Author Topic: ready to dye/paint my interior plastic  (Read 2380 times)

Offline burrpenick

ready to dye/paint my interior plastic
« on: October 02, 2008 - 09:00:17 PM »
I've finally gotten the seats covered and the headliner installed, now I am ready to dye/paint the plastic pieces for the doors/kick panels/seat backs/and rear side panels. The tops of the door panels and back panels are dried to a powder. This junk brushes off easily as you well know. I know they will never look like original, but they will have to work for now. What is the best method of prepping them for PAINT. Yes, I have decided to use base coat enamel paint INSTEAD of SEM dye; probably will shoot the panels with a primer first and add some flex agent to the paint. My initial guess is to sand the panels where the coating has deteriated and trying to blend it into the grain areas. I also thought about a wire brush?

Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

George in Tallahassee

« Last Edit: October 03, 2008 - 01:24:12 PM by burrpenick »
GEORGE
currently Moparless

Offline burrpenick

ANSWER?????? Re: ready to dye/paint my interior plastic
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008 - 02:51:31 PM »
Well, I hope that maybe my research can help someone in the future- since no one offered any suggestions. Interesting that someone did say in another thread that the black panels held up much better than the colored ones. Thats a good bit to remember if you are planning a swap. I simply prepped my (green) panels by wire brushing the loose stuff off (mostly in the top areas where the sun/weather got to them) and then went back over them with steel wool. The paint shop said the base coat paint was what most everyone was using, no flex agent required. One quart with the additives cost me $93. I just washed the panels with Greased Lightening and then another detergent and rinsed them well. Saturday is the day to spray.........still have to finish up the dash, steering column, and carpet.

George

« Last Edit: October 08, 2008 - 02:54:36 PM by burrpenick »
GEORGE
currently Moparless

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
Re: ready to dye/paint my interior plastic
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008 - 03:17:25 PM »
I used SEM too, but the issue I worry about here is having to wire brush the old panels. Wouldn't that take the textured look out of it?   :dunno:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline burrpenick

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008 - 07:50:30 PM »
Yes, I agree that the dye always covers and looks good. I just wanted somthing that would be more durable, and a perfect match color wise. I just had the paint shop use their color gun to match it perfectly.

Did the wire brush smooth out the grain? Some, but not totally. I will live with it. Will let you know how it comes out saturday.

George
GEORGE
currently Moparless

Offline 'Cuda Hunter

• Sr. Resident
  • Tastes Like Chicken
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008 - 08:01:29 PM »
I took the panels to the power washer and sprayed the panels very good.  The soap actually takes off any grease and it also removes any of the powdered texture.  Unfortunatley it does take the texture away if it is really bad.  But it does leave you with something that will take paint very well.  I also always use a flexable primer before paint.  Havn't had any cracks yet with the flexable primer. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Offline CrazyPete

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008 - 07:17:39 PM »
here's the process i did i put it on a local mopar board check it out
http://heartlandmopars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88

1970 Dodge Challenger T/A      http://heartlandmopars.com
1970 Plymouth Barracuda Gran Coupe
1976 Dodge Dart Sport
"Is that an oil leak?  No it's just sweat from all that HORSEPOWER"

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008 - 07:21:53 PM »
I like how you made that fender tag :2thumbs:  Did you put the original up to protect it from being stolen?

Offline burrpenick

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2008 - 08:04:07 AM »
THe original tag was just about rusted away. I had the Alaska fellow help me out with a decode. I am keeping it but didnt really feel a need to have an exact copy of it so I just had a local awards shop make this one up with the correct size/spacing and decided to go with a matching color as well.
GEORGE
currently Moparless

Offline burrpenick

DONE..........Re: ready to dye/paint my interior plastic
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2008 - 01:47:23 PM »
I sprayed the hard interior pieces saturday with the RM Basecoat paint.....no clear. They look fine, with the exception of some of the missing grain and a few scratches. I do believe this method will be far more durable than the dye, of course time will tell. The paint was pricy at $93 per quart. I may keep looking for some used panels that are in better shape than mine and do it all over!  George
GEORGE
currently Moparless

Offline coupman35

• It going to be FUN
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2008 - 01:52:24 PM »
 :canada: :useless: lets see them i will be doing my parts soon also.
1941 Dodge truck 340cu
1935 ford 3window coupe 327cu
1965 Acadian Beaumont Convertible 283cu
1973 Challenger 318cu

Offline Kapteenikosmos

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2008 - 01:53:33 PM »
well you probably already know it but.....

:useless: :useless: :useless: :useless:
1967 six banger Mustang
1973 Challenger (under restoration)
1997 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (daily driver)