Author Topic: Closed  (Read 1534 times)

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Closed
« on: September 10, 2008 - 02:03:40 AM »
our Local race track that Hannah had posted about officially closed down this afternoon @ 1 pm  :pullinghair:
 Race City is gone , the next nearest track is 2 hr drive now

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
Re: Closed
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008 - 02:06:18 AM »
That sucks  :(
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline NoMope Greg

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008 - 02:19:34 AM »
I know how you feel - we lost our local 1/4 mile dragstrip in 2004 - Carlsbad Raceway  (Anyone remember the MX USGP or Superbikers on ABC's Wide World of Sports in the 70's?  Same facility.).  We lost our best dirt oval in 1985 and our local asphalt oval (Cajon Speedway) also in 2004.  All we have left is an 1/8 mile at the stadium and another 1/8 mile and a 1/4 mile dirt oval up in the mountains, an hour from anywhere.   :swear:
Greg
2003 Ford Escape XLS
Currently Mopar-less :(

Offline Aussie Challenger

• Resident
  • In Kansas loaded for Drive to West Coast.
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008 - 05:42:20 AM »
  It is a sign of the times, the small tracks are closed and the bigger tracks make more. At least you seem to have a few tracks left, here in Australia we have very few and even those are under pressure to close.   :hyper: 
  No wonder more people use the street for racing, I know that there are those ratbag few who use the street and wouldn't use the track anyway.   :villagers:   :burnout:
Dave

Offline plumcrazy704406

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008 - 07:11:35 AM »
sad to hear! The cost of running a track (not considering insurance alone) is horrendous! It's a tough market to make money in. Maybe the different levels of gov's could step in and have some incentive for the owners to keep them open? At the end of the day the owner has to make some money! I don't think I would want to see gov. run tracks in my lifetime, but hey, someone has to step up!

:angelwings: :angelwings:
This thought may not be politically correct, but is an opinion offered. It may be correct? or it may be wrong? It is not designed to appease those needing shelter from the real world.

Offline cuda

• 1970 340 Cuda, pistol grip 4 speed,3:91 sure grip
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008 - 07:39:47 AM »
That really sucks,i cant believe that a city of over 1,000,000 people doesnt have a trac. :screwy: Im sure a new one will be built one day again but who knows when. :walkaway:

Offline js27

• MOPAR OR NO CAR
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2008 - 12:04:00 PM »
That's sad. We had  one of two of our local 1/8 mile track close this year also. The good new is that 3 hours form my house in Charlotte NC the brand new STATE OF THE ART TRACK IS OPENING THIS WEEKEND. IT WILL HAVE 4 LANES AND THE MOST UP TO DATE MODERN FACILITY. It is on my list to visit next year when they run the next NHRA National Event.
Can't make it this weekend because I will be going back to PA for vacation.
JS27
1967 GTX
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T Conv.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2008 - 12:48:24 PM »
the article only made it to page 6 of the local newspapers sports section
Apparently the land will be used for a swap / water drainage from the dump next door  :2thumbs:

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2008 - 01:21:05 PM »
Thats not good.  I hope thats not a sign of things to come.   :walkaway:

Offline dougs bs23

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2008 - 04:24:58 PM »

Apparently the land will be used for a swap / water drainage from the dump next door  :2thumbs:

Goes to show you that theres big money in trash
see Bill run  go Navy football///fly navy

Offline plumcrazy704406

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2008 - 09:17:44 PM »
hey, people gotta eat. people gotta get rid of their sh*t!

that's the way it works!

Capitalism at its best!

:canada:
This thought may not be politically correct, but is an opinion offered. It may be correct? or it may be wrong? It is not designed to appease those needing shelter from the real world.

Offline moparmaniac59

• Resident
  • Drive it like ya stole it!
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2008 - 09:25:49 PM »
Man,
That really does bite. We too lost our 1/4 mile track here in eastern VA (Suffolk Raceway) back in the late 80's. The nearest one to me is about 85 miles. I am sure a major factor is the rising cost of insurance and due in part to frivolous law suits!! :swear: :stomp:

Matt B.
Matt

Offline ghoulfish

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2008 - 10:17:43 PM »
What pisses me off is that they already had a closing date for Race City then out of the blue they just ignore it and spring this on us!!!!

Freaking politicians!! - now loads of the people who went to Race City are going to take it onto the streets and start endangering other peoples lives
No, I don't own a MOPAR, but I will
Certified Drivers Test Failure :)

hannah

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2008 - 12:31:19 AM »
What pisses me off is that they already had a closing date for Race City then out of the blue they just ignore it and spring this on us!!!! 

The owner of the land didn't pull the plug...CIS did...they look after the Secret Street races etc

Freaking politicians!! - now loads of the people who went to Race City are going to take it onto the streets and start endangering other peoples lives

Kinda disagree with you on that one...not the politicians hehe I agree with that. The only alderman that even gave time to this whole thing was McIver and he again has asked the city to see if there is some land that could be used by Race City

As for the street racing those who are racing on the street were doing it when the track was open...most probably they never even went to the track...I don't doubt there may be a small increase but certainly the closure of the track isn't the reason

It's really unfortunate news...not only for Calgary and surrounding areas...but for Alberta even North America

It's all about the money and land is worth big money

It's great to have a local track but you have to support that track and when they rarely get any press...little promotion or advertising you have to go out there. $5 to get in at Race City is not a lot of money...that's a pop & a bag of chips...yet when ever I was there they never really got big crowds

It's $10 to get in a Castrol...lots of cars...but small crowds...yet if what happened in Calgary suddenly happened here...there would be a lot of disgruntled people

The only way tracks around here have a chance is someone who REALLY loves cars and racing has a couple million bucks to pour into it, but comfortable enough to know you won't see it ever again and that's pretty unlikely...I have a dream...car shows during the week...drive-in movies on off nights...access to the track for testing...build a tuning shop...
hehe but that's another story

Anyways expect to see some of the Calgary people show for the 2 day finale at the track October 4th & 5th

Support your local track !!

Offline hooD

• detroit iron
  • Resident
  • Motor City Made Muscle
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2008 - 01:36:38 AM »
I remember running my 'Cuda at Detroit Dragway back in '73.  They closed it in 1998 and it became an industrial trucking buisness.  What a loss. 

http://waterwinterwonderland.com/johng.asp
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008 - 01:41:54 AM by hooD »
-Larry
member since AUG 2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvrWiLgDm7Y

southeastern michigan usa

1973 'CUDA 340

original owner
37,117 miles

:grinyes: *click my E-Body* :grinyes: