ECS Carpet Finally Ready

Author Topic: ECS Carpet Finally Ready  (Read 2616 times)

Offline JeffAARy

• Orange Mopars Drive Me Wild
ECS Carpet Finally Ready
« on: September 18, 2008 - 01:11:42 PM »
Just got a call from ECS that their eagerly awaited carpet is now in stock and shipping.  For those that don't know, ECS has been working on making an improved carpet for E and B bodies that is shipped flat and does not get distorted during shipping like those currently available from ACC and Trim Parts (folded and jammed in a box during shipping - especially bad in the back of a UPS truck when it's 120 degrees outside and 150 in the cargo area).  I know first hand about the distortion as I put a Trim Parts carpet in my convertible 2 years ago and there was a bubble on the transmission hump that would not go away.  They sent a replacement - same thing.  This was a big issue for me as the car has buckets with auto on the column, so the hump is exposed.  In general I wasn't impressed with the overall fit of the carpet.  It seemed way too taut and never formed to the hump properly.  I messed with it for 2 days, then took it to a professional and they couldn't do much better. 

If interested, call John at 636-207-7767.  I just ordered mine, the cost including shipping is $349.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008 - 11:58:48 AM by JeffAARy »

Offline gkring

Re: ECS Carpet Finally Ready
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008 - 07:40:04 PM »
I think they were going to do something with the 70 models as well that have seat belt retractors under the carpet. Slightly different mold to the carpet?
Greg
1970 Challenger convertible-in process
1970 Barracuda driver

Offline JeffAARy

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008 - 12:07:50 PM »
For more info on this subject you can go to the thread on Moparts.com, although that is a long (and disturbing) thread to read.  I'll save you some time, here is what Dave from ECS says the improvements over the existing carpets are:

"I will say AGAIN that we offer carpet that is basically the same as what you get from ACC EXCEPT:

Our toe pads are consistently placed in the same position with every set. The toe pad is no different than what you normally get, you are simply guaranteed that it will be positioned in the same place on the carpet. This is important due to the way the carpet fits against the console hump. One inch off and you will ALWAYS have an area that buckles or bunches up.

The manufacturer will NEVER let our products sit, scoot or rub on their manufacturing/warehouse floor. You wouldn't believe the dirt that will accumulate if this step does not take place. Of course if you have black carpet this won't be such a big deal. Black "absorbs" and hides the dark colored dirt it collects.

Our carpet is taken directly off the manufacturing line and stacked flat in our containers. We actually pay extra for this because the normal process of the manufacturing equipment (that rolls the carpet) has to be interrupted and the line rerouted. We then have it shipped to our facility where it is wrapped in bubble wrap (FLAT) and placed into a double corrugated 70"X34"X11" box. Frank Badalson was one of the first to take advantage of this process and he said it was perfect. He said it made it so much easier to work with and that this would be a major benefit for the hobby."

Here is a comparison shot of what is currently available versus the new ECS offering:
http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/upload2/4492415-good-badcarpet.jpg

Offline resq302

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008 - 12:23:02 PM »
Wow.  Nice to see that someone actually takes the time and effort to get our cars up to the next level of restoration.  I know it  costs more money for it but to get it in that shape is a much desired effect as I know all too well that the wrinkles detract from a nicely restored car.

Thanks again for all of your hard work Dave! :2thumbs:

Offline 70challrtse

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008 - 04:52:04 PM »
Wow.  Nice to see that someone actually takes the time and effort to get our cars up to the next level of restoration.  I know it  costs more money for it but to get it in that shape is a much desired effect as I know all too well that the wrinkles detract from a nicely restored car.

Thanks again for all of your hard work Dave! :2thumbs:
:iagree:

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008 - 05:04:47 PM »
Definitely worth the extra money from that picture. That will save so much time and effort.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline resq302

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008 - 05:22:58 PM »
Definitely worth the extra money from that picture. That will save so much time and effort.

And time saved equals   :money:   saved.  Or money well spent is money well saved?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2008 - 07:01:32 AM by resq302 »

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008 - 09:07:31 PM »
 :popcorn:

now thats a group buy I would like to see  :ylsuper:
Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2008 - 09:21:26 PM »

now thats a group buy I would like to see  :ylsuper:

:iagree:
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2008 - 12:29:55 AM »
 :iagree: what a brilliant idea :jumping:
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2008 - 08:16:14 AM »
me too!  :woohoo:
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2009 - 08:12:19 AM »
Any reviews yet from owners,  :rofl:

or anybody order one yet?
Go Fast & Have Fun...

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2009 - 08:19:46 AM »
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100

Offline JeffAARy

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2009 - 08:56:49 AM »
I should be installing mine in about a month.  I'm currently doing the Keisler 5-speed conversion, and after that I'm putting in a Classic Air AC system.  After that I'll be putting the carpet in (no need to dump AF all over my new carpet when yanking out the old heater core).

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2009 - 05:49:26 PM »
jeff any news on your carpet install?
Go Fast & Have Fun...