Author Topic: What would you have done?  (Read 8196 times)

Offline heminut

• Resident
  • owner of the poor man's Hemi Cuda
Re: What would you have done?
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2008 - 11:40:57 PM »
The cowl # from car A was cut out and removed to car B. I saw the work. Even the CSI people could not tell which was which.

I don't know what CSI people you are talking about, but I can tell you that a law enforcement officer trained in vehicle theft recovery can tell the fraud. I was in law enforcement for over 22 years and I'll tell you up front that there at least 2 other places to find the original VIN besides the VIN tag, cowl, radiator frame and fender tag, but I won't tell you where. If your friend did what you said he did he could be in deep doo-doo if he gets caught! :nono:
1970 5.7 Hemi Cuda

Offline Devil

• Forward, Together Forward
    • Ryan's Cars in Barns
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2008 - 12:18:59 AM »
The ONLY reason to transfer numbers is to defraud people of their money. 

I don't care if my VIN says I have a /6 car and it has a Hemi in it now.  If I were to put Hemi numbers on it, the only reason would be to make it seem like it is more desireable then it really is and sell it at a premium.  There is no legal/non-greedy reason to do so.

Ryan
Ryan's Cars in Barns

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hemipwr70/
http://carsinbarns.blogspot.com

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
71 Challenger R/T Clone
69 Charger R/T SE
70 Barracuda
74 Dart Swinger
93 RamCharger
88 Caprice Classic Brougham

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2008 - 09:14:04 AM »
Well even if you do it the "right" way and rebiuld/replace 95% of the car at some point the vin tag and possibly the body numbers will have to be removed and replaced anyway.
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2008 - 09:40:34 AM »
There is no reason to permanently remove the VIN tag and put it onto a different car.  That is the part that is illegal.  The law allows for the removal of body numbers if it is necessary for repairs (cowl, radiator support, etc).  What is illegal is to take the VIN tag and put it onto the other car, in the effort to make Car B into Car A.

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2008 - 11:18:31 AM »
Taking the numbers from a 'CUDA and putting them on a Barracuda body would be hard enough but then you would have to replicate all the factory holes for the 'CUDA trim as well as studs on top of the doors ect.  Unless you own a serious resto shop with experts on perfect placement you just can't do it.

I knew this guy back in the day that drove around a Barracuda with a hemi in it.  He worked real hard to get the car running right, raced it at the track and did a nice job mechaniclly on it but it was always in primer.
One day at a show I was checking it out at a show and I noticed you couldn't see the numbers on the cowl or support because of thick paint.  Then I noticed the studs on top of the quarters under the quarter windows.  I looked underneath and saw the stock provisions for dual exhaust in front of the rear.  It dawned on me that I was looking at a real 'CUDA that someone put a Barracuda dash in.  (The VIN showed a G code)

I guess it works both ways.  Easy to spot a fake 'CUDA and easy to spot a fake Barracuda too
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008 - 11:40:08 AM by 360cuda »

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2008 - 11:26:16 AM »
There seems to be a thin line on what can be done here.... I definitely dont beleive in illegal activities involving cars, vins, etc....

But, I must say: I have a 69 Dart that some A-hole cut the firewall out of for some crazy reason. I am using a cowl from a 73 Dart. I sure as heII am not titling it as a 73, and I would be sure to inform anyone even though I plan to never get rid of it.   :bigshades:

I would hate to see if the VIN was stamped on the fenders & quarters, we'd be in big trouble......  :bigsmile:
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100

Offline cjm

• 70 Cuda - In Progress.....
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2008 - 03:24:27 PM »
This happened occasionally in NY in the 60's & 70's before computers made life easier..
Car 1 would be totalled and purchased from a junkyard...  Car 2 (similar car) would be stolen and the VIN (car1) would be be placed on (car2) and then sold.....and then registered.... 

