Author Topic: Is a windage tray worth it? Does it hurt at all?  (Read 7158 times)

Offline blown74

• Never go less then 60 MPH in Reverse! Bel Air, Md
Is a windage tray worth it? Does it hurt at all?
« on: September 24, 2008 - 11:56:25 AM »
I'm going to replace my oil pan gasket. I have a Mildon 7qt pan and I was wondering if a windage tray would help or hurt anything?   :clueless: Does it only off pros and no cons?[/color]
American Muscle Rocks !!

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
Re: Is a windage tray worth it? Does it hurt at all?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008 - 12:27:42 PM »
It's purpose is to knock the oil off the swinging crank assembly. On a high RPM race engine that can be worth 35+ hp. On a street motor probably 10 to 15hp. The OEM small block trays are better than the big block trays simply because they wrap around the crank (The extended block design of the BB precludes that), but they work better with bigger louver openings than the stockers have. They have no "cons" unless it hits something. That's more of a problem with a stroker motor than a stocker. Best to check first by rotating the engine with it bolted up before bolting the pan up.  :2thumbs:   
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008 - 12:56:47 PM »
 :iagree: accurate diagnoses indeed :2thumbs:
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008 - 01:49:27 PM »
I'd add that you start seeing marginal power increases as low as 3500 rpm. Granted these may only be a horse or two, and like above, only be worth 10-15hp on a street motor at 6500 rpm.

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008 - 01:54:50 PM »
They're cheap enough that the guy that built my motor puts them in every motor he builds, and there should not be any problems that having one would cause.

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008 - 07:44:06 PM »
 :iagree:

with all of them...

Offline blown74

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2008 - 12:36:39 AM »
Thanks everyone for the great advice. I'm going to reinstall the one I have once I get a new gasket. :thumbsup:
American Muscle Rocks !!

Offline Aussie Challenger

• Resident
  • In Kansas loaded for Drive to West Coast.
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2008 - 09:44:17 AM »
  To answer the first part of your question, is it worth it, YES.    :burnout:
  The secound part, does it hurt, NO.   :2thumbs:
  Installed correctly it is a win win situation. We play with many things on, in & around the motor, the windage tray releases extra H.P. and is a safety devise by helping oil back into the sump and off of the crank for a small investment.   :woohoo:
  In the event that you decide to stir up the motor it is an added inbuilt safety devise.   :burnout:
Dave

Offline Roppa440

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2008 - 11:07:55 AM »
Except that a crank scraper is probably better than a windage tray.
Dave
1970 Challenger R/T
1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2008 - 11:36:19 AM »
 :iagree:

so long as the pan is deep, or it's used in conjunction with a windage tray. The scraper removes it, but I still want to have some buffer between the oil and rotating parts. Most big dollar oil systems use some sort of both.

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2008 - 11:40:03 AM »
make sure you check the clearance while you have the pan off. I had to space mine out due to the stroke....  :working: if you dont check it may scrape with engine rotation and you'll hate that,  :pullinghair: good luck!  :working:
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100

Offline blown74

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2008 - 12:21:01 AM »
Got the gasket in today. It's a Milodon windage tray and it seems to fit fine for clearance. Was a bit tight around the oil pickup. Needed to make that hole a little bigger. Hoping that the weather is half decent so I can put it together this weekend.
American Muscle Rocks !!

Offline Aracer

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2008 - 01:53:23 AM »
For drag racing I removed mine from the 340 because there are baffles in the Milodon Street 7 qt. oil pan. The stock tray leaves little room in the lovers for oil return and no room along the side. The Milodon oil pan alone, has run faster than with it. Like scrabbled eggs get lifted onto the fork, the oil is trapped over the tray in the way of the crank. The oil needs to get back to the sump in the case of a High Volume, high pressure oil pump faster than in a stock pan. On the 440 I use the stock tray with the 6 qt. hemi pan with baffles, because the tray is further away. I think the Milodon is expanded steel, so it is very porous, and I would try that one next.  :2cents:

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2008 - 02:00:10 AM »
they work better with bigger louver openings than the stockers have :2thumbs:   
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2008 - 02:27:37 AM »
here's stock vs. the milodon B/RB tray for reference
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....