Author Topic: Fluidampr Causing Alignment Problem with Factory Pulleys? 1970 CUDA 340 w/ A/C  (Read 11031 times)

Offline 70SassyGreenCuda

• SHHHH!  My Cuda thinks its a hemi.
Help Anyone???

I had an engine vibration and determined the harmonic balancer was the culprit.   Determined this because I pulled the stock damper, put on the fluidampr and it resolved the vibration.  Anyhow, the Fluidampr worked great and the engine is smooth throughout the RPM band.  I ran it for only a few seconds without the crank pulley and accessories connected. 

Here is the issue....due to the thickness of the dampner, the stock crank pulley now does not align to the other accessories (e.g. water pump, power steering and AC), causing a belt alignment issue. 

Does anyone know what options I have?  I called Fluidampr and they recommended I contact March Pulleys, but March had never heard of this and does not have a pulley kit for A/C cars. 

Is there a shallow (less deep) crank pulley that can accommodate power steering and the double pulley setup for an A/C car?

Thanks for the help!

Ed

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
this can be a nightmare to solve , you can put a spacer behind the water pump pulley or there are a # of diffewrent depth lowr pulleys with different #s of grooves from different years , cast crank 440 & 400 engines use a thicker damper for example

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline carguybradd

I had a similar problem with a steel crank 340 I built for my Duster. The Fluidampr caused both the factory pulleys and my March pulleys to misalign (crank pulley was too close to the block).
My solution was to have a machinist friend whip up an aluminum spacer to sandwich between the crank pulley and dampener.
1970 Challenger Western Sport Special
(B7 blue,white top,blue int.,318/904 - for now)
1973 Duster
(B5 blue,black & white int.,340/727)
1966 Chevy C-10 short/fleetside
1965 VW Beetle
2006 Grand Caravan SXT (for the wife...)

Offline quagmire

• Traction Impaired......
This must be a common issue, because March sells a special thinner crank pulley for applications using the Fluidampr.  Mine is on order right now.