Nowadays, if you attempt to register a "junked" car, all serial numbers are checked (VIN verification-performed by DMV).. to match the vehicle...   All numbers (engine,tranny,body,etc...) If they are off of stolen car, you are in possesion of stolen property -- crime....

craigsmytcudas

« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2008 - 06:16:34 PM »
I don't know what CSI people you are talking about, but I can tell you that a law enforcement officer trained in vehicle theft recovery can tell the fraud. I was in law enforcement for over 22 years and I'll tell you up front that there at least 2 other places to find the original VIN besides the VIN tag, cowl, radiator frame and fender tag, but I won't tell you where. If your friend did what you said he did he could be in deep doo-doo if he gets caught! :nono:
   heminuts is correct about the other 2 body numbers . many numbers matching cars on this site are missing body #s and dont even know it .And i  wont tell  . c

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2008 - 06:21:51 PM »
   heminuts is correct about the other 2 body numbers . many numbers matching cars on this site are missing body #s and dont even know it .And i  wont tell  . c

:bigsmile:  I'm quite sure mine would be there. I have all original panels, frame, pans, cowels. Nothing replaced but the passenger fender from a fender bender accident.  I didnt want bondo

Offline plumcrazy704406

« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2008 - 08:57:34 PM »
but in the long scope of things, (this thread has taken a 180) isn't it up to someone to do there due diligence on there potential purchase?
I think this discussion has a million different answers, and it totally depends on who you believe and why you believe them.

:2cents:
This thought may not be politically correct, but is an opinion offered. It may be correct? or it may be wrong? It is not designed to appease those needing shelter from the real world.

Offline cudadave72

• you motorboatin sob!!!
« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2008 - 09:13:48 AM »
 :clueless: I just wound not do that. It sound like trouble to me. If I found out my Cuda had been build around a donor car I'd be pretty pissed!!!
1972 BS23 H code Cuda, B5 blue, 340 streched to 416 cu in, 727 w/ 8 3/4 rear, 7.23 in the 1/8 mile and 11.38@117mph in the 1/4 on drag radials   Under restoration! Coming soon... 440cuin R3 Indy SMALL BLOCK monster!!!!

Offline plumcrazy704406

« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2008 - 06:35:40 PM »
:clueless: I just wound not do that. It sound like trouble to me. If I found out my Cuda had been build around a donor car I'd be pretty pissed!!!
 :iagree:

But if your buying a car being sold as a #'s car, isn't it up to yourself to confirm it? I don't agree with the donor swap 100% because there is usually an ulterior motive for doing such, but if the guys above the board with it, well.............I think that"s a different story.
I like to think there are people that can save some of the "crushable" cars, but at what cost are we willing to let that happen. We are in a hobby that unfortunately will always have some unscrupulous players!

:2cents:

This thought may not be politically correct, but is an opinion offered. It may be correct? or it may be wrong? It is not designed to appease those needing shelter from the real world.

Offline Katfish

• Resident
  • 70 Challenger
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2008 - 08:17:48 PM »
I'll tell you up front that there at least 2 other places to find the original VIN besides the VIN tag, cowl, radiator frame and fender tag, but I won't tell you where.

Are we talking e-bodies?  I find it hard to believe with all the info we have available there are "secret" VIN stampings?

craigsmytcudas

« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2008 - 09:03:54 PM »
Are we talking e-bodies?  I find it hard to believe with all the info we have available there are "secret" VIN stampings?

heminuts is spot on .i found them by dumb luck . i also had a dmv officer look at a car for me a few years ago that was missing all the common #s he asked me to remove myself for a time to check other #s the car came up clean and also told me the complete vin after he ran the #s he took 20 mins for the return info . also katfish when you have cut up over 80 + cars you learn more than the common car nut .c :naughty:

Offline hotrod98

• Maniac Musclecars
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2008 - 09:18:18 PM »
On this season of Chop, Cut, Rebuild they are building an old chevy pickup using a new replacement cab. According to some of the guys on this site, they cannot use the original numbers even though Chevy has accepted the cab as a replacement part. If I see the truck at SEMA this year, I'll have to remember to ask someone about the vin. Maybe they just got a new vin from the state.

1971 Cuda, Tor-red, Bench seat
1971 Cuda Drag Car
1973 Cuda Clone, EFI/OD Limelight
1970 Superbird (Yes, it's real) Black Ice
1971 Barracuda Sassy Grass Green (sold)
1970 Challenger RT SE 383 Plum Crazy
1969 Road Runner Hardtop
1968 Road Runner Coupe (sold)

www.maniacmusclecars.com