Author Topic: 1971 Plymouth Barracuda - SOLD  (Read 9729 times)

Offline Old Moparz

• Larks' Tongues In Aspic
1971 Plymouth Barracuda - SOLD
« on: September 26, 2008 - 03:15:57 PM »
1971 Plymouth Barracuda

SOLD

I had bought this car to be a back burner project for a later date, but I need to free up my time & space. It's a mostly complete project that was originally a 318, bench seat, auto on the column, but was changed to a 400-4V at one point. Whatever was missing when I bought it, I managed to scrounge up over the last few years with very good, used parts. The main grille & the lower valance insert are the only reproduction parts, & the door sill plates are the only NOS parts. I have some spare parts to go with it, such as steering wheel & column, dash frame & pad for a core, & some interior panels. Please see the parts photo album for what is included.

I never tried to start it & was told by the seller that it barely ran at all when he tried. I wanted it since it wasn't a total rot box that was beyond saving, so the drive train didn't matter to me. He said to plan on a rebuild or a swap, so anyone else should plan that as well. I did locate a 1971 non-hp 383 block in case the 400 is no good, but I haven't checked either one & will include it with the sale. It was last registered sometime in the early 1980's, but I have a current, clear, valid, transferable registration in my name through the NYS DMV. (No titles in NY prior to '74)

The car needs one full quarter replaced on the driver's side from rust & minor accident damage, but the other side looks like the small amount of rust on the lower part of the quarter can be repaired. The frame rails, firewall, cowl, upper front valance, roof, radiator support, inner fenders, & most of the floors are solid. There is a small area on the driver's side floor with rust, but not horrible & should be repairable. The trunk floor has perforations & soft areas & will likely have to be replaced, but the tail panel looks good. Any of the sheet metal that may be questionable in repair, is available after market.

Non gilled fenders, the rear window channel, & both doors have some rust, but to me I think they can be repaired. The rockers, the deck lid, & the hood all look solid, but the surface of the deck lid has body filler. I'm guessing that someone may have sat on it since the underside is clean & the rear edge is straight. Both the front & rear lower valances are dinged up, but they are not rusted & can be used with some minor work. There is a 1970/1972 & up front valance on the car, but the correct 1971 only is included. If this car wasn't stashed in barn all these years, I'm sure it would be trash by now.

1971 Barracuda  (I found a VIN matching build sheet, never decoded it)
Tawny Gold (A dark, brownish-greenish gold) Vinyl top (Was black I think)
400-4V, 727 auto, 8-3/4" rear (Was a 318 originally)
Black bench seat w/ fold down arm rest
P/S, P/D/B, A/C, (A/C parts under hood are missing) non-rally instrument cluster
14" Magnum wheels that are the trim ring style

I would prefer that the car is inspected in person before buying so there are no surprises or differences of opinion on the condition. Right now it's on my lift so you wouldn't have to crawl around on the floor. I will not arrange shipping. Sorry, no vehicle trades considered, but maybe a portion of the sale can be parts for any of the following: 1969 & 1970 Road Runner/Satellite/GTX, or 1968 & 1969 Charger.

Barracuda Photo Album
http://s469.photobucket.com/albums/rr55/OldMoparz1/1971%20Barracuda/

To contact me, a PM on this site or an email to oldmoparz@yahoo.com will be fine. I will reply & give my telephone number if you would like to ask questions or discuss anything.

Thanks, Bob
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009 - 06:26:05 PM by Old Moparz »
Newburgh, New York - 12550

Walking is good for you. It's documented that for every minute you exercise, you add a minute to your life. This enables you to spend an additional 5 months in a nursing home at $5000 per month.

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
Re: 1971 Plymouth Barracuda - $9500
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008 - 03:43:29 PM »
Wow that is a great deal. Wish I had the cash and time for that one. Good luck on the sale.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008 - 04:49:38 PM »
Yeah, if I had the spare cash ( :roflsmiley:  :smilielol:) I'd be all over that. Good luck with the sale.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline jeryst

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008 - 12:58:47 PM »
Why do these things always pop up when I dont have a job!

Offline Old Moparz

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008 - 10:42:58 AM »
Timing is everything.  :smilielol:

I didn't plan on selling it, but a change in plans & some serious thought to just how many projects I can handle tells me to. I decided to move ahead with another project that I had almost given up on. I planned to build a Charger convertible about 12 years ago, but seeing that it was beyond my welding abilities, I gave up on the idea. I had my Coronet convertible for sale, but when I was at the Chrysler show at Carlisle I saw the Charger convertible conversion that MARS Mopar had on display. If they can convert the rear clip on my Coronet to a Charger, the rest is bolt on.

So after contemplating which car I wanted more, which is a very tough decision, I figured I'd try the Charger convertible since I have wanted one since I started driving in 1980. If I don't like it or get tired of it later, I'll hunt for another '71 Cuda down the road.

Walking is good for you. It's documented that for every minute you exercise, you add a minute to your life. This enables you to spend an additional 5 months in a nursing home at $5000 per month.

