up to buy your cores if they are original (non-remaned) and are for 1969 and 1970 model year B and E bodies! Paying up to $65.00 for some code dates. Check through that junk in the corner and let me know what you find! Cores need to be complete, original, and restorable. Thanks, Jim - Dixie Restorations (803) 924-6247. :jumping:

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
 Man when I think of the cores we sold back in the day for .50 or 1.00     :banghead:
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
I need to check mine out as I have a few milk crates full of them.How to you decipher the date codes on them?
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline Challenger6pak

• Resident
I need to check mine out as I have a few milk crates full of them.How to you decipher the date codes on them?
I would like to know about the codes also.
1969 Sport Satellite H code convertible, 1970 Cuda 440+6, 1970 Challenger R/T 440+6, 1970 Challenger 383 R/T auto, 1970 Challenger R/T 383 4 speed,1971 Challenger convertible.

Alaskan_TA

The number in the center of the "clock" is the year, beyond that I do not know how to narrow it down further.

Jim, I have a 1969 one here I have been saving, how much is it to have one redone?  :dunno:

Barry

Offline FY1Challenger

• I'm a llama!
Barry - we normally charge $225.00 with you furnishing the core. Your price would be $200.00 b/c of the unselfish way you have helped us all to better restorations. Wish I could do it for less but I have a partner who just does this to help me earn a little side money. He's not a Mopar guy.
If you're interested let me know. We don't have anything in the shop right now so you'll be first in line!  :woohoo:

To code date an alternator:
Turn the alternator on its back (pulley down) and find the threaded stud. Look above the stud (side view now) and you'll see a molded flat section that houses the capacitor. There are three different numbers stamped into the alternator casing in this area. The part number (seven digit ex. - 3438172), the code date (three or four digit ex. 35  69 = 35th wk of '69) and a manufacturer or line ID ( ex. 2-3-2). It's also important to check for originality by insuring the original bearing is still present in the rear case. It's very distinctive b/c of its "raised rib" or "bullseye" design. Any alternator w/o this style bearing has been rebuilt and most likely the fine casting details lost.

Offline FY1Challenger

• I'm a llama!
BTT

Offline AMXguy

I have a 5-69 and a 25-70, one of them has the raised bearing plug you're talking about the other doesn't. if they're something you might want let me know.
1970 R/T SE Challenger
 1970 Superbee
 1969 S code Mach 1
 1967  GTO

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
I only have one with the bullseye bearing still intact,the year is 70 in the center of the but I don`t understand how to decipher the brail looking clock for the date code.
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline FY1Challenger

• I'm a llama!
The code date "clock" is simply a way to tell when that particular part was made. It does not tell you when the individual parts were assembled by the alternator vendor. To determine that information see below -

To code date an alternator:
Turn the alternator on its back (pulley down) and find the threaded stud. Look above the stud (side view now) and you'll see a molded flat section that houses the capacitor. There are three different numbers stamped into the alternator casing in this area. The part number (seven digit ex. - 3438172), the code date (three or four digit ex. 35  69 = 35th wk of '69) and a manufacturer or line ID ( ex. 2-3-2). It's also important to check for originality by insuring the original bearing is still present in the rear case. It's very distinctive b/c of its "raised rib" or "bullseye" design. Any alternator w/o this style bearing has been rebuilt and most likely the fine casting details lost.

Offline KNOT0623

• 1970 A66 Challenger
Hi all
I need to alternators for my restos....my 70 Challey was built 11-11-69 and i have a T/A with a build date of 4-3-70.  can you help me with the alternators?  :1zhelp:

Thanks
Russ

russ@rhwerkheiser.com
Get in, Sit Down, Shut up and HOLD ON!!!!
1970 A66 340 Challenger 4-speed
1970 T/A Challenger 4-speed
2006 Ram 2500 Diesel
2008 BMW M3 Vert