Author Topic: a-body power to man steering  (Read 528 times)

Offline BIG MIKE

a-body power to man steering
« on: September 26, 2008 - 09:00:26 AM »
i got a duster and want to change it  to manual steering, anybody know what all would be needed/ problems that i would run into.

Offline mrob

Re: a-body power to man steering
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008 - 11:38:09 AM »
Be aware that the sector shaft diameter changed (increased) in 73. That means that you need to get the correct pitman arm for your steering box.
Also, you'll probably need a steering shaft adapter since the steering shaft for a power steering box is shorter than for a manual box. Flaming River sells that adapter.
Something else that I found out was that that pre-73 A-body pitman arms connect to the bottom of the center link and 73-on pitman arms connect to the top of the center link.
Hope this helps.

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
Re: a-body power to man steering
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008 - 01:28:20 AM »
When I did the power to manual swap on my '68 Cuda I just knocked out the nylon pin in the shaft and pulled it out to be the right length. I then either drilled a hole and put a bolt and nut or welded it (don't remember which :clueless:) I guess they put that nylon thingy in so it can collapse in an accident, but it has more than enough length to reach if you pull it out.  :2thumbs:     
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!