Author Topic: Painting an engine  (Read 990 times)

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
Painting an engine
« on: September 24, 2008 - 09:55:19 PM »
I haven't asked a stupid question in a while so I'm due.

What's the best way to paint an engine? I did my 340 when I rebuilt it, but I can't believe that the way I did it was best. I used masking tape and newspaper to mask off areas where I didn't want paint. It was a PITA to mask off everything properly and to get the masking tape to stick right. Also, even though I used high temp engine primer and paint (in rattle cans) it didn't seem to stick well.

So, is there special prep required? Is it best to mock up the motor (with old gaskets?) and spray it that way, then pull it apart and do the real assembly? Is there a good paint to use?

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
Re: Painting an engine
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008 - 10:54:48 PM »
I haven't asked a stupid question in a while so I'm due.

What's the best way to paint an engine? I did my 340 when I rebuilt it, but I can't believe that the way I did it was best. I used masking tape and newspaper to mask off areas where I didn't want paint. It was a PITA to mask off everything properly and to get the masking tape to stick right. Also, even though I used high temp engine primer and paint (in rattle cans) it didn't seem to stick well.

So, is there special prep required? Is it best to mock up the motor (with old gaskets?) and spray it that way, then pull it apart and do the real assembly? Is there a good paint to use?
If you have a set of scrap valve covers and intake, that would be the best way to do it.  Paint everything, then pull it back apart and put on the real parts.

Offline blown74

• Never go less then 60 MPH in Reverse! Bel Air, Md
Re: Painting an engine
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008 - 12:41:49 AM »
You might try http://www.hirschauto.com they have engine paint that you can brush on or spray.
American Muscle Rocks !!