Author Topic: Improving MPG?????  (Read 2176 times)

Offline Jacksboys

• Sr. Resident
  • Here Since 08/28/06 GEORGIA
Improving MPG?????
« on: September 21, 2008 - 12:40:34 AM »
I know that making sure the tires are inflated, the airfilter is clean, and the trunk is unloaded helps, but I was really looking for those things that many people never think of.  So tell us some of the new/different things you have done to help improve the mpg on your current daily driver.

I will start: I have a Honda CRX and the A/C was not working, so we removed it along with the related parts.  Now the engine has less drag and the radiator has more airflow so the fans do not have to turn on as much.  I know this won't work for most people, but that is the kind of examples I am looking for.
1971 Dodge Challenger:  360/904/3.23

Success is the maximum utilization of the ability that you have. - Zig Ziglar

Offline hooD

• detroit iron
  • Resident
  • Motor City Made Muscle
Re: Improving MPG?????
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008 - 12:47:46 AM »
Reduce air drag when on the highway by rolling up your windows and useing the fresh air vents instead.  Even the AC is more economical than having the windows down.
-Larry
member since AUG 2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvrWiLgDm7Y

southeastern michigan usa

1973 'CUDA 340

original owner
37,117 miles

:grinyes: *click my E-Body* :grinyes:

Offline Jacksboys

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008 - 12:51:12 AM »
Even the AC is more economical than having the windows down.

I have to disagree with you there.  I have done multiple tests on that theory and have proven it wrong everytime.  Even Mythbusters tested the theory about A/C being better than the windows down.  At the end of the test the vehicle with the windows down lasted about 15 minutes longer than the A/C vehilcle with everything else being equal.

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008 - 12:57:25 AM »
I bought a larger refrigerator - fewer trips to the store (12 miles away) for groceries.

I talked to the "beer guy" also, I now get a 10% discount on beer if I buy two cases at a time.

Once again, fewer trips to town.  :cheers: I can shop about once a month & be done with it.

I also have a "town list", I make notes on things I need during the week and pick them all up on Saturdays or any day that I just HAVE to go to town.

Offline Killer_Mopar

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008 - 12:58:40 AM »
Well my semi-daily driver is a Dakota R/T that gets terrible gas mileage. Free things that I've done to improve gas mileage include making sure the tires were properly inflated, removing my HEAVY full size spare & jack (~80 lbs), and I started driving like an old lady. Not so costly modification include a basic tune up and a better intake. More costly modification include a better intake manifold and an MSD. As of right now, with what I've said I have seen around a 20% increase since the day I bought it. With the more expensive modifications I plan on doing soon (headers and gears), I should see another 5-10% increase.
70 Challenger R/T SE - The never-ending project........

Offline hooD

• detroit iron
  • Resident
  • Motor City Made Muscle
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008 - 01:00:36 AM »
I have to disagree with you there.  I have done multiple tests on that theory and have proven it wrong everytime.  Even Mythbusters tested the theory about A/C being better than the windows down.  At the end of the test the vehicle with the windows down lasted about 15 minutes longer than the A/C vehilcle with everything else being equal.

If the mythbusters proved it, then I stand to be corrected.  I had heard that information on a car talk radio show and they swore up and down about using the AC vs the open windows.  I, personally like the windows down or the outside air vent on.
-Larry
member since AUG 2007

1973 'CUDA 340

original owner
37,117 miles

Offline hooD

• detroit iron
  • Resident
  • Motor City Made Muscle
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008 - 01:04:10 AM »
I also make sure my spark plugs are gapped properly and the fuel filter is changed reqularly.  Not really new things, but it helps. 
-Larry
member since AUG 2007

1973 'CUDA 340

original owner
37,117 miles

Offline Jacksboys

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2008 - 01:10:07 AM »
Great ideas.

Keep them coming guys.  I am not real particular about what you suggest, just as long as it can lower your fuel usage. 

Offline NoMope Greg

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2008 - 01:44:51 AM »

Clinton, are you sure about this one?  I remember them doing the test with the tailgate up or down on pickups and found that the tailgate up was more fuel-efficient, which I already knew.  But I've heard from several sources, including some automotive engineers, that A/C on is at least as efficient as windows down at freeway speeds.  This is more likely with modern rotary compressors as opposed to the big piston compressors on older cars.

Plus, your hair stays neater.   :smilielol:
Greg
2003 Ford Escape XLS
Currently Mopar-less :(

Offline Katfish

• Resident
  • 70 Challenger
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2008 - 02:38:41 AM »
Here's a common sense thing, coast to red lights.  By this I mean observe what's ahead and accelerate as needed.  I can't tell you how many people I see jumping on the gas and then have to jump on the brakes because the light ahead is clearly red.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008 - 08:36:54 AM by Katfish »

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
  • My M46 Barracuda! Member Since:October 01, 2005
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2008 - 03:00:33 AM »
Brakes have a big thing to do with it.  How you start and stop is also a factor.  I am thinking of putting 4 wheel disk on my car to reduce drag.  How you corner and how you drive will also affect your mileage.  Power weight ratio is also a factor.  Some engine designs are not for mileage and no matter what you do it will not improve.
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2008 - 10:57:48 AM »
Adjusting fuel delivery and spark timing/intensity to create as much power as possible out of the available induction charge. Optimizing alignment to minimize drag. Minimizing tread width to reduce friction. Using synthetic lubricants to reduce friction. Eliminating weight to decrease mass. Using cruise control to make incremental speed changes. Drafting larger vehicles to pull you along. Varying speed by utilizing the physical terrain to accelerate the car instead of using the gas pedal.

Google hyper milers. These are guys using all sorts of tricks, good and questionable, to get mileage out of their rides. My bro experimented with it for a time and was getting 65 mpg out of a Geo metro using a few of those tricks above.

Offline heminut

• Resident
  • owner of the poor man's Hemi Cuda
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2008 - 11:19:07 AM »
I made a 500 mile round trip Friday to watch my son's football game. Normally my Buick Terraza gets around 23 MPG on the highway running at 75 mph. This trip was about 200 miles of 75 mph speedlimits and the rest 50-65 mph mountain roads with 2 pretty steep grades, one about 7 miles long and the other 16 miles long. I used the throttle instead of the cruise control on the grades and drove 70 instead of 75 on the highway stretches. I also took it easy on accelerating and tried to coast up to stoplights and such, basically driving like granny as someone else said here. I didn't waste time and even passed a few cars myself, so I didn't really loose much time, if any, driving like this. The results, 26.6 MPG!
1970 5.7 Hemi Cuda

Offline wunderless

• But existing is basically all I do!
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2008 - 12:50:56 PM »
Tape every body gap...

Kay, so I'm not going to do it but it would help.
But existing is basically all I do!

Offline RaptorF229

• A work in Progress
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2008 - 02:46:57 PM »
I like the tape idea.What kind of tape? :roflsmiley: