Author Topic: Help needed on 318 buildup/THERMOQUAD  (Read 839 times)

Offline e-tek

• My website: http://edanneberg.googlepages.com/home
    • E-Tek Resto's
Help needed on 318 buildup/THERMOQUAD
« on: October 05, 2008 - 09:57:50 AM »
I've been finalizing my 318 for the chilly Challenger and was hoping (OK Knowing!) I could get a bit of help...Is there a set of headers that fit best? Summit has best deals and offers several manufacture choices. The car was running/driving prior - should I do anything to the tranny? I don't want to pay for a complete rebuild, but maybe there's a low-buck check/cleanup I should do?
The carb - A 74 (I think) Thermobog - I rebuilt it complete and was just putting all the linkages back together. Any tips/tricks or things to wathc for here? Seems a right complicated thingy!
Of course any ideas, tips, comments are welcomed. I'll post this pic of it on my test stand, in case you want to zoom-in on the carb. Cheers.

Offline Supercuda

Re: Help needed on 318 buildup/THERMOQUAD
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008 - 10:56:01 AM »
The Thermoquad is a great carburetor, but must be understood to be properly tuned. There is a book about the Carter carbs that will help you here, called Super Tuning and Modifying Carter Carburetors, from S-A Design (SA11). Everything I didn't already know about Carter carbs, it taught me. Air valve tension, metering rod hanger spring height, and a myriad of other specs and adjustments are covered in depth. If you need some specific advice on driveability problems, ask here, and somebody will be able to help. It looks great.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008 - 12:11:05 PM »
the Best headers are the TTi ,  Hookeralso make a specific header that stays above the steering linkage , I have posted the # here before do a search , if you cannot locate it I will look it up again , DO Not use any header that drops below the steering link , it will be smashed flat in a week

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008 - 12:11:25 PM »
Chall Looks Great BTW  :2thumbs:

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline e-tek

• My website: http://edanneberg.googlepages.com/home
    • E-Tek Resto's
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2008 - 07:41:59 PM »
Super - thanks -I'll get that book - I'm sure I'll make use of it. After stripping it It looks like every linkage and pump needs to be measured and reset.
Chryco - I'm leaning to the Hookers, just becuase the tti's are so expensive (in canada anyways). Thanks for the tip on low-hangers, appreciated.