Author Topic: 4 speed swap steps  (Read 2367 times)

sleepychallenger

4 speed swap steps
« on: September 25, 2008 - 03:19:01 PM »
I havent seen a thread on this. I know that some of you have done this, can you guys post the steps to do this and any pictures of your swap. i have stolen some pics of your swaps, but i dont have all of them and reading written steps is a little easier for me. Also, i plan on doing this swap with the engine in the car, how much of a pain is this going to be getting that bracket welded in on the frame? remember, i have never welded before.   :bigsmile: :working:

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: 4 speed swap steps
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008 - 12:09:16 AM »
Welding the bracket in is not too bad even with the engine in place , once you have the trans removed I would fit the tunnel , install all the pedals & linakge , fit the tranny shifter etc then tack the tunnel down

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008 - 12:23:23 AM »
If you have never welded before welding in the frame bracket with the engine in place not going to be easy. What kind of welder are you planning on using MIG, arc?
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008 - 01:49:18 AM »
A competent welder can do that for you in about 5 minutes for a few bucks :thumbsup:
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

sleepychallenger

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008 - 05:43:13 AM »
Welding the bracket in is not too bad even with the engine in place , once you have the trans removed I would fit the tunnel , install all the pedals & linakge , fit the tranny shifter etc then tack the tunnel down
Sounds good. not sure on the welder type that i will be using. it has a huge tank on it and a little wire that comes out of the handle and goes kzzzzak!  :smilielol: does anyone have any pics of the pedal swap? is there anything to it or just unbolt and rebolt? I saw that i had to buy a special bracket for them, what is that about?

Offline Aussie Challenger

• Resident
  • In Kansas loaded for Drive to West Coast.
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008 - 07:32:55 AM »
  not sure on the welder type that i will be using. it has a huge tank on it and a little wire that comes out of the handle and goes kzzzzak! 
  If it has a bottle attached then it is a MIG, very easy to use, practice on a few scrape pieces of metal of similar thickness first.   :cheers:
Dave

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2008 - 08:34:57 AM »
 You really have to look under a 4-speed car before going any further. You can only see so much with pictures.  Look at a 4 -speed car and you will see the bracket for the pedals on the firewall and the one that swings the pedal. A company like Brewers, can sell just the clutch pedal, pin and brackets, so that you don't have to buy a complete pedal assembly anymore.

Rob
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

sleepychallenger

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2008 - 09:57:16 AM »
You really have to look under a 4-speed car before going any further. You can only see so much with pictures.  Look at a 4 -speed car and you will see the bracket for the pedals on the firewall and the one that swings the pedal. A company like Brewers, can sell just the clutch pedal, pin and brackets, so that you don't have to buy a complete pedal assembly anymore.

Rob

I already have the complete 4 speed pedals (will have when i pick them up from Alan). I dont quite remember what the underside of Alans car looks like, but I dont exactly have any 4 speed mopars anywhere close to me now or when i get home. that is why i am asking for pics. wish i had one to compare to but, alas, my dispair  :2thumbs:

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2008 - 10:10:51 AM »
I have drews pedals at home. They have new bearings and the bushing installed already. In laymans terms the red flag area for Drew is welding the torque bar brace on the frame and the tunnel cutting, along with getting the 4spd tunnel metal tacked down in the correct position. A few tape measurments is what he will need there. The rest is bolt in. He will drill 2 holes in the firewall for the bracket where the pedal swing goes, and the location dimples are all ready there from the factory, so that isnt difficult. The pedals go in really easy. His HP 383 crank should be drilled for a bushing since it's an original hp engine. I never had an hp engine without the flange not being drilled. Most of the time the bushing is already their in a hp 4 speed crank. Even if not, I have the bushing laying around in my tool box. I bought a box of them years ago.

Other than the torque bar and tunnel, everything else can be done in about 1 day of backyard mechanic fun. And remembering to be sure to tighten all bolts to specs. Like flywheel, clutch , bell housing.  All this stuff goes quick for install, just like changing a clutch in any mopar. So having the correct bolts and special clips for everything is his only stumbling block

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2008 - 10:25:06 AM »
The torque bar brace goes into a slot in the frame so positioning wont be a problem. I welded mine in a couple of weeks ago, so I can get a pic this weekend. Now it just looks like anyone else's bracket.   Once you get the pedals from Alan, you'll see how easily everything lines up.
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2008 - 10:34:23 AM »
I did my first conversion when I was 17 or 18. It was not difficult at all.
That was a 65 Belvedere and it was the same as Moparal says. The dimples were already in the firewall for the holes. The hole in the floor is probably the most difficult thing. I made my own Z bar bracket from a piece of angle iron. I worked in a metal shop back then so I had all the stuff I needed on hand. The second was a 70 Challenger and it was almost the same.  :2thumbs:
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

sleepychallenger

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2008 - 11:19:50 AM »
Other than the torque bar and tunnel, everything else can be done in about 1 day of backyard mechanic fun. And remembering to be sure to tighten all bolts to specs. Like flywheel, clutch , bell housing.  All this stuff goes quick for install, just like changing a clutch in any mopar. So having the correct bolts and special clips for everything is his only stumbling block

I did order the correct flywheel bolts, got the clutch bolts from you, and getting the ordering the tranny to bell housing bolts soon. I think the closer that i get the more worried i am getting. where does this pedal brace thing go. sorry guys, my first time, like most first times, i am getting a little nervous before it happens  :naughty:

sleepychallenger

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2008 - 11:49:50 PM »
anyone got any pics of this stuff?

sleepychallenger

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2008 - 12:05:52 AM »
Quote from: Moparal link=topic=49813.msg510172#msg510172 date=1222438251 So having the correct bolts and special clips for everything is his only stumbling block
[/quote

which clips are they?

Offline troutstreamnm

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2008 - 11:26:09 PM »
Here's a pic of the torque bar support on the frame.
08 SRT-8 Challenger
71 GA4 Challenger
70 FK5 Charger 500