Author Topic: Magnum Wheel Paint Question  (Read 5752 times)

Offline Glennster

Magnum Wheel Paint Question
« on: September 14, 2008 - 04:08:27 PM »
Where can I get the CORRECT paint for my Original Magnum wheels? The wheels are on my 70 Challenger, they're the 5 spoke type. It looks like plain old Black, but I want it to look like the factory stuff.
The Year One catalog had a silver wheel paint, but no black.
THANKS!!!

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
Re: Magnum Wheel Paint Question
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008 - 04:47:36 PM »
I would give these guys a shout. They carry the Rally wheel paint anyway.

http://www.totallyautoinc.com/

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Glennster

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008 - 06:54:15 PM »
I got some paint for my Grille from these guys, it worked out real good!
I looked on their wed site and saw only the silver (rally wheel) paint, the black paints they had did not say they were for the Magnum wheels. :clueless:
I'll do as you suggest, we'll call them in the morning! :bananasmi
Thanks for the reply!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Supercuda

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008 - 07:38:17 PM »
You might just be looking for the wrong name. The Magnum 500 wheel is called the "styled road wheel" by Chrysler, and the paint may just be masquerading. The Magnum was also available on other brands of car, and I bet a Mustang restoration supplier could supply the right color, if it can't be found in a MOPAR shop.

Offline Glennster

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008 - 09:26:20 PM »
Supercuda,
 Good call, I was looking for a wheel on EBAY, I need one for a spare tire. I'd like it to match my other wheels. There was some Mustang wheels that look just like mine when I did an EBAY search for Magnum wheels. Now I know why! :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:
 If the folks at TOTALLY AUTO or YEAR ONE can't help me, I'll try the Mustang guys.
THANK YOU :bigsmile:

Offline Supercuda

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008 - 11:39:22 PM »
You're welcome. Remember that not all Magnum wheels are the same. Ford used 15" wheels as well as 14", and the offset may not be the same, either. Measurements will be your best friend. The most important ones are the diameter (MOPAR is 14" only), the width, and the offset of the wheel. Bolt pattern becomes an issue when you add the A-bodies into the equation.

Offline G_Man440

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008 - 01:27:50 AM »
This is probably too late,  but I bought the correct paint and etching compound from Eastwoods. Don't bother with the precut masking patterns. They are a poor fit.

http://www.eastwoodco.com/index.jsp
70 Challenger R/T, 440, 727, AC

Offline Glennster

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2008 - 06:24:18 AM »
G_Man,
  Your timing's good for me, I got into some other projects, so I didn't get to the wheels yet. I was going to get the paint at '' Totally Auto '', and I was going to get the precut masking patterns from '' Year One ''.
Where did you get the masking patterns? Do you have 14'' or 15'' wheels? Mine are 14''
Which paint did you buy?
Did you get them painted yet? How about some pictures?
THANKS for the info!!!

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2008 - 10:05:15 AM »
Hi Glennsteer, FYI this is what I did.  Not the correct paint, but I did it on the cheap, turned out well IMO.   

I just used generic semigloss wheel paint I found at the local VIP Auto Parts.  Wheel paint unlike organisol black paint has no texture to it so matching it isn't really an issue as far as texture goes, it's just the amount of shine.

I did not buy the templates but made my own out cardboard.  I have the factory brushed steel styled wheels (not chrome) so after I painted, I used some fine steel wool to clean up the spokes of any over spray, very easy to do, and it really brings out the luster.  When I cut out the template from cardboard, I just bent it to fit the contour of the rim.  Tape a little newspaper around the edges to protect the rest of the rim from over spray.  I did one section at a time, quick light coats, total like 2-3 coats, all in my basement.  I even had an old sunglass dislplay rack that rotates so I put the wheel on that and it made it easier to work with.  So total, I spent like less than $5 to refinish my wheels. 

The paint prep is critical.  Make sure you sand down all the areas to be painted black or else the paint will flake off.  It's been on there for over 3 years and no problem.

Before:

After:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline Slotts

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2008 - 10:17:15 AM »
I bought a new set of 14 x 5 1/2 magnum wheels, caps and beauty rings from the parts department at the local Dodge dealer for my 74 Challenger.
The black portion was flat black. Cost me around $325 back in 76 but I had to have them.
I was able to save two complete sets after all these years and will be going on this one when completed.

Slotts

Offline Jon112272

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2008 - 11:16:47 AM »
You're welcome. Remember that not all Magnum wheels are the same. Ford used 15" wheels as well as 14", and the offset may not be the same, either. Measurements will be your best friend. The most important ones are the diameter (MOPAR is 14" only), the width, and the offset of the wheel. Bolt pattern becomes an issue when you add the A-bodies into the equation.

I thought Mopar also had the 15" Magun Wheels on certain models, like the Ralleye's on the Hemi's and Six Pack cars? 

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2008 - 04:18:58 PM »
I thought Mopar also had the 15" Magun Wheels on certain models, like the Ralleye's on the Hemi's and Six Pack cars? 

:clueless:  Hmmm... I think as far as I've seen in brochures it was only the Rally wheel available in 15", not the styled road wheels (Magnum 500s).

Slotts, those were flat black?  Not semi gloss?  :clueless:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline Glennster

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2008 - 05:58:41 PM »
You talked me into it, I need to save the money, your wheels look GREAT!!!!!
So the 14'' are styled road wheels and the 15'' are Magnum 500's?????
Mine are 14'', but they look like yours....................

Offline Supercuda

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2008 - 07:25:31 PM »
Here's the scoop: Chrysler used the 14" size of the Magnum 500, called the "Styled Steel Road Wheel" in the literature. The 15" wheels came in 2 basic flavors, either the Rallye Wheel, or the plain steelie. Myths abound, but I have never seen a stock installation of the 15" Magnum 500 on a Chrysler product. Neither have I seen any literature supporting the availability of a 15" Styled Steel Road Wheel.

Offline Slotts

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2008 - 10:06:10 PM »
Slotts, those were flat black?  Not semi gloss?  :clueless:

Yes, SB, flat black. I bought mine over the counter at the parts department.
I will take a couple of pictures of them for the record and post them here for you.

I'm on the road at the moment and will have to dig them out when I get home.

Slotts