Author Topic: Pick and Pays  (Read 1593 times)

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
Pick and Pays
« on: September 22, 2008 - 08:14:52 PM »
Does anyone know of an online list or guide to pick and pay salvage yards?

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline 67vertman

• Sr. Resident
  • Member since 9-23-2005
Re: Pick and Pays
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008 - 09:21:06 PM »
I have used this one before....http://www.yardquest.com/    :2thumbs:

You enter your zip code and it does the rest.

Ron - Born and raised in Southern California

I got the 1970 Cuda, but still need the hot blonde to ride shotgun!

First car -1969 Road Runner 383 4sp

Current ride - 1970 Barracuda 440-6 4 sp Dana 60  (4:10)

Offline lumpy

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008 - 09:24:35 PM »
Are you wanting a National Dircetory? There are many PYP yards out there, some good, some bad.

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008 - 09:38:05 PM »
Are you wanting a National Dircetory? There are many PYP yards out there, some good, some bad.

National Directory, or directory by state or ZIP, anything. Other than looking for parts, I actually enjoy walking through a yard. Brings back memories of my misspent youth. But most yards won't let you just stroll around, so I'm looking for a list of those that will.

I have used this one before....http://www.yardquest.com/    :2thumbs:

You enter your zip code and it does the rest.

Thanks for the link. This looks like a list of salvage yards in general instead of just pick and pays. Am I missing something?

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline lumpy

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008 - 09:48:36 PM »
It seems to be different, depending on where you live. There are many junk yards in Tucson, most of them will let you pick your own stuff. When I lived in Iowa there were country junkyards in just about every small town. We used to drive around gravel roads all day long looking for anything interesteing. What state are you in?

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008 - 09:50:49 PM »
I'm in North Carolina. About 75% of the places I've asked won't let anybody but their people in the yard.

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline lumpy

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008 - 10:05:09 PM »
Thats a bummer. I spent a many of my childhood years climbing around junk cars. My Dad's friend had a small junk yard just outside of Conrad, Iowa. I remember climbing into the cars and pretending to drive them. They are all gone now, enviros cleaned it up. Too bad they won't let you snoop around where you're at. There was a guy in Tucson that had a couple hundred old cars from the 50's, 60's ,70's and he would never even let me in the door. Then I heard he crushed everything!! I dorve by last week and sure enough it's all pretty much gone. But there are others that just let you go and dig for hours. I guess I would just stop at everyone you see until you find one that you like. Most of the big yards around here don't have any old stuff, just a bunch of late model stuff. :puke:

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2008 - 10:08:30 PM »
A buddy in Raleigh goes to a yard where they charge you an admission fee, making you a member of their "club" in the process getting your promise in writing not to sue them if you do something stupid and a car falls on you. I've been there with him a few times, and this last weekend I pulled a set of MAgnum exhaust manifolds. It all reminded me of how much I love messing around in salvage yards. I was hoping to find one of a worthwhile size that was a little closer than Raleigh to me and would let me wander around. I'm sure there is one, and I just need to find it.

- Han Solo, Star Wars