Author Topic: Numbers Matching Poll  (Read 5341 times)

Offline SilverChally

Re: Numbers Matching Poll
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2008 - 05:36:40 PM »
Unless its something desireable, I'd rather have it with no motor, have plenty laying around here... and its less work when I got to tear them down!  Plus don't need anymore junk laying around!
70 challenger project
68 satellite

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2008 - 05:51:38 PM »
A numbers performance model will always be worth more so I`d pay for it if it was a car I wanted.
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2008 - 06:15:46 PM »
Unless its something desireable, I'd rather have it with no motor, have plenty laying around here... and its less work when I got to tear them down!  Plus don't need anymore junk laying around!

:iagree: I totally agree. Unless it is a 340 or larger it's coming out and I have too many engines as it now I don't need any more 318's or /6 lying around. Plus it is that much less work I have to do on a restoration.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline moparnut

• Resident
  • Nutin like a nice Piece of Hickory"Clint Eastwood
    • My Photo's
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2008 - 07:22:53 PM »
:iagree: I totally agree. Unless it is a 340 or larger it's coming out and I have too many engines as it now I don't need any more 318's or /6 lying around. Plus it is that much less work I have to do on a restoration.
I disagree, nothing worse than trying to find all the parts and pieces from a stripped engine bay. Its so much easier if everything is there for reassembly after resto or mods
70 Barracuda Gran Coupe,383-4bbl,# Match
2012 Subaru Forester
70 D100 Adventurer 383 pickup
02 F250 S'cab Powerstroke 7.3 4x4 6 speed Manual
06 Honda VTX1800S Spec 3

Offline JH27N0B

« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2008 - 10:21:14 PM »
#'s matching is one of the most over-rated factors when judging the merits of a car IMHO. Letter's matching should be the most important criteria (I'm referring to the 5th digit in the VIN of course!)
At what time was it decided that it was of major importance that the numbers are matching, didn't the (little) weenies in the Corvette world decide at some point that this was important?
I bought my T/A in high school in the late 70's.  In the early 90's someone showed me where to look for the #'s and I crawled under my car and found that my engine was in fact matching.  A year or so later I was crawling under the car on a sunny day, changing the oil filter, I looked toward my transmission and saw an area illuminated by a reflection of sunlight, and there it was, the matching number for my 833!
So I had the car 15 years before I knew if it was #'s or not.  After that blessed day, the paint looked shinier, it ran better, and beautiful women threw themselves at me begging me to make sweet love to them! :smilielol:
A few years later when I started looking seriously for a convertible, I ran a wanted ad and a guy contacted me with a great sounding convertible.  However, although it was an unusual "N" code I'd never even seen the likes of before, the 383 block was NOM.  Being desperate, I bought it anyway.  :misbehaving:
In 11-1/2 years it has won dozens of trophys, been complimented by hundreds, featured in our calender, etc etc.  I've probably had it to over 100 shows and cruises over the years, and have yet to find anyone crawling under the car to check out the engine stamping to see if it is #'s.
However, Corvette guys turn their noses up at it, and beautiful women don't throw themselves at me when I drive it. :'(
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008 - 10:23:49 PM by JH27N0B »

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2008 - 10:30:13 PM »
I disagree, nothing worse than trying to find all the parts and pieces from a stripped engine bay. Its so much easier if everything is there for reassembly after resto or mods

Except for the fact that most of the parts are different between a small block and big block, and of course then there is the hemi which is even more different. I'm not talking about a completely stripped engine compartment where anything under the hood is removed that could be, just the engine and transmission. But with a swap to a big block or hemi the wiring harness, radiator and possibly the master cylinder will be replaced.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline moparnut

• Resident
    • My Photo's
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2008 - 11:43:54 PM »
#'s matching is one of the most over-rated factors when judging the merits of a car IMHO. Letter's matching should be the most important criteria (I'm referring to the 5th digit in the VIN of course!)
At what time was it decided that it was of major importance that the numbers are matching, didn't the (little) weenies in the Corvette world decide at some point that this was important?
I bought my T/A in high school in the late 70's.  In the early 90's someone showed me where to look for the #'s and I crawled under my car and found that my engine was in fact matching.  A year or so later I was crawling under the car on a sunny day, changing the oil filter, I looked toward my transmission and saw an area illuminated by a reflection of sunlight, and there it was, the matching number for my 833!
So I had the car 15 years before I knew if it was #'s or not.  After that blessed day, the paint looked shinier, it ran better, and beautiful women threw themselves at me begging me to make sweet love to them! :smilielol:
A few years later when I started looking seriously for a convertible, I ran a wanted ad and a guy contacted me with a great sounding convertible.  However, although it was an unusual "N" code I'd never even seen the likes of before, the 383 block was NOM.  Being desperate, I bought it anyway.  :misbehaving:
In 11-1/2 years it has won dozens of trophys, been complimented by hundreds, featured in our calender, etc etc.  I've probably had it to over 100 shows and cruises over the years, and have yet to find anyone crawling under the car to check out the engine stamping to see if it is #'s.
However, Corvette guys turn their noses up at it, and beautiful women don't throw themselves at me when I drive it. :'(

