Author Topic: Somebody please save this car!  (Read 2075 times)

Offline FM3V6M

• TX9 383 4spd
    • mytx9cuda

Offline MoparMan440

• Drive fast, take chances !
Re: Somebody please save this car!
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008 - 01:23:54 PM »
I'll tell ya I've always wanted a GA4 71 Cuda. I bid on the car last time and ended up being the high bidder at 7k and change. Not sure what to think at 10K. I'm going to contact him and ask for some photos of the underside. Specifically the rails. With the market being soft I'm like everyone else, I don't want to get stuck into a car that needs a ton of metal work and can't bail if some emergency happened and needed money ASAP.

What does everyone else think ? Its hard for me to pass but like the market I'm tentative.

Offline certifiablecuda

• Rust Loves Me
    • Certifiable Jeep
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008 - 01:29:29 PM »
I would say email him and see what else he can send you.
This car has been up 2 or 3 times on eBay over the past month or so.
I watch 71 cudas all the time and it has been up and hasn't come close to the reserve each time.
There is another in FL that is the same way, but it isn't a GA4, but with pictures that don't show a lot of detail, people tend to be like you said... tentative.

cb
1971 `Cuda 383 Auto
2005 Dodge Ram CTD 2500
1976 Jeep CJ-5 - RED
1976 Jeep CJ-5 - ORANGE
1978 Jeep CJ-7 - SILVER
1982 Jeep CJ-8 a.k.a Daughter Scramber Project

Offline MoparMan440

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008 - 01:34:38 PM »
Yeah part of the problem (for me) is the photos. I'm going to email him and see what I can do. If I get additional photos I'll post them here. Two years ago this thing would be long gone. Now, it seems like I'm bidding against myself. As said several times, man is the market soft or possibly corrected.

craigsmytcudas

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008 - 01:53:52 PM »
i think i would wait till the market improves  and pay more later. no thats not it buy low and sell high later ,yeah thats the ticket .if the rails are good its a steel . no fender tags kill the match what about the door tag thats hard to fake and make look genuine ,blocks and trannys are easy could this be the next 440-6 4 sped clone  :2thumbs:

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008 - 01:58:55 PM »
If what I can see is any indication it might take an intervention by God himself to save that one. Too much rust for me....  :grinno:
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline MyMopar

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008 - 02:00:43 PM »
He said the rails are shot and has a picture to show them.  Looks bad.  For the price, some of the sheet metal should be included or at least available to the buyer at cost plus 10%.
I'd buy it but with 6 cars taken residence at my house I don't think I'd have room for another.  Always wanted a 71 Cuda and doing a 340 3 speed would be cool.  Dare to dream.
1969 (OO===]|[===OO)
1973 (OO/=====\OO) <---SOLD
1997 (O|||||O) <---SOLD

Smoke tires, not drugs!

Offline MoparMan440

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008 - 02:09:32 PM »
He said the rails are shot and has a picture to show them.  Looks bad.  For the price, some of the sheet metal should be included or at least available to the buyer at cost plus 10%.
I'd buy it but with 6 cars taken residence at my house I don't think I'd have room for another.  Always wanted a 71 Cuda and doing a 340 3 speed would be cool.  Dare to dream.

I only see the one shot of the Left Front under the batter tray. I'm more concerned with full shots of the rails. For me I need to know if they require full replacement or partial. For example, I don't care if the rear rails are shot under the trunk pan as long as they are solid up to the rear floor pan. If it needs partial replacement I may consider it a little more seriously. If it's full and on all 4 plus the torsion bar cross brace I'll pass.

Offline The Cuda Guy

• Support Our Troops
  • Resident
  • Pearl Harbor, HI
    • C-C.com
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2008 - 02:40:10 PM »
Tony Miller can fix anything! 

Don
The Cuda Guy Project is on going!

Member Since January 14, 2002

Offline Jacksboys

• Sr. Resident
  • Here Since 08/28/06 GEORGIA
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2008 - 02:20:37 AM »
He has it listed on craigslist for $12995

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/cto/844122430.html
1971 Dodge Challenger:  360/904/3.23

Success is the maximum utilization of the ability that you have. - Zig Ziglar

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2008 - 02:21:43 AM »
 :screwy:
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline enforcer505

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2008 - 12:32:22 PM »
if the rail in the front is like that, i can well imagine the rails under the car are toast. i love the 71s but i think spend a few grand more and get one workable. i say that needs a good 10-15k to make it sound and a 10 footer lol

Offline MoparMan440

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2008 - 05:31:24 PM »
I was kind of hoping most of that was from an old leaky battery ;D. Could be wishful thinking :screwy:. For me, I could spend the extra money but I can't recall the last time I've seen a 71 GA4 BS billboard car. On top of that #'s matching. No doubt this car has serious rust issues. Thing is , I'm not into 71's so much as 70's. This with a couple minor changes is an ideal car for me or one I've wanted. Yes its rusty but I've done worse or at least compairable.

I guess I need to ask myself what I think its worth. I'm in the middle of an N code 70 Cuda and have a V code Chally next. That said this one would sit a while. With the way the market is going I don't want to get into something that could possibly keep falling. What would you guys pay ?? Say if it was a no reserve auction starting at one dollar ? And with the stuff I mentioned (rare,#'s,being ideal) is it just not worth it and run ? Thanks for the advice, it keeps me thinking. Good or bad LOL  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: September 20, 2008 - 05:47:19 PM by MoparMan440 »

Offline cudadave72

• you motorboatin sob!!!
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2008 - 06:37:46 PM »
If what I can see is any indication it might take an intervention by God himself to save that one. Too much rust for me....  :grinno:
:iagree: :iagree: :icon16:
1972 BS23 H code Cuda, B5 blue, 340 streched to 416 cu in, 727 w/ 8 3/4 rear, 7.23 in the 1/8 mile and 11.38@117mph in the 1/4 on drag radials   Under restoration! Coming soon... 440cuin R3 Indy SMALL BLOCK monster!!!!

Offline plumcrazy704406

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2008 - 08:07:18 PM »
wow the mice have been feasting! makes me appreciate mine even more! lookin for 12 large?
for someone who has the means, the money and the no sense, but hey that's just my :2cents:

:clueless:
This thought may not be politically correct, but is an opinion offered. It may be correct? or it may be wrong? It is not designed to appease those needing shelter from the real world.