Author Topic: Gas Price Ripoff.... Ike Hasn't hit yet  (Read 6161 times)

nivvy

Re: Gas Price Ripoff.... Ike Hasn't hit yet
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2008 - 12:29:03 AM »
they always pass the costs of hurricanes etc off on us even though there up 500 billion for the last few years..... total f"n scam artist if you ask me....  :2cents:

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2008 - 12:39:16 AM »
They have to pay for all those oil rigs that weren't damaged  :sly:
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

nivvy

« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2008 - 12:41:08 AM »
They have to pay for all those oil rigs that weren't damaged  :sly:

take it out of there kitty..... not alway pass it off on us......

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2008 - 01:28:16 AM »
My take on the price gouging the past couple of days has nothing to do with big oil but the local dealers & distributors, this was too fast & with prices  being all over the place there seems to be no central control.........of course I could be wrong.
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2008 - 01:36:03 AM »
It's beyond obvious they rip us off. WTH should prics in NJ go up when we have a refinery in Philly where all local gas comes from??  :dunno: :clueless: :pullinghair:
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline MJS73

• Mike's 1973 Challenger
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2008 - 06:23:51 AM »
i honestly believe that in 2004 the bush administration got together in a small dark room with music playing in the backround and pretty much said this "what one way we can screw the everyone in the united states out of alot of money within the next 4 years ?"........."I GOT IT!!! GAS !!! its something they HAVE to buy no matter what regardless of how high prices are ..... done deal !!

Get this...there wasn't any music.  They stood near a noisy heating duct so that they couldn't be overheard.  My brother's neighbor knows a guy whose best to friend has a sister whose cousin's husband delivered pizzas to that meeting.  But I like the way you think.

Mike
www.mikes73.com
Don't PM me - send me an e-mail at mjsavage2001@yahoo.com

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2008 - 11:53:24 AM »
Between last night and this morning, it went up another 25 cents around here.   :stomp:

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline 422STROKER

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 6/3/06
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2008 - 12:43:41 PM »
Haven't seen it here yet.  Paid 3.49 for regular today in the truck.

Tom
Tom
12.77 @ 108.87 15" Street Drag radial tires 3.23 gear

Offline Challenger6pak

• Resident
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2008 - 01:57:00 PM »
It came back down here in S. FL. Maybe our new Governor is doing something about it.
1969 Sport Satellite H code convertible, 1970 Cuda 440+6, 1970 Challenger R/T 440+6, 1970 Challenger 383 R/T auto, 1970 Challenger R/T 383 4 speed,1971 Challenger convertible.

Offline RusTy/SE

• Sr. Resident
  • Just havin' fun
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2008 - 04:11:48 PM »
  In Alabama Governor Riley declared a State of Emergency. In all the news reports i've heard a point is made to mention that under this declaration gougers can be prosecuted.  :villagers:

At the Citgo down the street from my house gas was $3.59 thursday evening, $3.79 friday morning and $3.99 friday evening.  :faint:

Can anyone recall gas prices bouncing around so much when Hurricanes Camille or Rita caused so much damage in the gulf :dunno: >:(
Russ
2001 Durango     1B4HS
1970 Challenger  JS29U
Restoration thread: http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=27173.0
Member since December 13, 2002

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2008 - 07:37:57 PM »
Russ, We went to town today to buy gas for the lawn mower. The stations said they were out of reg, mid grade and super.  All the stations said they were sold out and had bags on the handles. We had to go over to the next town and they were pulling the same stunt on mid grade and premium but had a little regular left. I seriously believe they know they are going to be caught gouging and they were not out of fuel. I wish we americans could fight back somehow and hit them good and hard to punish them. But we just dont know how. Bush isnt going to give any of us money back for us being gouged. They will use the gouge money to pay the fine as it is and the governments already get the taxes off the gas in the first place.

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2008 - 12:21:21 AM »
Alan, It's not up to the President to determine what happens it will be dictated by the laws that are on the books and whatever the attorney general decides to do with them. I'd suggest we save our receipts for a while & see what happens. It is possible that a class action suit would qualify those who submit for it a refund, I have received several letters over the years stating that with proof I could get a money back but never had the receipt for anything worth pursuing.
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline RusTy/SE

• Sr. Resident
  • Just havin' fun
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2008 - 09:17:25 AM »
$4.29 this (monday) morning with out-of gas bags on each pump. It's considered price gouging in Alabama if the price increases more than 25% within thirty days. The increases began last thursday when regular unleaded was $3.59 so my station can legally go up to $4.49. Capitalism...bah ;)

:money:
Russ
2001 Durango     1B4HS
1970 Challenger  JS29U
Restoration thread: http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=27173.0
Member since December 13, 2002

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2008 - 04:40:34 PM »
Don't expect the Dem's that control both houses of Congress to do anything. Their goal right now is to get Obama elected and the way to do that is to make everyone suffer as much as possible and blame Bush for everything. It doesn't matter that 80% of the American people (including those in Alaska) want us to drill for oil off the coast and in Anwar. They won't even bring it up for a vote.....  :pullinghair:
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008 - 04:48:35 PM by 71chally416 »

Offline 70_challenger

• Suburban Detroit, Michigan
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2008 - 09:55:12 PM »
Alan, It's not up to the President to determine what happens it will be dictated by the laws that are on the books and whatever the attorney general decides to do with them. I'd suggest we save our receipts for a while & see what happens. It is possible that a class action suit would qualify those who submit for it a refund, I have received several letters over the years stating that with proof I could get a money back but never had the receipt for anything worth pursuing.

Right on!  It is fun to blame whoever you don't like for these things.  Some people will blame Congress, and others will blame Bush (oh, I would like to).  But the truth is - It really is supply and demand.  The oil companies/refiners/distributors control the supply and we have the demand (if we wish to go to work, take the kids to school, and get groceries...) 

However, it is not a simple textbook supply/demand situation, because the consumer cannot just decide to buy from a different distribution network.  If you don't like the price of a toaster at company A, you can drive down the street to company B and buy it cheaper.  Each store has it's own supply network and pricing strategy.  But all the gasoline in your area comes from the same cartel, so the retailers have to pass on the cost.  Now, some stations will be cheaper than others, but they all go up together.  And they know the demand will be there, because most of us have no choice but to drive to work!  It IS total BS, but I'm not sure what people expect the federal government to do.

But the attorney general in your state might have something to say.  Here in Michigan, there was price gouging after September 11, 2001.  Our Attorney General (now our Governor) successfully sued the distributors and retailers for price gouging, and won a HUGE settlement for customers.  As stated above, though, you had to have your receipt. So, it is good advice - Hang on to your receipts, and watch what happens in your state. 

By the way, we are getting the short end of it here.  Our gas is among the highest in the nation right now, and nobody knows why.  It is well over $4/gallon, despite the fact that the price of crude keeps going down!  Maybe our current AG should have a look at this!

-Tom