Monster 408 off Kijiji (resend)

Author Topic: Monster 408 off Kijiji (resend)  (Read 1060 times)

Offline 72Bcuda

Monster 408 off Kijiji (resend)
« on: September 29, 2008 - 10:51:48 PM »
Well I just had to do it, it was just too good a deal not to pass up… so far so good! :clapping:

Perusing Kijiji I found an add for a brand new full roller 360 stroker.

Details (haven’t got all the receipts yet to get the all the p/n's)

Throwing in the prices for info, let me know if I screwed myself to bad :22yikes:

76’ 360 Block
Keith Black 9.5/1 hypereutectic pistons
Eagle Rods
Scat crank
Comp Cams valve train (thumper series) p/n 20-603-9
Hyd. Roller lifters
Stainless roller rockers 1.5/1
Presuming 302 heads? (squelch) fully worked over with some Chevy (cheaper) valves. Trying to get all the details, the head guy is supposed to be a wizard.
RPM air gap intake.

I knew that if I had one of the better engine building shops in town put this engine together for me it would cost in the range of $10-12K. Advertised price $6K, talked him down to $5K plus he would take the parts I was collecting for a build off my hands at value. $4.5K.

I realized my tired old 904 would about blow up with the 480 est. HP this engine would put out so at the mechanics (engine owner’s) suggestion he put a ’72 727 together for me with a stage 2 B&M build. I may have been a little hasty on this because it doesn’t appear to have PTKD and after going into it three times during test now it’s hesitating in intersections (stuck governor?) $800.  :banghead:

Anyway it’s in, running and all hooked up and I’ve been testing it out.

Here’s some anticipated and unanticipated changes that added to costs and frustrations;

1. Installation $500
2. Hooker Comp headers 166.65 HOK-5901
3. Header Collectors 29.82 HOK-11040
4. MSD billet Dist. 223.51 MSD-8534
5. Trans mount kit (Energy suspension) 14.85 NRG 5-1101G
6. Re-work driveshaft for 727 197.20 (change yoke & shorten)
7. Mallory Hyfire VI ignition $150 (used)
8. Torque converter $259 (2500 stall I think) BAM-10415

Hey guess what the engine’s internally balanced now!

9. New flexplate and balancer 159.75
10. Credit for core’s ($100)

So far it’s wicked powerful, ticket territory right away with a throttle tromp. Very lopey idle & makes me grin being around the car even when it’s not running. I’m pretty sure I’m going to get a noise complaint from my neighbors. Who knew exahaust dumps before the axles were so loud, they weren’t bad before  :swear: :woohoo:.

What’s not right.

1.   I’ve still got a nasty highway high speed vibration, thought it might be the tranny mount before with the old drivetrain, now that it’s changed I’ll have to get the wheel balance checked. driveshaft was supposed to be balenced, can't see the differential causing this much vibration.

2.   Random misfire, getting rid of the platinum plugs hopefully some autolite 65’s will help. Wires aren’t very old but may need changing.  Hard to find with a lopey idle, slight off idle found it.

3.   600 cfm Edelbrock performer carb, too small? Not too bad according to the calculation. 408*5500/3456=649CFM 408*6000/3456=708CFM.

4.   Tach now dead, adapter required.

5.   Trans launch bad, it was good for a day or so. At least the builder is willing to keep going at it  :working:

6.   No power brakes near idle anymore, (Watch Out!) I’ll try a vacuum canister.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008 - 11:08:00 PM by 72Bcuda »
72 Barracuda - 07 RAM HemiSportQuad - 05 Durango SLT Hemi

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
Re: Monster 408 off Kijiji (resend)
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008 - 11:14:57 PM »
The only things I don't like are the switch to a 727 that wasn't necessary with a properly built 904 that will always go quicker and faster because it uses less hp, and the little carb. Forget the factory ratings on carbs because none of them ever flow as advertised. I'd go with a 750 or 800 on a healthy 408. You can forget about gas mileage, so let it breath.   :2cents:
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline 72Bcuda

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008 - 11:50:11 PM »
Thanks, I really wanted to do a 4sp/6sp conversion eventually but I knew the 904 was tired and the 727 kit was sitting right beside the engine when I first looked at it. The price seemed along the lines of the kit and labor with a free core so I jumped in. I'll admit a bias against the 904 just because it was behind the orginal 3182V. A guy should grow up already. :eek4:

Properly built definately seems to be the current transmission issue, although the guy's been doggedly cracking it open every time without complaint.

Oh ya... gas milage, what gas milage, noticed that.

Offline go-fish

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008 - 12:11:48 AM »
Awesome! Good call on the headers, I got a set of Hedman Husler 1 7/8". A little big for your ap I think so your Hooker 5901's should be perfect. I think they are what 1 5/8"?
On the carb I would shoot for a new 750 Holley. I am using a 750 on my roller 408 which is supercharged (max 650, street tuned 584hp) and works out perfect, for you N/A motor I think it would be a great fit too.
Do yourself a favor and get some Summit plug wire boots http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?N=115&Ntk=P_SKU&Ntt=SUM-350109
and protect your wires from the headers. Also some spark plug wire seperators http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=MOR%2D72163&N=700+115&autoview=sku

And an asthetics tip: Hide your box.
I just put an MSD box on my car in the same location as you HyFire. I felt it was a little tacky being in the engine bay and the header heat and moisture can damage those expensive electronics. I made a stensil of the box's outline and took off my cowl screen. I test fit the box under the dash by taking the glove box out. I then dropped the heater box to make sure I didn't drill into it.
I positioned the stencil accordingly and walla, I had my box hidden.

Offline 72Bcuda

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008 - 12:47:26 AM »
1.625 according to the Hooker site.

Actually I suggested Hedman's but my mechanic asked the speed parts guy and he said that these Hookers were the easiest/best application for E-bodies so we went for that. (short of TTi's I suppose) My mechanic also sandblasted and spray can ceramic coated (VHT) the headers for me no charge.

Apparently it took over an hour to get the drivers side header in because of interference with the power steering, also the standard starter is going to be a ***** to get out. The drivers header droops a bit below the standard oil pan level but it's better than I thought they would be overall. I can barely make out that there's a header on the passenger side from the front so clearance is great for that side.

It's a bit embarassing to admit I handed off the majority of the work on the car, but I'm out on the road for a period of time and weekends alone wouldn't get the car done very quick aside from all my other comitments. All in all it didn't go to bad. Got as dirty as time and family would allow.

I'd love to get rid of all the clutter under the hood, It'll come eventually.

Thanks for the feedback