Author Topic: Investing in Mopars aint bad....  (Read 1022 times)

Offline back n black

Investing in Mopars aint bad....
« on: September 24, 2008 - 02:57:27 PM »
I was watching the stock market channel this morning and all the analysts were encouraging people to keep their money put.  Investors should wait for a turnaround.  They then put up a graphic showing that from 1998 to 2008, investors had jumped out of mutuals during downturns, and by doing so, lost the potential earnings.  They then showed that people who stuck it out were rewarded with a 2.8% per year return.

Me personally, I would rather lose 2.8% per year and drive my mopar, then hope that some guy on wallstreet is willing to share a 2.8% return with me.  :burnout:

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
Re: Investing in Mopars aint bad....
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008 - 03:32:59 PM »
While I didn't get the return I wanted when I sold my 70 cuda this year from my investment over the course of the previous year during the restoration I made a 33% return. A lot better than wallstreet.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008 - 06:34:04 PM »
This is kind of related...

A few years back when the stock market wasn't doing anything after "9-11", people were taking their money out of stocks and buying classic cars. Witness the crazy sales at a Barrett/Jackson auction back then. Classic cars were like gold. Now that way isn't doing so well... I wonder what the next hot investment might be?   :dunno:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline LAA66

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008 - 07:57:17 PM »
I was watching the stock market channel this morning and all the analysts were encouraging people to keep their money put.  Investors should wait for a turnaround.  They then put up a graphic showing that from 1998 to 2008, investors had jumped out of mutuals during downturns, and by doing so, lost the potential earnings.  They then showed that people who stuck it out were rewarded with a 2.8% per year return.

Me personally, I would rather lose 2.8% per year and drive my mopar, then hope that some guy on wallstreet is willing to share a 2.8% return with me.  :burnout:

They need you to keep your money in the markets during bad times. Otherwise  :bricks1: IMHO.

As for the Challenger, bought mine in 1976 for $1750. It would have been worth about 25k two years ago, that's the time I checked around. Don't know about todays prices though. :dunno:

Sounds like a decent return overall though for that "kick in the ass fun". :burnout:

Offline moparmaniac59

• Resident
  • Drive it like ya stole it!
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008 - 09:11:44 PM »
I let my money sit hoping things would turn around. After losing about 5K, I moved it out. I still have my Mopars and plan on selling one when the economy is right. It's paid for and I can sit on it until things turn around.  :2thumbs:

Matt B.
Matt

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008 - 09:30:00 PM »
I wonder what the next hot investment might be?   :dunno:
  Mike

I heard one investor mention the best current investment on the radio yesterday - canned food.

He sounded scared......  :dunno:

Offline LAA66

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008 - 10:19:24 PM »
 I should have said mutual funds and bank deposits which are a stable basis for the markets. The stuff most of us put our hard earned money in.

Last week the Fed provided the option of FDIC insurance to many of these money market retirement type funds?  :sly: My HSA now offers that option also.  Sounds a bit strange from my standpoint. :clueless:

IMHO, things are wobbling like a bad tire rotation job right now. Hopefully the wheels stay on the cart. :popcorn: 

craigsmytcudas

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2008 - 06:01:42 PM »
 This will be my 3rd down turn .When times are tough i buy and buy more ,I think on a 5yr plan, Some of you think your cars are worth less now.I think mines gold and will come back stronger again . When  some one tells you your cars tanked and you sell you loose but you allowed it to happen . you can control value not the buyer .thats my take .c

Offline MJS73

• Mike's 1973 Challenger
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2008 - 06:36:56 PM »
Look at it this way...if you put your money into a proven, diversified portfolio 20 years ago, would you have more or less money today?

Mike
www.mikes73.com
Don't PM me - send me an e-mail at mjsavage2001@yahoo.com

craigsmytcudas

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2008 - 08:21:46 PM »
Look at it this way...if you put your money into a proven, diversified portfolio 20 years ago, would you have more or less money today?

Mike
  let me sleep on it ,and ill get back to ya in the morning .  :droolingbounce: good point mike.c

Offline plumcrazy704406

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2008 - 08:44:55 PM »

Mike

I compare, what the investment people have done and what we have done over the last 20 years. The investment people have performed, but not to expectations, we have outperformed them over this term. we haven't lost anything in the "long run" with them. but probably could have invested that money better than them.
So you say, bad investment advice? No, I don't believe so (we made money, with what we have in there). It is the programs that the general population is sold on! I guess I prefer to control my hard earned $$ than someone else. Our mopar will always be a good investment for us working hard.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008 - 07:38:37 AM by plumcrazy704406 »
This thought may not be politically correct, but is an opinion offered. It may be correct? or it may be wrong? It is not designed to appease those needing shelter from the real world.

Offline back n black

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2008 - 11:36:39 AM »

I compare, what the investment people have done and what we have done over the last 20 years. The investment people have performed, but not to expectations, we have outperformed them over this term. we haven't lost anything in the "long run" with them. but probably could have invested that money better than them.
So you say, bad investment advice? No, I don't believe so (we made money, with what we have in there). It is the programs that the general population is sold on! I guess I prefer to control my hard earned $$ than someone else. Our mopar will always be a good investment for us working hard.

I prefer controling my own money too,  I just don't think anyone else cares for it as much as me.