Author Topic: mating a t-56 to a new hemi ????  (Read 7706 times)

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
mating a t-56 to a new hemi ????
« on: October 05, 2008 - 08:18:24 PM »
Hello all!
I'm looking at buying a 6.1 hemi  for a 70 Challenger and want to use a t-56 6 speed behind it. Is the tranny bolt pattern different from older small blocks? big blocks? What about a flywheel? Anyone been down this road?  what stumbling blocks should I watch for?
Thanks in advance!
Brad
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
Re: mating a t-56 to a new hemi ????
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008 - 08:33:06 PM »

Via Scott an XV Motosports it's not a simple bolt in. It requires A LOT of tunnel and body modification to fit the transmission. Sounds like it'll be a cool car! Give XV Motorsports a call. They do the modern Hemi conversions on a monthly basis and have put T56 transmissions behind their vehicles.  :2cents:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline Travis72

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008 - 12:16:32 AM »
As Carl mentions, the issue will be fitting it in the car.  Quick Time makes the proper bellhousing for it:

http://www.quicktimeinc.com/products.html#mopar

There is some good info in this thread:

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=42101.15

Travis
72 Cuda

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008 - 10:20:47 PM »
Wow you guys are awesome!! Thanks! My biggest hurdle would be wiring? Welding and fab no problem but wiring seems to intimidate me!  I'm planning (if I do this) to make my own k-member and get rid of the torsion bars. I was also looking at a TKO 600 Tremec 5 speed. I really want to use the stock console so I'm thinking the 6 speed would be a problem? Offset shifters are available I'll have to research it to see if it can work? I found this company on the web
www.rsgear.com/transzilla.asp   but now I can just get a stock viper or GM t-56 and use the quicktime bellhousing!
Thanks again! you guys are great!!
Brad
Brad
Barrie,Ontario,Canada

My restoration thread 
 My handling upgrade post

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008 - 03:55:49 AM »

The stock console will be a problem unless you spend a lot of time with a ruler and measuring like your life depended on it, even then I don't think so. I'm pretty sure the T56 pushes things towards the back a little. Have you thought about running no console? It's a big price to pay for not having the transmission you require, trans or console? Me personally, I'd go with the TKO-600, I have one for my Hemi 'Cuda, still waiting to get started. 6th gear is cool, I have a T56 in the Ram in my signature below but unless you cruise highways for hours on end @ 90mph it really isn't needed for most street cars, more "bragging rights" (if anything). The TKO is a direct bolt in and works with the console and is rated at a continuous 650hp. Let us know what you decide and how you go about it.

:cheers:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline MoparCar

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008 - 09:02:08 PM »
Tremec is releasing the TR6060 which is used in the new Vette, Viper and others soom with a standard T-56 bell bolt pattern. It has a lot of upgrades stock. I believe the 6th overdrive isn't quiet as overdriven IIRC. Eitherway, plan on removing the torsion crossmember, raising the tunnel and such. There are a ton of aftermarket shifters and offsets available for the T-56. I'm considering putting one behind my 6.1 Hemi also. Keep in mind the quicktime Viper T-56 bell has a cut out for the shifter fork I think where as the GM T-56 version does not. (I hope I remember that correctly) TKO is a great tranny also. A lot of companies will set up a T-56 with a core to your specs and ratios too.

Wes

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008 - 10:41:42 PM »

The stock console will be a problem unless you spend a lot of time with a ruler and measuring like your life depended on it, even then I don't think so. I'm pretty sure the T56 pushes things towards the back a little. Have you thought about running no console? It's a big price to pay for not having the transmission you require, trans or console? Me personally, I'd go with the TKO-600, I have one for my Hemi 'Cuda, still waiting to get started. 6th gear is cool, I have a T56 in the Ram in my signature below but unless you cruise highways for hours on end @ 90mph it really isn't needed for most street cars, more "bragging rights" (if anything). The TKO is a direct bolt in and works with the console and is rated at a continuous 650hp. Let us know what you decide and how you go about it.

