Author Topic: "Classic Car" companies closing...........  (Read 1179 times)

Offline DAYTONA

"Classic Car" companies closing...........
« on: September 28, 2008 - 08:11:43 PM »
...all the talk about MOPAR and collector cars in general suffering from a stalled/falling market made me curious...the Classic Car Stores will be a good indicator of the true market situation, they could be sitting on a large $$$ inventory of merchandise, paying rent/interest/utilities/wages etc etc and all the while, their product is becoming worth less and less every day with non existent sales prospects....anyone aware of any of these stores closing yet....

...the only example I know of so far is Pro Team Corvettes...they are closing their second store in Auburn Indiana...rumors abound of them dumping inventory at auctions recently

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: "Classic Car" companies closing...........
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008 - 01:30:37 AM »
the 2 local companies here are swamped & need more staff to keep up

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline 72bluNblu

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008 - 01:57:25 AM »
I'm not sure that classic car companies would necessarily be a great first line indicator of a failing market. Prices are dropping, but it seems to me the prices of finished, restored cars are holding a lot better than project vehicles. I think a lot of people are selling their projects for quick cash, but holding onto finished cars hoping for higher prices later. This might actually give more business to some industries, as long as you plan on keeping the finished product for a bit you can actually benefit from a lower buy in on the project...

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008 - 08:36:32 AM »
I think a good market indicator (my area) will be the Mecum Auction in St Charles Il. this weekend...  :grinyes:
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008 - 08:41:04 AM »
I think a good indicator will be the prices from some of the major sellers, like Year One, Summit, Jegs, etc.  If they have to start dropping prices to get sales, then I would say they are feeling the pinch, but if their prices remain the same or go up a bit then I would say they are doing fine.  This would be a good time for some of the vendor members to chime in.  I have a couple friends here in town (Dallas) that each have their own shops, and they are both booked for up to a year in advance, still, and have been turning away work.

Offline back n black

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008 - 12:06:11 PM »
I think a good indicator will be the prices from some of the major sellers, like Year One, Summit, Jegs, etc.  If they have to start dropping prices to get sales, then I would say they are feeling the pinch, but if their prices remain the same or go up a bit then I would say they are doing fine.  This would be a good time for some of the vendor members to chime in.  I have a couple friends here in town (Dallas) that each have their own shops, and they are both booked for up to a year in advance, still, and have been turning away work.

The vendors are definately feeling the pinch right now.  When people have less spare money, they buy less parts. 

With the weakening dollar, we are seeing more and more american muscle sell to a global market.  This influence will ultimately prevent a bigger bottoming out of prices and put many new buyers in the market.  This will increase the demand for collector autos and it will ultimately decrease our supply of rare american muscle within the states.  Collector cars will return, but it will be a different looking market when they do. 

craigsmytcudas

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008 - 12:30:31 PM »
my business is on the up side . but most people i work for have money ,since i have been in business i have survived three down turns but this one has a much different set of rules .that said when gold goes up so does art cars n boats .im booking cars  through next fall ,and customers looking for car dumping deals. money is strong its where to put it thats the problem. i have never herd of a car looseing money on a long term investment .c