Author Topic: Anyone heard when the new bodies will be released?  (Read 6755 times)

Offline hotrod98

• Maniac Musclecars
Anyone heard when the new bodies will be released?
« on: September 14, 2008 - 10:40:19 PM »
I still haven't seen a date for the release of the 71 Cuda convertible crate bodies. I know they're coming but don't know when. I sold both of my converts and would love to have another one. I'm saving a 6.1 motor for it. I'll probably go with a 5 speed Keisler. We were going to buy a new '09 Challenger until we heard about the new bodies. My plan is to build the convert to match my unrestored 71 cuda that I have in storage. After that, I'll probably sell the other four Cudas (clones) and just keep the two real cudas.
I have a stash of convertible parts including a top assembly and hope that we're not forced to buy a complete car.
I'm going to ask a lot of people about the body at SEMA. Supposedly, Goodmark is in charge of the whole thing.

If someone hears anything, start a thread
1971 Cuda, Tor-red, Bench seat
1971 Cuda Drag Car
1973 Cuda Clone, EFI/OD Limelight
1970 Superbird (Yes, it's real) Black Ice
1971 Barracuda Sassy Grass Green (sold)
1970 Challenger RT SE 383 Plum Crazy
1969 Road Runner Hardtop
1968 Road Runner Coupe (sold)

www.maniacmusclecars.com

Offline Devil

• Forward, Together Forward
    • Ryan's Cars in Barns
Re: Anyone heard when the new bodies will be released?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008 - 11:58:25 PM »
Um... at this time no one is in development or pre-production of any mopar bodies.  You can get the panels to almost completely build one, but Mopar at this time is not allowing anyone to produce complete bodies.

Ryan
Ryan's Cars in Barns

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hemipwr70/
http://carsinbarns.blogspot.com

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
71 Challenger R/T Clone
69 Charger R/T SE
70 Barracuda
74 Dart Swinger
93 RamCharger
88 Caprice Classic Brougham

Offline hotrod98

• Maniac Musclecars
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008 - 01:27:06 AM »
Wanna bet?  :bigsmile:
1971 Cuda, Tor-red, Bench seat
1971 Cuda Drag Car
1973 Cuda Clone, EFI/OD Limelight
1970 Superbird (Yes, it's real) Black Ice
1971 Barracuda Sassy Grass Green (sold)
1970 Challenger RT SE 383 Plum Crazy
1969 Road Runner Hardtop
1968 Road Runner Coupe (sold)

www.maniacmusclecars.com

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008 - 01:30:11 AM »
Um... at this time no one is in development or pre-production of any mopar bodies.  You can get the panels to almost completely build one, but Mopar at this time is not allowing anyone to produce complete bodies.

Ryan

My partner has a 71 demon carbon fiber body
where i got strokers dana narrowed, there is a carbon fiber 70 cuda body setting on a pro mod hemi
saw a 69 rr fiberglass body to.

:dunno:

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008 - 01:36:23 AM »
Wanna bet?  :bigsmile:
You are talking full steel reproduction bodies by Goodmark, aren't you ?

This is very interesting. :drool:
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
  • My M46 Barracuda! Member Since:October 01, 2005
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008 - 02:01:18 AM »
It would be so cool to get a whole body for sure.  I would think hard about it on my restore.  I am going to be replacing most of the sheet metal anyways.  I will try to keep watching and would like to know what it will cost for sure.  I would want the 1970 body.  Take care and will keep watching.

Gordon
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008 - 07:07:20 AM »
Last I read, Goodmark, or who ever is stamping these, said no to any mopar offerings. They did have plans for tri-5 chevys and early novas however. If this has changed, I'd love to see a press release or some other info about it.

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008 - 08:49:38 AM »
The company doing the mustangs and camaros is Dyncorn, I believe, but I have not heard anything about any E Bodies coming out  :dunno: .  Personally I would not want to see this, because I don't really like the idea that you can jump online and order up a "new" chally or cuda to build from scratch.  I know I'm being selfish, but I'd rather not see an E Body as every other car at shows.

Offline MJS73

• Mike's 1973 Challenger
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008 - 09:31:19 AM »
Wouldn't there be a big difference in creating a new body that you put on an existing frame and creating a whole new unibody structure?

Mike
www.mikes73.com
Don't PM me - send me an e-mail at mjsavage2001@yahoo.com

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008 - 09:36:08 AM »
Wouldn't there be a big difference in creating a new body that you put on an existing frame and creating a whole new unibody structure?

Mike
What i want to know is how they are going to get around the Vin problem when their is none for a new shell :dunno:  What do the Camaro boys do :clueless:

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2008 - 09:57:54 AM »
One thing I heard about the Camaros a while back was that you had to use an original frame with the cowl, that way you could use the original VIN.  I guess it stretches the boundary of legality, but just falls within.  Otherwise, I imagine you have to apply for a new VIN and register it as a kit car?

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2008 - 10:03:32 AM »
Pleas excuse my ignorance.  But not being in America i do not know what your laws entale when it comes to the car comming up to specs when built as a Kit car.

I know here in my part of Australia, a kit car must be built to modern standards with ADR's (Australian Design Rules) and the engines are to be of current year model cars with full emissions to comply.  Plus everything that goes along with the driveline etc etc.......... :2thumbs:

Offline Devil

• Ryan's Cars in Barns
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2008 - 11:11:21 AM »
I don't know who has been lying to you, but I know for a fact that NO ONE is making all new all metal body Mopars.  Fiberglass and carbon fiber are different story, that's racing.  I have spoken with many individuals about this, and they all said that no one is being allowed to make Cudas, Challengers, Chargers or anything in between.  You can email Mr. Hakim with Mopar Performance if you don't believe me.  He only runs the place and would be the person who would know about it.

Ryan
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008 - 11:16:13 AM by Devil »
Ryan's Cars in Barns

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
71 Challenger R/T Clone
69 Charger R/T SE
70 Barracuda
74 Dart Swinger
93 RamCharger

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2008 - 11:16:39 AM »
Sorry to burst your bubble, but yes there are plans for new bodies. I can't remember the name of the company but my Dad and brother talked to the owner while at Hot August Nites this year and yes they are in the development stages of new bodies. The first body to be released will be the 70 dart and then the 71 cuda convertible is to follow shortly after. This company is working with Chrysler to develop the bodies. I will ask my Dad and find out who the company is making the bodies and I will most likely see them at SEMA this year and get it first hand that way. As for the title issue there are various methods to go that will allow you to get a state issued VIN and allow the car to not have to meet current safety and emmissions standards. California has the most hoops people have to jump through to do this.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline Devil

• Ryan's Cars in Barns
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2008 - 11:27:27 AM »
Someones been lying to you as well.  There is no profit in making A-bodies at this time, there are still so many available.  It would be a large loss to the company to produce it, it wouldn't be feasable.  That's why there isn't the aftermarket for A-bodies as there is for e/b bodies.

If they tooled up 71 Cuda's first or 70 Cuda's that is understandable, but if they said 70 Darts.... right there shows it is false.  It is interesting that Chrysler has no knowledge of these new bodies being produced.

Ryan
Ryan's Cars in Barns

71 Challenger R/T Clone
69 Charger R/T SE
70 Barracuda
74 Dart Swinger
93 RamCharger