Author Topic: Is anyone a member of Costco?  (Read 1649 times)

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
  • 2017 Carlisle or BUST...
    • JS Custom Cars
Is anyone a member of Costco?
« on: September 25, 2008 - 02:47:12 PM »
I really like the drink "Liz Blizz" made by Sobe, but my grocery store quit carrying it, and when I find it in a convenience store, it's like $1.80 a bottle!!  :22yikes:  I found that Costco sells it in 12-packs for 11 bucks - not a bad deal... ...until you consider that it costs $50 to become a costco member.

I was wondering if anyone had a Costco number that maybe I could just borrow to get me a couple 12 packs to last me a while.

Just a thought.

Jeff
2000 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe - 8.0L V10, 6-Speed Tremec
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Trail Rated - 4.7L V8, Auto
2010 Dodge Challenger SE Rallye - 3.5L V6, Auto (Wife's!)

Offline JayBee

• Resident
Re: Is anyone a member of Costco?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008 - 06:26:14 PM »
I don't know about the US but in Ontario ours have our picture on them. I used my ex-wife's card once and all they said was, "Hmmm, your hair sure has changed".  :lol:  Then they said, "We'll accept it this once but you'll have to get you own". So, you may have to borrow one from someone that looks like you or they're willing to take you.
John

1970 Barracuda convertible
2014 Toyota Avalon

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008 - 07:22:33 PM »
No Costco where I've moved, so I'm a Sam's Club man now  :dunno:

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008 - 07:28:09 PM »
I hate the lines in there. Unless you have a large family, I haven't seen the benefit of being a member there.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline 422STROKER

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 6/3/06
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008 - 07:29:33 PM »
For someone who has money for the other things you do this request is odd. :poopoke:  J/K Pony up and buy some TP in bulk too!

Tom :smilielol:

Plus it will only take 60 bottles or so to break even.
Tom
12.77 @ 108.87 15" Street Drag radial tires 3.23 gear

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2008 - 07:29:53 PM »
Jeez,

This tread would be better if it was about beer, instead of some sugary kid's stuff.   :stirpot:
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008 - 05:23:28 AM by MEK-Dangerfield »

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2008 - 12:34:10 AM »
I can`t be bothered , there is no express lanes & paying to save money doesn`t add up

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Robb

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2008 - 03:03:20 AM »
you can go half-sies with a friend if you get a membership together.    You gotta have a card to get in.

You really have to shop in there.   The wine prices are a joke compared to the local supermarkets.   But the diapers and fish-oil pills are cheaper.
The sheet-cakes are pretty good for 16$    They take old batteries back for 5 bucks too. (as in they give you 5)

If it was all up to me, I wouldnt shop there after all the times I have been there with my GF.   She gets gas there but she goes out of her way to do it and save 4cents a gallon  :crazy:

70 Challenger SE  (440 SIX PACK / Keisler 5 speed, R/T SE replication)       68 Sport Satellite Convertible 383 Super Commando / 727  Survivor

2002 Trans AM WS6 convertible:  DD
1999 4Runner 4x4:  lifted-locked-armored  expedition vehicle
1990 Jeep XJ 4x4:  Front Dana 60, GM-14bolt rear, 3 link, 4link, 5.38 detroits, beadlocked 40's, stretched to 110" wb  Rock Crawler

Offline rallye5.7

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2008 - 08:30:25 AM »
I've found the meat, bread and milk are all better priced than the local grocery. Some things you have to be careful in the pricing but where else can you go and walk out with your weekly groceries, a Kayak and an engine lift all under one roof.

Oh yeah they also have the best prices on name brand tires(saved more than the cost of membership)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008 - 08:51:00 PM by greatwn73 »

Offline jeryst

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2008 - 09:20:50 AM »
Around here, Wal-Mart carries a lot of Sobe products. Maybe you can check there.

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
  • 2017 Carlisle or BUST...
    • JS Custom Cars
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2008 - 11:51:42 AM »
Lol - what a slew of interesting replies.  :)

First of all, Sobe isn't sugary kids stuff.  It's an herbal drink and back when I was unemployed living in Allentown (long before I even knew of this board) it became something of a comfort food.

Yeah I know if I buy a few cases it'll pay for itself, and even then, I can't find it anywhere - no grocery stores, wal-marts, even very few convenience stores.

But in otherwords, no one can help me, so alas, back to the drawing board.

And just 'cause I make good money doesn't mean I want to blow $50 just for the opportunity to buy more crap I don't need.  :)

Jeff
2000 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe - 8.0L V10, 6-Speed Tremec
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Trail Rated - 4.7L V8, Auto
2010 Dodge Challenger SE Rallye - 3.5L V6, Auto (Wife's!)

Offline 422STROKER

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 6/3/06
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2008 - 03:20:16 PM »
Then don't buy it and drink water. :bigsmile:

Tom :cooldancing:
Tom
12.77 @ 108.87 15" Street Drag radial tires 3.23 gear

Offline dougs bs23

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2008 - 06:10:33 PM »
Just break down and buy a membership. YOu'll find that in time you'll save that and more on all the other daily essentials you buy there, Meats, dairy, frozen foods clothing even that LCD tv you wantwill cost less than at giant, best buy and boscov's, and while your there you might as well fill up the gas tank and 6 cents or so less per gallon than at your neighborhood gas station.
see Bill run  go Navy football///fly navy

Offline DoNotChallengeHer

• Resident
  • Drive It Like You Stole It !
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2008 - 07:27:22 PM »
Jeff, Most places like BJ's, Sam's Club, etc will give you a free trial membership. Call and ask if Costco offers anything like that.

Offline jeryst

• Resident
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2008 - 05:16:15 AM »
We have Sams Clubs around here instead of Costco. The membership fee is $40, so when my membership runs out, I just wait until I need something that I can save at least $40 on by buying it at Sams. That way, I feel like the membership is free, and the savings for the rest of the year are all icing on the cake. Sometimes I just wait until its time to restock the freezer because I know I'll save at least that much on meat alone. Their bulk grocery prices (especially meat) are really worth the price of membership. Here are some examples: go to a grocery store and try to buy some Canadian bacon. It costs $3-$4 for a couple of slices. At Sams, I can buy a 3lb package of slices for around $8. At the grocery store, one piece of Cod costs $4-$6, but I can get a 3lb package of Cod for $11 at Sams. The savings really add up quickly. One thing I do when I need something, is check at Sams first. Then I price compare at other places, and if the Sams price is better (and most of the time it is) then thats where I buy it. Sometimes, the price is similar, but the quality is better at Sams. Here's another example: We have stores around here called "Tractor Supply" that mostly deal with the farming community. Great prices on basic items. I looked at a pair of 3-ton jack stands. Basic red and gray, no frills. Then I went to Sams, and found a set of 4-ton Goodyear racing jack stands. Beautiful chrome and blue, with extra safety pins. Same price. Guess which ones I bought? I could go on and on.

Don't you ever wonder why warehouse clubs are so popular and why so many people go there? Overall, I think you are practicing the old adage "Stepping over a dollar to pick up a nickle". You dont want to spend $50 unneccessarily, which is admirable, but you are missing the chance to save more than that, and saving money is what you are trying to do in the first place, right?. If you are like most of us, you can find many ways to blow $50, so buy a membership for a year, and try it. It doesnt mean that you should start going there and buying a bunch of crap you dont need. Dont look at it as a license to shop, look at it as a license to save. You'll have a whole year to get your $50 back in savings, and believe me, if you shop there a few times, it wont take you long. If you dont feel it was worth it at the end of the year, then dont renew.

Added benefit: You can have all the Sobe you want!  :bigsmile: