Author Topic: Numbers Matching Poll  (Read 5345 times)

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
Re: Numbers Matching Poll
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2008 - 08:47:19 PM »
I like both. I can play with the non numbers cars and make them exactly how I want them. But there is definitely something to be said about having a numbers matching J, V, or R code car. But I have to say a guy I know who has many numbers matching hemi cudas one of them (an original paint panther pink white vinyl top 70 hemi cuda) he is afraid to do anything with do to fear of screwing it up or damaging it.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline plumcrazy704406

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2008 - 08:52:20 PM »
I bought a low mileage numbers car strickly because that's what I wanted to drive. I had big plans to repaint etc.etc.etc. Problem is,the car was clean, had history and the value was increasing to the point that I am not enjoying it! I am not driving it! I would have been better of with a non numbers car for all intense purposes. Did I pay more for it at the time? yeppers, I did. That doesn't bother me though. Maybe sometime I'll throw in the towel and enjoy it.

:2thumbs:
 :canada:
This thought may not be politically correct, but is an opinion offered. It may be correct? or it may be wrong? It is not designed to appease those needing shelter from the real world.

craigsmytcudas

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2008 - 09:12:58 PM »
I bought a low mileage numbers car strickly because that's what I wanted to drive. I had big plans to repaint etc.etc.etc. Problem is,the car was clean, had history and the value was increasing to the point that I am not enjoying it! I am not driving it! I would have been better of with a non numbers car for all intense purposes. Did I pay more for it at the time? yeppers, I did. That doesn't bother me though. Maybe sometime I'll throw in the towel and enjoy it.

:2thumbs:
 :canada: i have the same dilema but if you trash the engine along the way and loose 10% in value and you drive the car for 5 years and the car is lets say 100k before.  your hobby only cost you 2k a year ,not much of a reason to care. or lets say who cares about #s on any car under 100k the 10% issue becomes mute, we loose more on our work vehicles in one year .i say enjoy it like theres no tomorrow .c

Offline moparnut

• Resident
  • Nutin like a nice Piece of Hickory"Clint Eastwood
    • My Photo's
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2008 - 12:30:53 AM »
WHy does it matter if the car is numbers only if its a 440,440-6 or hemi? If your a true mopar lover you would want to save even the /6 cars for originality, Maybe i bleed mopar blue more than most. I happen to be a 383 fan as well as 440's and hemi's. The 383 is no slouch, ford and chevy guys would kill for a BB in any of their cars, most have SB's. I remember just a few years ago most people here were saying dump the 340 and build a 360, you get more HP's with a 360. Times have changed for sure, now everyone is after 340's. Ive always loved the 340 too.
70 Barracuda Gran Coupe,383-4bbl,# Match
2012 Subaru Forester
70 D100 Adventurer 383 pickup
02 F250 S'cab Powerstroke 7.3 4x4 6 speed Manual
06 Honda VTX1800S Spec 3

Offline bella beeze

• "Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee."
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2008 - 01:55:02 AM »
I do not have a history with cars as most of you do, as i am new to all this. But i think a numbers car is a very personal thing.

Me, personally if I was to buy a mopar say for example the car of the month!! ( i love that beautiful car BTW) the thing that interests me the most
about the car is it is a survivor and I am assuming matching numbers also because it says it is all original. Matching numbers for me gives any car more appeal and attraction for me because it is - as it was, when new -  or at least as close as you can get to the condition from new. Buying a bit of nostalgia does it for me and so does that car of the month!

Offline BadJoey

« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2008 - 07:02:01 AM »

If I was buying for a investment I would want numbers matching . Of course that means keeping it tucked away in the garage . Scared to drive it .

If I wanted a car to cruise in and have some fun a clone is fine .

