Author Topic: Anyone heard when the new bodies will be released?  (Read 6756 times)

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
Re: Anyone heard when the new bodies will be released?
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2008 - 11:34:42 AM »
Here's a link from Dynacorn's website.  I don't know how recently it had been updated, but seems pretty firm.  These are the only guys I have ever heard of that make new steel bodies for GM and Ford, and can't imagine that anyone else would have the startup funds to do just Mopars.

http://www.dynacornclassicbodies.com/faq/afmviewfaq.asp?faqid=27

Edit: I just saw that the question was answered back in Nov05, so  :dunno:

Also, with regards to the VIN for the other bodies: http://www.dynacornclassicbodies.com/faq/afmviewfaq.asp?faqid=3

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2008 - 11:39:04 AM »
Devil what makes you so certain that we are being lied to and that you aren't wrong? Please enlighten me.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline Devil

• Forward, Together Forward
    • Ryan's Cars in Barns
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2008 - 11:57:24 AM »
A) There is no money in making an A-body at this time.  There isn't a demand.  If there was a demand for 70 A-bodies that might seem feasable, but there is no demand for a company to spend millions of dollars to tool up a car that there is no demand for.  Supply and demand.

B) I have talked with many higher ups with Mopar Performance, including David Hakim, and he has no knowledge of any company offering any full metal mopar bodies in the near future.

C) If there was someone was making Cuda bodies, it would be known by now.  Especially if they are prepping it for SEMA 09.  It would be a big hoopla for new Cuda bodies and there would be something out in the web about it.  The company would want it to be known, so people wouldn't be spending their money on old rusty cars when they can save for a brand new 71 Cuda body.

D) In the economy right now, people don't have the disposable income they did one or two years ago, the market for a new Cuda/Challenger/Dart, etc... body isn't there.

I hope I'm wrong, I really do.  The 70 barracuda body I have sitting around is in bad shape and would love to just get a new body and drop in my Hemi.  Maybe in a few years when the economy turns around, people begin buying muscle cars again like they were just a few years ago there might be enough interest for someone to tool up new Cuda bodies, but right now it just isn't the time.

Ryan
Ryan's Cars in Barns

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hemipwr70/
http://carsinbarns.blogspot.com

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
71 Challenger R/T Clone
69 Charger R/T SE
70 Barracuda
74 Dart Swinger
93 RamCharger
88 Caprice Classic Brougham

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2008 - 12:12:21 PM »
When is the Sema show next and 72hemi, contact your Dad and findout what he knows or can remember please. :2thumbs:
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

Offline Devil

• Ryan's Cars in Barns
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2008 - 12:19:27 PM »
I just sent another email to Mr. Hakim, and he says this,
"According to my sources at AMD and Goodmark, the business case does not support building complete vintage Mopar bodies.

Dynacorn has yet to show a profit on the '67-68 Mustang and '67-69 Camaro bodies and they have been in the market for well over a year.

This a risky venture for any company to undertake and it's doubtful the tooling payoff would be anytime soon."

That is directly from the head of Mopar Performance/Direct Connection.

Ryan
Ryan's Cars in Barns

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
71 Challenger R/T Clone
69 Charger R/T SE
70 Barracuda
74 Dart Swinger
93 RamCharger

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2008 - 12:58:17 PM »
My Dad said it was Dynacorn that he talked with at Hot August Nites. The next Sema Show is November 4-7. I will be there and plan on talking to Dynacorn in person if they are there. I will try and give them a call later (hopefully today) and see what I can find out.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2008 - 01:35:59 PM »
 :popcorn:

Offline Devil

• Ryan's Cars in Barns
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2008 - 01:44:18 PM »
Ryan's Cars in Barns

71 Challenger R/T Clone
69 Charger R/T SE
70 Barracuda
74 Dart Swinger
93 RamCharger

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2008 - 01:45:53 PM »
Devil - I posted those same exact links above (spooky), but the only caveat was that those were posted back in Nov05.  With that said, as much as the economy has weakened since then, I would still be 99.9% sure that that would still be the same answer.

