Author Topic: Gas Price Ripoff.... Ike Hasn't hit yet  (Read 6160 times)

Offline Goehner

• 392 IE
Re: Gas Price Ripoff.... Ike Hasn't hit yet
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2008 - 10:07:46 PM »
While I agree with some of your statements....there are people out there that take advantage of others and price gouge. I agree that they should be prosecuted. However, there are real supply demand issues here where stations are running out of gas and there are a ton of people who need gas. A lot of the refineries are off-line and they are still trying to asses the situation before they restart them. The prices have not changed here in NE, since there are quite a few refineries in the Midwest. But down south, they are truly having some supply issues.
392 Edition on order
08 Mega Cab 3500 SRW 6.7 CTD, 2" Leveling kit, 33" Mickey Thompson MTZ
05 Durango Limited, Yea, it's got a HEMI!!

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2008 - 10:10:23 PM »
There's a refinery not 40 miles from me. Wasnt hit by weather here and fuel went up over a buck. Stations all were saying no fuel.

Offline moparclown

• Resident
« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2008 - 05:15:22 AM »
In my opinion it's a sham,they don't refine gas in small #s.It's sitting in holding tanks all over the place.Do you really think in this day and age that they only refine it as gas stations need it?----NOT.And with a barrel of oil hitting it's lowest price since July $95 a barrel,they are using Ike as an excuse to keep charging large #s at the pump.I still consider this the biggest robbery in history,and they are getting away with it.And I know many will disagree with me on this but do a little homework guys and it might surprise you where we get most of our oil from--1 clue-it's not from those Gulf platforms. :stirpot:

Offline Goehner

• 392 IE
« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2008 - 03:36:45 PM »
25% of gas production is down currently. So whatever.......
392 Edition on order
08 Mega Cab 3500 SRW 6.7 CTD, 2" Leveling kit, 33" Mickey Thompson MTZ
05 Durango Limited, Yea, it's got a HEMI!!

Offline 422STROKER

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 6/3/06
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2008 - 03:59:25 PM »
Hitting here(MA) today, gas is up 20c and some stations are out of regular 87.

Tom :dupe:
Tom
12.77 @ 108.87 15" Street Drag radial tires 3.23 gear

Offline 73james

• horsepower and torque are only the beginning
« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2008 - 04:18:09 PM »
Well I believe they are just raising the pricing to get the poeple who are in panic of ike to pay the HIGH A** prices. In which people will because they need the gas to survive. If it involves generators or cars to get around it is all GAS. Also our main supply of oil comes from the middle east anyways. The refineries in the U.S. make what 10% if that, of what our country uses. Out here in California where I live gas is lingering I believe, it was 3.80's and now probally about low 4.00's. I am sorry for the people that ike hit. I say we boycote the stations. :aarg: play them back there own tune of not buying gas to hurt the proffiters to drop there prices and only make cents instead of billions. :violin: We should nail them hard. :villagers: It requires alot of people and alot of time. I say we do it, and take back our low prices and put those Nazi pocketing fuel sellers behind bars. YA YA YA YA :crazy: :roflsmiley: :roflsmiley: :roflsmiley: :roflsmiley:

Offline LAA66

« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2008 - 05:02:35 PM »
25% of gas production is down currently. So whatever.......

Plenty of crude yes, but reduced fuel production. The gov even suspended the EPA gasoline "enhancement" requirement so more foreign fuel can be supplied.

Once the power is back up things should get back to normal or better. Crude is down to around $91 per barrel today  (vs $145 a month or so ago) eventually it should pass thru to us in the US. :swaying:

Offline moparclown

• Resident
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2008 - 05:15:15 PM »
I could be wrong,and usually I am,but don't we get most of our crude from up north?I know that refineries are down,but we have quite a stock of fuel.What I am trying to say is that we don't make gas from crude in small amounts to just get by day by day.

Offline LAA66

« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2008 - 06:26:52 PM »
 My understanding is most of our crude comes from the middle east. Where it lands here I don't really know. There could be problems offloading if it's in the gulf.

As for the refineries they needed to build a lot more 20 years ago and in areas that are not susceptible to catastrophes. Whether the decision (not to) was environmental or maybe to control supply, that's another ?

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #54 on: September 16, 2008 - 06:30:48 PM »
Most of our Oil comes from Canada and Mexico. We don't have enough refining capacity because every time they try to build anything it gets tied up with red tape and the tree huggers all scream. The same reason we aren't drilling in the barren wasteland in Alaska when oil is oozing out of the ground. Red tape, tree hugger wackos.

