Author Topic: 70 R/T Fender Emblem Holes  (Read 2256 times)

Offline twist

70 R/T Fender Emblem Holes
« on: September 10, 2008 - 01:21:46 PM »
Well I need some good advice on what to do about the R/T emblem holes in my front fender.

I just got my car out of paint and I am happy with the way it tuned out. The car is a R/T SE that had a bumble bee stripe on the back and R/T emblems on the front fenders. When the car came home my wife and I both agreed that we would like to replace the bumble bee stripe with longitudinal stripes. I ordered a set and when I put them up to the car the holes cause a problem. Yeah, I know - I should of seen this coming...

Well one of the holes would be behind the middle black stripe, but the other is right where the / of the R/T in the decal is.

I am looking for options;  or am I stuck with the bumble bee and emblems?

Thanks

70 Challenger R/T SE
68 Charger RT
68 Dart GT Convertible

sleepychallenger

Re: 70 R/T Fender Emblem Holes
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008 - 01:26:00 PM »
or fill the holes, repaint the front, and put the stripes on. no badges.

Offline Finoke

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008 - 01:47:18 PM »
I"ve seen the  side stripe without the R/T call out applied, then  R/T emblems on top. I'll try to look for a picture.

Offline twist

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008 - 02:42:48 PM »
Finoke, that might be a good idea, wonder how that would look on the car......
70 Challenger R/T SE
68 Charger RT
68 Dart GT Convertible

Offline xblade

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008 - 06:07:46 PM »
I like the bumble bee stripe. Keep the emblems, maybe add some scat pack stickers on the 1/4 windows. But thats just me. It'll look good either way.

Offline 71ChallengerSE

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008 - 07:02:27 PM »
Can you post some pictures of your car??  :picture:
Is that B5? because if it is then the way it is now is almost how I want to do mine, I still need to convince myself to do it B5 with the black vinyl roof. :2thumbs:

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2008 - 12:45:15 AM »
My car had the emblems for many years. When I finally put on the longitudinal stripes, the car suddenly looked lower and longer. Better in my opinion. The bumble bee makes it look shorter.  If you want a shorter car, get a Cuda. Chrysler got it right by putting a wide stripe below the Challenger's body line.

I would fill the holes with metal to metal, touch it up to match the color, then lay on those stripes.

Rob
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline Finoke

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2008 - 07:30:21 AM »
I can't find a picture of the R/T emblem over the side stripe, but have seen it done. It doesn't look bad, but you'll probably get sick of everyone telling you its incorrect  :faint:

I would think you could have the holes repaired and some local touchup (that will not be seen because its under the stripe) for the cost of what it takes to paint on the rear bumble bee stripe.

I agree that the bumble bee stripe really does not standout. The first impression is it makes the car look shorter, not that the stripe is noticeable.

Offline twist

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2008 - 01:00:08 PM »
Can you post some pictures of your car??  :picture:
Is that B5? because if it is then the way it is now is almost how I want to do mine, I still need to convince myself to do it B5 with the black vinyl roof. :2thumbs:

Yes its B5 Blue, but its the 71-74 color, not the 70. I just like the later B5 blue better, so I painted it that color. I don't have much for pictures since I have just started putting it back together from the paint booth, but here are two more.

I really like the way the long stripes look on a 70 Challenger, so I will do what I can to make it work. I guess filling in the holes is the best route. What a pain. I just keep kicking myself for not filling them in earlier.

70 Challenger R/T SE
68 Charger RT
68 Dart GT Convertible

Offline cdecristo

• My Challenger Website
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008 - 07:28:29 PM »
Im in the Same boat. My car is B5 blue and it had Body Side Moulding . I want a White stripe down the side. Im not sure what to do with the holes. I remember having a picture of a 70 Challenger that had the stripes without the R/T and the emblem put over it . It did not look bad actually. I will post when I find it.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008 - 07:35:28 PM by cdecristo »
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T SE

Offline cdecristo

• My Challenger Website
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2008 - 06:27:34 PM »
I found the pics. Not the best but you get the idea.
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T SE

Offline twist

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2008 - 08:50:51 AM »
Thanks for posting the pictures. Your car looks really nice. I can only hope mine will turn out something close to that.

The pics you found with the R/T and the stripe don't look too bad, but like it was mentioned, people would want to point out that its not right.....
70 Challenger R/T SE
68 Charger RT
68 Dart GT Convertible