Offline Devil

• Ryan's Cars in Barns
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2008 - 02:31:36 PM »
Devil - I posted those same exact links above (spooky), but the only caveat was that those were posted back in Nov05.  With that said, as much as the economy has weakened since then, I would still be 99.9% sure that that would still be the same answer.

Yeah, I read that, since no one else apparently noticed them, I thought I would re-up them.

Anyone know how long it takes to tool up a car body?  2-3 years?  Could be.

As long as they don't start producing new Challengers I'll be alright.................... crappers

Ryan
Ryan's Cars in Barns

71 Challenger R/T Clone
69 Charger R/T SE
70 Barracuda
74 Dart Swinger
93 RamCharger

Offline hemidude426ci

« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2008 - 02:35:25 PM »
I got to say, as cool as it would be to be able to buy a '71 cuda in a box... don't you guys feel like it would really take away from the originality and exclusivity of these cars? Don't get me wrong, I love seeing an AC Cobra roll down the road, but its a kit car. There's no history to it. Its like a a Stevie Ray Cover band, it might be great, but its not him. I personally wouldn't want to own something that was reproduced in 2008 that was intended to be passed off as something from '70-'71. What makes these cars special are their low production numbers and the miles traveled with countless memories, even if they weren't all made buy us. Just my thoughts.
1970 FC7 440-6 'Cuda 4spd  Track Pack N96

Gone:
1970 Challenger R/T 440 6pack 4 spd N96
1970 Superbee 440 6pack 4 spd
1967 Shelby GT350

Offline MoparMan440

• Drive fast, take chances !
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2008 - 04:00:14 PM »
I got to say, as cool as it would be to be able to buy a '71 cuda in a box... don't you guys feel like it would really take away from the originality and exclusivity of these cars? Don't get me wrong, I love seeing an AC Cobra roll down the road, but its a kit car. There's no history to it. Its like a a Stevie Ray Cover band, it might be great, but its not him. I personally wouldn't want to own something that was reproduced in 2008 that was intended to be passed off as something from '70-'71. What makes these cars special are their low production numbers and the miles traveled with countless memories, even if they weren't all made buy us. Just my thoughts.

:iagree:  I couldn't agree more.

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2008 - 06:46:45 PM »
don't you guys feel like it would really take away from the originality and exclusivity of these cars?

Doesn't bother me in the least, but then a) I have no interest in the value of my car, and b) I have a relationship with my car, not just with Mopars or e-bodies. Put another way, I have exactly the car I want, and I think the fact that I've been offered many times what it's been worth over the years shores that up. Because I have exactly the car I want, what other drivers have or don't have means little to me.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline gkring

« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2008 - 07:31:49 PM »
I can buy hood, inner fenders, front rails, radiator support, fenders, upper and lower firewall, roof, lower a post, lower windshield corners, complete floor pan with braces, rear floor pans, complete trunk floor, rear rails, crossmember, inner and outer wheelwells, complete quarter panels, tail panel, and abunch of other parts I can't think of off hand. As long as it is feasible to keep making all these smaller parts they are just getting step by step closer to having the whole car in pieces. It is getting easier to name the pieces you CAN'T get than it is to name the pieces you can. it was not that way 3 or 4 years ago.
Wasn't there a deal with the camaro bodies where they were not allowed to call them camaros?
if they ever do put all them pieces together and sell them as complete bodies it will be very tempting for people to swap over three or four VIN numbers instead of trying to completely tear down a car and build it back up piece by piece.
Greg
1970 Challenger convertible-in process
1970 Barracuda driver

Offline Devil

• Ryan's Cars in Barns
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2008 - 08:15:09 PM »
I think if I could afford it, it would be a chance to be able make new memories with a new car.  History is something that you make, not something you live.

Ryan
Ryan's Cars in Barns

71 Challenger R/T Clone
69 Charger R/T SE
70 Barracuda
74 Dart Swinger
93 RamCharger