Author Topic: what do you do for a living?  (Read 9438 times)

Offline bella beeze

• "Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee."
Re: what do you do for a living?
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2008 - 10:25:22 PM »
... I always said the owner gets to do the work the employees wont do, and gets to keep what they don't steal or waste

:iagree: :iagree:
Well Said!! And I guess it is my turn.

My parents stopped hiring employees many years ago when I was about 10 years old, because of things that happened
with various employees over the years. As a result, my parents made working a family affair, however not everyone in our family cooperated and the
burden was not evenly distributed. That is why I do not know what I would call or classify jobs that I do - it was and is
and can be as glamorous as the job title implies I guess -- such as property management, real estate & investment, interior design, personal shopper, landscape design.

Then, as unglamorous as it gets!! - when I use to work in my dad's office from 14 years to 18 years old - emptying garbage and vacuuming the carpets and cleaning the toliets and filing the reports and charts, answering phones etc. then I was promoted to at 18 years to - drywalling, installing all types of flooring, wallpapering, painting, mover of anything and everything, cleaner of everything, mowing lawns, installing fencing, electrical, plumbing, evictions, court proceedings, lawsuits - heck you name it I think I have done it until 37 years of age.

As well, in my twenties I had a 5 year stint as a Law Librarian in between all that and at 25 years of age went back to school for 5 years and got a BA in Political Science only because I just love politics and also took on the responsibility and absolute pleasure of raising my neice (and pouring everything I had into her with educating her and instilling the importance of education - the very best way I could and preparing her for the world and her future) with my parents assistance of course. Then, in 2003 I went on a holiday to Australia and met my husband who was visiting Australia from France and we got married and stayed in Australia until 2008 where I worked for an insurance company - AAMI - and learnt about cars there.

After my father passed away I quit my job in Australia and so did my husband so we could come over here to Canada and help my mother out and sort out her complicated affairs. Sometimes what I do is not smart personally, but I do what is necessary for my family and especially my mother. Sometimes to my determent, but feel that the obligation I have to my mother and late father - parents - outweighs any burden I have to bear. I am thankful and lucky my husband is very very understanding and supportive regarding all this.

So I guess you could say I am a jack or perhaps jill of all trades and job titles.  :roflsmiley:[

Offline 71340RT

• Resident
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2008 - 10:28:53 PM »
I'm currently a Paint Tech for a company that molds and paints plastic bumpers and related parts for the automotive industries oem's.

70 Plymouth Cuda 340 4-speed
71 Dodge Challenger RT 340 automatic
1973 Dodge Challenger 360 automatic EFI
2002 Harley Davidson Dyna Wide Glide
2003 Dodge Stratus RT coupe
2009 Challenger RT Classic B5 Blue
2014 Ram Express 5.7 Hemi 4X4

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2008 - 10:30:22 PM »
Instructional Systems Designer. When I'm working ( :swear:) I design training programs, which in the past I've done for Ford, General Motors, and US Army Special Forces among others.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline Mentally Challenged

« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2008 - 11:20:33 PM »
I build big natural gas compressors for Ariel Corporation.
Chris, Ohio

Offline Got JOB

• Member since 2-14-06
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2008 - 11:46:28 PM »
Outside Plant Tech. (Linesman) for AT&T 35 years
70 T/A Plum crazy
71 vert. viper red
74 Rallye triple black ( sold )
76 Aspen Wagon
West Georgia

Offline DoNotChallengeHer

• Resident
  • Drive It Like You Stole It !
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2008 - 11:51:01 PM »
I'm a mixologist.  :bigsmile: :cheers: :drunk:

Offline fantum

« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2008 - 12:06:27 AM »
I, too, am a proud employee of the USPS.  I am a maintenance supervisor responsible for ensuring our mail processing equipment performs at the high standards expected by our customers.  The job can be fun, challenging, stressful, and managing postal personnel can be like wandering through the world's largest anti-personnel minefield.  But, I truly enjoy my job and have at least 6 more years until retirement.  (That will be based on the investment market, the housing market, and the money I will be spending on my favorite hobby - MOPARS!!!!!

Mike
Mike

Offline LAA66

« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2008 - 12:12:44 AM »
 Bella Breeze, you sound very well educated in the real world. That's the compliment from your struggles in life. Remember, once you master your situation, on your own, you will have control of the outcome. :wave:

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2008 - 12:14:07 AM »
WOW all very interesting jobs!  Cool thread.   :bigshades: 

Well . . I sell foreclosures for a living in Michigan.  Guess what?   I am very busy!    :stomp:

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2008 - 12:20:05 AM »
Still work at the mine(14 years) but now I am an industrial electrician apprentice. About 2 years and I will get a hefty raise. I am now actually learning something worth knowing. I still keep a hand in my original career as a jeweler (20 years).
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline JCWCuda

« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2008 - 12:23:53 AM »
I am a Professional Freight Relocator  :roflsmiley: AKA Truck Driver, I work for R +L Carrier's as a Linehaul Driver hauling Doubles

1974 Barracuda 360
2008 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 5.7l Hemi
1990 Jeep Cherokee 4.0l
Gone but not forgotten
1967 Barracuda 273
1976 Charger 318
2003 Dakota Quad Cab 4.7l
1988 Jeep Cherokee 4.0l

Offline hooD

• detroit iron
  • Resident
  • Motor City Made Muscle
« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2008 - 12:28:39 AM »
I'm chimming in as the 4th member here who works for the Postal Service.  I have worked at the GWY P&DC Plant in Detroit for 21 years.   
-Larry
member since AUG 2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvrWiLgDm7Y

southeastern michigan usa

1973 'CUDA 340

original owner
37,117 miles

:grinyes: *click my E-Body* :grinyes:

Offline JH27N0B

« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2008 - 12:36:02 AM »
I'm one of a dying breed, I am a product engineer for a manufacturing company that actually still manufacturers their products in the good ole USA. :woohoo:
I also work part time as a flight instructor.  I wish I could fly full time but I like being able to pay bills, eat and have a roof over my head so I guess that isn't possible. :crying:

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2008 - 03:14:04 AM »
I'm a mixologist.  :bigsmile: :cheers: :drunk:

If you can make a B-52 you're OK with me!  :bigsmile:
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

nivvy

« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2008 - 03:21:59 AM »
I deal with anything that has to do with gas pumps / sensors and such..... one of the parts i make actually controls the prices at the pump   :lol2:

It amazing what actually goes into making fuel at the pumps and so on... my company is actually making a new fuel vapor recovery system for the new california regulations....  :pullinghair:

everytime you fill up just think of me........   :crazy: