Author Topic: i really belive thar dynos are a scam and a joke  (Read 1849 times)

Offline geneo4116

• 70 rt 383 auto blk/blk apprx 450hp
i really belive thar dynos are a scam and a joke
« on: September 14, 2008 - 04:21:59 PM »
ive had 2 cars dynoed the first they claimed they got me over 75 more horse you could not feel it at all charged me over 600.00 the next one a different place my car was missing terrible wouldnt hardly run they changed the carb and charged me 700.00 still was missind and popping so i took to a mechanic i met at car show a real mopar guy he found plug wire burned threw,and a bad coil and the car runs great charged 50.00 labor i will never go to a dyno again i think its just a scam to charge more money both these guys were suppose to be ace mechanics what a joke :wavingflag:

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
Re: i really belive thar dynos are a scam and a joke
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008 - 04:50:38 PM »
Do you know what type of Dyno they used?

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008 - 05:02:08 PM »
I think the mechanics running them are a scam and a joke not the dynos.
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline moparclown

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008 - 05:08:33 PM »
The best mechanics I know don't need a dyno

Offline gkring

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008 - 07:24:24 PM »
You list approx 450 HP in your signature. Was that the before or after number on the first dyno charge?
Dynos serve a purpose, sounds like you had a bad experience with the shop and the employees. I know it is tough, but always try to get references before letting a shop touch your car. Many a car has had an engine blown on the dyno.
Greg
1970 Challenger convertible-in process
1970 Barracuda driver

craigsmytcudas

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008 - 07:27:35 PM »
ive had 2 cars dynoed the first they claimed they got me over 75 more horse you could not feel it at all charged me over 600.00 the next one a different place my car was missing terrible wouldnt hardly run they changed the carb and charged me 700.00 still was missind and popping so i took to a mechanic i met at car show a real mopar guy he found plug wire burned threw,and a bad coil and the car runs great charged 50.00 labor i will never go to a dyno again i think its just a scam to charge more money both these guys were suppose to be ace mechanics what a joke :wavingflag:
 heres the deal i have been on the dynos many times .first you need many extra parts and of course a plan on what parts you want to test .then back up your runs .also no one can tune by feel alone thats bull . a seasoned racer can feel a 20 hp loss on track . but a novice cant feel a thing ,it usually takes 30 plus nights to feel any hp changes and why . many cars fall apart on the dynos it brings out the workmanship of the owner ie plug wires fall off trash in the fuel along with many other things can go wrong .also the dyno operator usually wont tell you what to do its up to you to know what your looking for . did your car leave with bungs welded into your exhaust for sensors then caped off ? .also go to utube and look at wells racing engines .and gaerte racing engines or shaver engines and sit in on a dyno run cool vids .before every one gets on this thread try to educate your selfs on this subject first.good luck

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008 - 07:27:52 PM »
You can feel 20 hp in the seat of your pants. The people bit you, not the dyno. I have never done a chassis dyno. always on a stand to tune mine.

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2008 - 07:50:19 PM »
The carb gets blamed for everything because it sits right in the middle of the motor and it's the first thing you see when the hood is lifted. 75 hp at the wheels is one hellova gain. What kind of nitrous did he use? :smilielol:
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

craigsmytcudas

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2008 - 08:17:05 PM »
The carb gets blamed for everything because it sits right in the middle of the motor and it's the first thing you see when the hood is lifted. 75 hp at the wheels is one hellova gain. What kind of nitrous did he use? :smilielol:
  i have gone from 585 at the rear wheels on injectors to 605 with just a simple fuel curve change and a 3 point pill change . a half day session with a few helpers and a load of parts will make real gains ,also a dyno can make an opinioned car owner cry foul .c

Offline geneo4116

• 70 rt 383 auto blk/blk apprx 450hp
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2008 - 08:19:42 PM »
THATS JUST IT DUDES THEY COULD NOT FIND THE BAD PLUG WIRE OR THE BAD COIL I MEAN COME ON IT WENT IN FOR A DYNO TUNE IT WAS A JOKE TO ME BOTH TIMES. NEVER AGAIN. :wavingflag: ALSO NO BUNGS WELDED IN THE SECOND TIME

craigsmytcudas

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2008 - 08:37:12 PM »
THATS JUST IT DUDES THEY COULD NOT FIND THE BAD PLUG WIRE OR THE BAD COIL I MEAN COME ON IT WENT IN FOR A DYNO TUNE IT WAS A JOKE TO ME BOTH TIMES. NEVER AGAIN. :wavingflag: ALSO NO BUNGS WELDED IN THE SECOND TIME
  im not here to give you a hard time , but the dyno should have shown a fat fuel load on the bank thats got a bad plug .also the coil will heat up and show bad with a wire off or damaged . if a car has headers the first tool needed and much cheeper than a 700.00 dyno bill ,would be spit or a water bottle spray the pipe and look for cold pipes . do you ever wonder how a racer can diagnose a problem in less than 10 mins and be back on track so fast

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2008 - 08:44:33 PM »
I would think a $700 tune would include fixing a dead miss because of a bad wire?  :clueless: 
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline moparmaniac59

• Resident
  • Drive it like ya stole it!
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2008 - 09:22:08 PM »
I agree if you go to a Dyno tune you need a plan and I'd suggest a good mechanic.  :2thumbs:I took my car for a dyno tune and had a friend of mine that is an engine builder and owns a machine shop on board for fine tuning. A simple Ray-Tec laser pointing heat sensor can find a mis-firing plug in about 2 seconds. I had the same problem on the dyno with a burned plug wire boot and it was corrected in 5 minutes by using a Ray-Tec. A dyno is simply a tool. A tool can do a lot in the hands of the right person or can totally screw things up if not properly used. I had great success with my car on the dyno, but I had a plan and a top notch mechanic to help with the tuning. Sorry you had a bad experience. It's just like getting a bad dentist. Kinda leaves a bad taste (no pun intended) in your mouth. Don't throw out the baby with the bath water. If you do decide to try a dyno tune again, get a good mechanic to go with you and have a well laid out plan. Things might go better!! Just my :2cents:

Matt B.
Matt

Offline cudadave72

• you motorboatin sob!!!
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2008 - 09:26:36 PM »
I feel the guys running the dyno screwed you. A dyno is an excellent tool to use for tuning if done correctly. If you had a big problem your A/Fs would have been way off. At that point the dyno guys/tuner should have found your problem. Sorry to here about your bad expirence!
1972 BS23 H code Cuda, B5 blue, 340 streched to 416 cu in, 727 w/ 8 3/4 rear, 7.23 in the 1/8 mile and 11.38@117mph in the 1/4 on drag radials   Under restoration! Coming soon... 440cuin R3 Indy SMALL BLOCK monster!!!!

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2008 - 09:36:52 PM »
It don't take any special tools to pull each plug wire off and see which one makes no difference in the way a motor runs. That's backyard mechanic stuff. Anybody running a dyno that don't even know that is just a hack that has no buisness trying to adjust a fuel curve or timing.
They need to go get a basic Mechanics 101 education first.