All of that may be true, I personally couldn't give a rats azz what a judge says. I would never show or have shown any of my cars, past present or future. Not my thing to sit around and watch people go OOOO and AWWW and say "look at that car". I have better things to do with my time. The numbers thing for me is a personal preference, not what anyone else thinks or does with their cars.
2012 Subaru Forester
06 Honda VTX1800S Spec 3

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
  • My M46 Barracuda! Member Since:October 01, 2005
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2008 - 01:16:51 AM »
Like I have said before numbers matching is cool but hard to come by totally.  Something may have been changed over time.  Engines were replaced under warranty and transmissions were also.  I am not a stickler on numbers matching.  The car I have has the numbers matching engine but not the trans or rear axle.  Both have been changed in the past.  I am just glad I have my car and will restore it when I get home.  Not sure how long it will take.  I am going to start getting parts for it now.  Gordon
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline Rare_T_A

• Resident
    • Freiss Family Mopar Site
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2008 - 11:43:56 AM »
I'd say zero aswell.

I had trouble in a different sense buying my 70 barracuda. I didnt even realize it was a quarter scoop m46 car at first. I bought it as is and started building it for my fun car since it was a 318 and missing engine. But then Barry pointed out to me it was my 2nd M46 barracuda I had found, I decided that I had to keep the body and interior original. I kept the 4 speed but replaced the 318 with a 440-6 and a dana 60.

So in my eyes, the engine didnt matter but the rest of the car did. Just to keep it up in the registry.  I never bought any car for resale value, so I never have worried about numbers matching. I am in fact looking for a 8/69 318 to put the car back as it was sometime in the future. More for fuel mileage and rarity

Al I have a 318 that came out of a 70 Charger. I have not checked the numbers on it but if you make it this way again with your truck you are welcome to it.
'09 Challenger R/T  5.7 HEMI Auto
'70Challenger T/A 340 727

Fargo, N. Dak.
My web Site:  http://freiss.co.nr

My Flikr Page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/102813164@N04/

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left!

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2008 - 03:20:54 PM »
I feel like a heel right now. First the hub caps ,and now the engine. I have been super close to fargo 2 times in the last 2 months now. Hillsboro, then Wahpeton. It would of been great just to meet you. Work tied me up with extremely long hrs.

Offline moparnut

• Resident
    • My Photo's
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2008 - 06:57:27 PM »
I dont know what to vote.

I have respect for number matching vehicles and can admire them since they have lasted over 30 years. Having said that, I myself would NEVER buy a matching numbers car unless it was of the cost of a Non matching car. An example as to why: 426 Hemi matching numbers 70 Challenger or 426 Hemi non matching numbers car (originaly 318). Both cars painted show quality and both cars with every nut and bolt brand new. Both cars will perform identically and both cars will be show cars. Why on earth would I pay 300 000 dollars more to have a number that says its "original" when the car driven is the same and performs and feels and sounds and goes and costs to maintain the same?

To me that is stupid. Just to say "Hey i got a matching car" go and spend somuch more $ for a few letters which have nothing to do with how a car goes? :screwy: Those words are not worth the cost.

I like to be able to modify a car to make it how I would like it, where the factory didnt bother making a vehicle better I will. So to me, non matching cars are the best to buy. They are cheaper and they perform identicaly and you can do what you want to them. That = better value for money. :2thumbs:

I agree totally, I have never paid more because something was numbers matching,I guess i just got lucky but probably wouldnt have kept them if they werent. If it was higher than the price i would pay, I wouldn't buy it no matter what. But I do find cars cheap when i want to. I paid 2700 for my GC and 2k(after a swap i had 2k in) for my Bee. Maybe one day they will be finished restoring,lol.
I do also have to state that the engine being numbers is much more important to me than the tranny and rear end. I dont even know how you can see if a rear end is, there are no Vin numbers on it.
2012 Subaru Forester
06 Honda VTX1800S Spec 3

Offline Rare_T_A

• Resident
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2008 - 07:48:28 PM »
I feel like a heel right now. First the hub caps ,and now the engine. I have been super close to fargo 2 times in the last 2 months now. Hillsboro, then Wahpeton. It would of been great just to meet you. Work tied me up with extremely long hrs.

Al
I just checked the date on the 318. It's 3 13 70. I hope that fits in the window of what your looking for. By the way if you are close again let me know and I'll come meet up with you. When you went through Fargo going south I'm about a 1/2 mile east of the 29/94 interchange.

Fargo, N. Dak.

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2008 - 07:55:55 PM »
 :banghead:  Went right by you on the way to Michigan.   I went to the doc today. I might not get to play with that 318 to long. Kinda bummed out right now

Offline drewcrane

« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2008 - 08:06:35 PM »
yes im not a purist,i feel i have made my car drive the way i like it ,and the look too! dodge never made the car the way i liked it so i made it the way i wanted it :bigsmile:

Offline Rare_T_A

• Resident
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2008 - 11:39:39 PM »
:banghead:  Went right by you on the way to Michigan.   I went to the doc today. I might not get to play with that 318 to long. Kinda bummed out right now
If you went east on 94 I'm 2 blocks from the interstate.  What's going on medically? (If you want to share) Tomarrow I go in for a CT scan. They cannot find out whats wrong with me.

Fargo, N. Dak.