I have a novel idea. How about our government steps aside and lets big oil drill where they want to (where there is lots of oil) and lets them build all the new refinerys thay want. The stipulation? After 10 years we don't want to hear another word about a "shortage" for the next 30 years. The first station owner that raises their price an unreasonable amount goes to jail.
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline DoNotChallengeHer

• Resident
  • Drive It Like You Stole It !
« Reply #55 on: September 16, 2008 - 06:48:36 PM »
I just went to get gas eariler today. All they had was 93. $3.89 a gal.  :dunno:

Offline acgwinn

« Reply #56 on: September 16, 2008 - 06:55:53 PM »
How bout we look for an alternative fuel other than oil?  You would think with all the BILLIONS of dollars the oil companies make, they would use some of it to invest in alternate fuel.  Wouldn't it make since to do so?  Sooner or later oil WILL run out, then what?  This Oil crisis is all political anyways.  I can't remember in the last 20 years oil spiking the way it has because of a hurricane.  It didn't do this with Katrina and it didn't do it with any of the other hurricanes we've had in the last twenty years.  It still boggles my mind how people allow the media to manipulate what is right in front of them.  Before this gets political, let me say that i'm very neutral when it comes to politics. I want the person whom i feel will do the best job, doesn't matter if they are republican, democrat or independent.  With that said, Bush Sr. leaves the country in debt after the Gulf War and he leaves office.  Clinton cleans all that up and leaves office with a SURPLUS!!  Bush Jr.  will leave office with debts in the billions!!  We are in a war that has zero to do with 9/11, like we were led to believe.  We were told the oil that would come from the middle east would pay for the war, what a joke that was.  I'm not a big support of Obama, but i believe if we get McCain, we will be in for more of the same things we have been through in  the last 8 years. Does anyone not see the the rich have just been getting richer and richer, while us middle class have been raked across the coals?  There are huge problems in this country and the bottom line is OIL IS EVIL.  

Offline MJS73

• Mike's 1973 Challenger
« Reply #57 on: September 16, 2008 - 07:27:09 PM »
How bout we look for an alternative fuel other than oil?

Do you include yourself in that "we"?  Why is it up to others to do the things you want?  If you want it that bad, get involved!  Raise money for alternative energy research, go back school and do research.  Anything but complain.

And why doesn't Microsoft look for alternative operating systems?  Besides, there are others already working on it.  And they're decades and decades (possibly 100 years) away from a solution (unless Obama gets elected, then we'll have one by Feb. 2009.

You would think with all the BILLIONS of dollars the oil companies make

As a percentage of sales, oil companies are nowhere near the top.  And why would you expect a company (any company) to research ways to put themselves out of business?

It still boggles my mind how people allow the media to manipulate what is right in front of them.

Present company excluded, right?

Clinton cleans all that up and leaves office with a SURPLUS!!

Never happened, dude.  The "surpluses" were all hypothetical projections made by a president leaving office and not having to be responsible for them.  There never was any surplus.  It still boggles my mind how people allow the media to manipulate what is right in front of them.

We were told the oil that would come from the middle east would pay for the war, what a joke that was.

Who said that?  Bush said from the beginning that Iraq's oil belongs to the Iraqi people.

There are huge problems in this country and the bottom line is OIL IS EVIL.

How is an inanimate object evil?

Mike

« Last Edit: September 16, 2008 - 07:32:52 PM by MJS73 »
www.mikes73.com
Don't PM me - send me an e-mail at mjsavage2001@yahoo.com

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #58 on: September 16, 2008 - 09:24:18 PM »
I'm all for "alternative energy".  I just don't think it's the governments job to pay for it with our taxes. Will we reap the profits if we put Billions into other energy research? NO. Like it or not, America runs on Oil for the forseeable future and we have plenty of it here if we just get it out of the ground and out of the ocean, and it won't take 10 years. Does it make sense to anyone that foreign companies can drill where we can't? That's what they're doing off the coast in the gulf.
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline acgwinn

« Reply #59 on: September 16, 2008 - 09:28:20 PM »
Do you include yourself in that "we"?  Why is it up to others to do the things you want?  If you want it that bad, get involved!  Raise money for alternative energy research, go back school and do research.  Anything but complain.

We meaning, our country as a whole.  At some point, there will be no more oil.  Whether it is 20 years, 50 year, whatever, it will happen and then what?

And why doesn't Microsoft look for alternative operating systems?  Besides, there are others already working on it.  And they're decades and decades (possibly 100 years) away from a solution (unless Obama gets elected, then we'll have one by Feb. 2009.

Why do they need to?  There are other computer companies that people can choose from when buying a computer.  Microsoft doesn't hold the American people by the nads and force them to have to overpay for their product like oil companies do.

As a percentage of sales, oil companies are nowhere near the top.  And why would you expect a company (any company) to research ways to put themselves out of business?

Didn't say they would go out of business.  I'm saying to research alternated fuel sources for when there is no more oil.  Sooner or later it will happen, and as a business finding another source of energy/fuel would be the ideal way to keep your business going.

Present company excluded, right?

Never happened, dude.  The "surpluses" were all hypothetical projections made by a president leaving office and not having to be responsible for them.  There never was any surplus.  It still boggles my mind how people allow the media to manipulate what is right in front of them.

Who said that?  Bush said from the beginning that Iraq's oil belongs to the Iraqi people.

I take it your a Republican, correct?  It did happen.  We definately weren't billions of dollars in debt with the American dollar being practically worthless were we?  I didn't think so.   As for the war, it was said from the very beginning that Iraq's sale of oil after we were in there would be used to pay for and REBUILD there cities.  Is it coincedence the Haliburton (Mr. Cheneys company) is raking in billions of dollars rebuilding over there?  I think not.
How is an inanimate object evil?
Oil=Money=Greed=Evil

Pretty simple anology.  I'm not trying to be political, but this is how things are.  Our country's economy is horrible and if you don't think so, you are either rich or don't really know what's going on.  Take care, Damian.

Mike