Personally I would chose the fun car but to each their own . :burnout:

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2008 - 08:38:06 AM »
WHy does it matter if the car is numbers only if its a 440,440-6 or hemi? If your a true mopar lover you would want to save even the /6 cars for originality, Maybe i bleed mopar blue more than most.
As for myself, the reason I would never fork over extra money for a /6 or 318 numbers car is because it is basically useless to me in that regard.  It will not be worth anything as an investment because there is not much of a market for those cars, and I would not enjoy it nearly as much because it will not have the performance of a big block or 340.  Maybe in another 10 or 15 years it might be worth something when there is a smaller supply, but the same can be said for any E Body, numbers or not.  Besides, most people who buy a /6 or 318 are buying it to put in a big block.  Just my  :2cents:
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008 - 08:41:19 AM by 73Chally »

sleepychallenger

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2008 - 08:54:05 AM »
0% for me as well. I have a numbers matching 383 just by chance, and yes, i like it being a numbers matching car, but it is also the things that i like. I am planning a 4 speed swap for her, but thats just me. even if it was a TA non numbers, or a TA clone, or Hemi clone, whatever, i want it because it is a MOPAR that i love and what i am looking for. just me though

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2008 - 09:36:17 AM »
Eh, for me, I don't think I would pay want to pay more for a #s matching car, or maybe a tiny bit more like 10% tops just for the vanity of it, just so I could say, "Numbers matching" to someone and get an "Ooooo" and an "Ahhh" every so often... I must have poor self esteem?  :roflsmiley:  :faint:

Now if I was selling that #'s matching car...that would be different.... it may even have those optional Hemi lugnuts!  :stirpot:  :grinyes:  :poopoke:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline moparnut

• Resident
    • My Photo's
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2008 - 10:51:23 AM »
As for myself, the reason I would never fork over extra money for a /6 or 318 numbers car is because it is basically useless to me in that regard.  It will not be worth anything as an investment because there is not much of a market for those cars, and I would not enjoy it nearly as much because it will not have the performance of a big block or 340.  Maybe in another 10 or 15 years it might be worth something when there is a smaller supply, but the same can be said for any E Body, numbers or not.  Besides, most people who buy a /6 or 318 are buying it to put in a big block.  Just my  :2cents:
I guess we all how our own opinions on our hobby and how we like to do it. To me the numbers stuff isn't for resale or i wouldn't care is a SB or /6 car was numbers, so I would want whatever size engine the car came with. At least in my own opinion, I like the car to be as original as possible, no matter what it came with. Anyone can build a non numbers modified car, once the numbers are gone, its just another modifed car in the endless sea of modified cars.
2012 Subaru Forester
06 Honda VTX1800S Spec 3

sleepychallenger

« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2008 - 10:59:42 AM »
I guess we all how our own opinions on our hobby and how we like to do it. To me the numbers stuff isn't for resale or i wouldn't care is a SB or /6 car was numbers, so I would want whatever size engine the car came with. At least in my own opinion, I like the car to be as original as possible, no matter what it came with. Anyone can build a non numbers modified car, once the numbers are gone, its just another modifed car in the endless sea of modified cars.
well, would it have to be numbers or just the same size and all that the car came with?

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2008 - 11:03:47 AM »

Anyone can build a non numbers modified car, once the numbers are gone, its just another modifed car in the endless sea of modified cars.

I wouldn't call a custom E-Body "just another modified car". There are cars, then there are E-Bodies. :thumbsup:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline moparnut

• Resident
    • My Photo's
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2008 - 12:47:00 PM »
OK I'll make that correction ,lol
Just another modified E body:)
2012 Subaru Forester
06 Honda VTX1800S Spec 3

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2008 - 01:03:42 PM »
OK I'll make that correction ,lol
Just another modified E body:)

:cheers:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline moparnut

• Resident
    • My Photo's
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2008 - 01:14:47 PM »
Just kidding, I dont think any less of someone that has a non numbers car. Its just not my first choice. that being said, I wouldnt pass up a great deal on a non numbers car, but it would have to be far less that the going price and i may just turn it. Depends on the car
2012 Subaru Forester
06 Honda VTX1800S Spec 3