Offline jeryst

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2008 - 11:49:30 AM »
Timing is everything.  :smilielol:

I didn't plan on selling it, but a change in plans & some serious thought to just how many projects I can handle tells me to. I decided to move ahead with another project that I had almost given up on. I planned to build a Charger convertible about 12 years ago, but seeing that it was beyond my welding abilities, I gave up on the idea. I had my Coronet convertible for sale, but when I was at the Chrysler show at Carlisle I saw the Charger convertible conversion that MARS Mopar had on display. If they can convert the rear clip on my Coronet to a Charger, the rest is bolt on.

So after contemplating which car I wanted more, which is a very tough decision, I figured I'd try the Charger convertible since I have wanted one since I started driving in 1980. If I don't like it or get tired of it later, I'll hunt for another '71 Cuda down the road.

Make sure you take a close look at the car with the top down. To me, the roofline makes the Charger, and without it, IMHO, I think the car looks crappy.

Offline Old Moparz

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2008 - 06:05:35 PM »
Make sure you take a close look at the car with the top down. To me, the roofline makes the Charger, and without it, IMHO, I think the car looks crappy.

It's a love it or hate it thing with Charger ragtops. There's several threads on DodgeCharger.com about it, & I started the one about MARS Mopar conversions at Carlisle. I took lots of photos of the display car so I know exactly what I'm in for. I made a drawing of one over 25 years ago & the first one I saw in person, Pete Veight's green Daytona ragtop, was at the 1985 or 1988 Mopar Nationals. As much as I like the Charger & the roof line, I love ragtops even more. It doesn't bug me that a lot of people think a Charger ragtop looks crappy, I'd drive a car that looked like a brick as long as the top went down.    :smilielol:

Offline hotrod98

• Maniac Musclecars
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2008 - 09:08:52 PM »
Bob, People are giving me heck for wanting to cut the roof off of my 70 Barracuda. My car, my project, my way. They gave me grief for turning my triple black RT SE Charger into a Daytona clone as well. But you already knew that.  ;D
1971 Cuda, Tor-red, Bench seat
1971 Cuda Drag Car
1973 Cuda Clone, EFI/OD Limelight
1970 Superbird (Yes, it's real) Black Ice
1971 Barracuda Sassy Grass Green (sold)
1970 Challenger RT SE 383 Plum Crazy
1969 Road Runner Hardtop
1968 Road Runner Coupe (sold)

www.maniacmusclecars.com

Offline Old Moparz

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2008 - 12:02:45 PM »
Bob, People are giving me heck for wanting to cut the roof off of my 70 Barracuda. My car, my project, my way. They gave me grief for turning my triple black RT SE Charger into a Daytona clone as well. But you already knew that.  ;D

Hey Larry,

I'm not worried about it so it's not a problem. You should see the puzzled looks as people walk around my '69 Satellite ragtop that has a '68 quarter on one side, a '70 GTX nose with a bulge hood, & a '73 New Yorker, power seat interior.  :lol:

If you do end up cutting the roof off your Barracuda, I want to know first hand how that comes out. I know when I first read about the Camaro & Mustang convertible bodies being made, I decided that my Barracuda would become the parts source to have a ragtop if they ever add the Barracuda to the list of repro bodies. (Yes, I remember our conversation too.)

If I had the RT/SE Charger & wanted a Daytona bad enough, I'd do it too. The only problem though, is that I like stock '69 Chargers too much & might not want to give up that body style.

Offline hotrod98

• Maniac Musclecars
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2008 - 02:34:02 PM »
Bob,
There has been a change in plan on the barracuda convertible crate body. With the shakeup at Chrysler, they're not cooperating with the middle eastern countries that have been involved with a lot of this new sheet metal. Maybe later.
I have most of the parts to convert the barracuda body. I'll have to fab up some of the stuff including a sub-frame assembly. I have a little experience with fabbing.
1971 Cuda, Tor-red, Bench seat
1971 Cuda Drag Car
1973 Cuda Clone, EFI/OD Limelight
1970 Superbird (Yes, it's real) Black Ice
1971 Barracuda Sassy Grass Green (sold)
1970 Challenger RT SE 383 Plum Crazy
1969 Road Runner Hardtop
1968 Road Runner Coupe (sold)

www.maniacmusclecars.com

Offline Old Moparz

Re: 1971 Plymouth Barracuda - $8900 (Lowered Price)
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2009 - 01:53:09 PM »
Nudge & bump.

Offline Old Moparz

Re: 1971 Plymouth Barracuda - $8900 (Lowered Price)
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2009 - 10:30:36 AM »
I can deliver this car to the Spring Carlisle Show in April.

Offline Old Moparz

Re: 1971 Plymouth Barracuda - $8900 (Sale Pending)
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2009 - 10:19:01 AM »
SOLD

Thanks for the classified section & the website.  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009 - 06:27:03 PM by Old Moparz »