:cheers:

Thanks for your input! I'm looking for overdrive because I just finished a Buick 455 into a 1986 regal/ grandnational clone I'm using a t-10 and a 9" rear end with 3:90 gears. This thing is like a "pitbull with aids" to drive . To be honest it's not really fun to drive! It's a street car. It really needs another gear on the highway. I like the quick launches so I don't want to change the rear gears.( Although I'm having clutch slipping troubles) So overdrive is the answer! With my possible new project 1970 challenger I want to "do it right the first time" I like that one can choose the gear ratio's with both the TKO 600 and the T-56 still debating which one? I really want to keep the console. Has anyone here done it with a t-56 and kept the console? If so what shifter did you use? Any part #'s??
Thanks Brad
Brad
Barrie,Ontario,Canada

My restoration thread 
 My handling upgrade post

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2008 - 10:44:16 PM »
What about a flywheel?? Does anyone know if a 5.7 and a 6.1 are interchangeable? Are these motors externally balanced?
Thanks Brad
Brad
Barrie,Ontario,Canada

My restoration thread 
 My handling upgrade post

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2008 - 11:05:23 PM »
Also should be noted that with the new challenger offering the 6 speed that bellhousing, flywheel, clutch and clutch linkage is all over the counter parts now from your Dodge dealer. Also you should be able to use the stock harness and ecu from a new Challenger with a 6 speed as well.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline MoparCar

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2008 - 12:11:06 AM »
Also should be noted that with the new challenger offering the 6 speed that bellhousing, flywheel, clutch and clutch linkage is all over the counter parts now from your Dodge dealer. Also you should be able to use the stock harness and ecu from a new Challenger with a 6 speed as well.

Can you get the Challenger with the 6-speed manual already? I guess I only thought they were auto for now. If so great news! I haven't kept up obviously.

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2008 - 12:20:01 AM »
the 6 speed is a new option for 2009.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline MoparCar

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2008 - 07:28:11 AM »
And all the parts are available now? Great! I believe this is also the new version of the T-56 the TR6060. Supposedly the factory installed 6060s are specific to the engine matching with a more or less integrated bell housing whereas the aftermarket version which they are calling the T-56 Magnum will mate to standard bell housings.

Thanks, Wes

Offline heminut

• Resident
  • owner of the poor man's Hemi Cuda
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2008 - 09:32:26 AM »
What about a flywheel?? Does anyone know if a 5.7 and a 6.1 are interchangeable? Are these motors externally balanced?
Thanks Brad

The flywheels are the same and the motors are internally balanced.
1970 5.7 Hemi Cuda

Offline bigblue73

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2008 - 09:38:25 AM »
And all the parts are available now? Great! I believe this is also the new version of the T-56 the TR6060. Supposedly the factory installed 6060s are specific to the engine matching with a more or less integrated bell housing whereas the aftermarket version which they are calling the T-56 Magnum will mate to standard bell housings.

Thanks, Wes

Here is what we have been told at Classic Mopar 5 Speed.  The new TR6060 will be offered in the Challenger and Camaro.  The aftermarket version will not be seen for 12 to 18 months after production starts.  There are a bunch of upgrades from the T-56 to handle additional torque requirements of today engines.  Will they fit into an E-Body - I doubt it, however someone will more than make it work.  I expect more to come with the retro-fitting of the 5.7 / 6.1 / 392 HEMI's in the very near future as well.

Offline MoparCar

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2008 - 08:35:54 PM »
bigblue73, Thanks for the info. I have an email from Tremec from a couple of month's ago where they told me they will be releasing the TR6060 this fall to the public. So this has been pushed back I guess? Will you be offering this together with a bell, hyd. clutch, etc? I know it will take a bit of cutting and fab to fit. Do you know the 6th gear OD ratio?

Thanks, Wes