Author Topic: Looking at a 70 Cuda - What to do before I buy???  (Read 2509 times)

Offline 2000gt

Looking at a 70 Cuda - What to do before I buy???
« on: October 08, 2008 - 10:37:18 PM »
Hey guys, looking at a 70 cuda, besides the obvious inspection what else should I do?  I did a lien search.  Carfax doesn't work on older cars - is there anything similar for pre 81 cars? I want to see if its been in any accidents before??? Thanks, Tyler

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
Re: Looking at a 70 Cuda - What to do before I buy???
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008 - 10:56:53 PM »
The only thing you can do is inspect it. There is no database that car tell you because there are no records from back then.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline 2000gt

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008 - 11:15:20 PM »
thats what I thought, so just the obvious then

Offline Tom_440

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008 - 11:15:57 PM »
Might check to see if there is a local member who knows his stuff and can join you for an inspection...

Offline LAA66

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008 - 11:27:56 PM »
 Can't exactly relate to your circumstance but here are a few suggestions. Look way up under the trunk for rust by the window and quarters. Also inside the door jambs where it meets the cowl. Jack the car up and roll underneath and look for damage like ground areas from bottoming out or bent sheatmetal.

Going to the extremes, pull the interior door and quarter skins to see whats inside there. Basically look into as much of the hidden areas as the seller will allow. Good Luck :wave:

Offline 2000gt

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008 - 12:26:52 AM »
thanks for the input, where are the vin numbers on the car, obviously the fender tag, dash vin and the rad support one - isn't there one more somewhere else?

Offline BadJoey

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008 - 05:23:15 AM »
My best suggestion would be to check the frame rails real good . They rusted out in many cases . Check for new under coating used to hide bad areas .

Offline plumcrazy704406

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2008 - 07:03:04 AM »
my suggestion,  find a knowlegable mopar person in your area, rent a garages lift for an hour and have them go over the car with you. I wouldn't charge you myself, they may! It might be a good startup investment. This is of course after you have given the car a once over on the ground Some of the move obvious stuff you should be able to find yourself up front.

goodluck

:canada:
This thought may not be politically correct, but is an opinion offered. It may be correct? or it may be wrong? It is not designed to appease those needing shelter from the real world.

Offline cudadave72

• you motorboatin sob!!!
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2008 - 08:12:27 AM »
my suggestion,  find a knowlegable mopar person in your area, rent a garages lift for an hour and have them go over the car with you.

:iagree: There are so many hidden things on an e-body that is so easily overlooked the average person will miss them. I have seen many cars that look great but have several things "covered up" that the car could cost you thousands in the end!!!
1972 BS23 H code Cuda, B5 blue, 340 streched to 416 cu in, 727 w/ 8 3/4 rear, 7.23 in the 1/8 mile and 11.38@117mph in the 1/4 on drag radials   Under restoration! Coming soon... 440cuin R3 Indy SMALL BLOCK monster!!!!

Offline wunderless

• But existing is basically all I do!
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2008 - 01:43:03 PM »
Don't go look at it a night or dusk.  Go in the day time when you can clearly see everything.  (I'm sure that all that goes without saying but still...)
But existing is basically all I do!

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2008 - 01:50:16 PM »
:iagree: There are so many hidden things on an e-body that is so easily overlooked the average person will miss them. I have seen many cars that look great but have several things "covered up" that the car could cost you thousands in the end!!!

:iagree:   I think it would be best to have someone look at it who has restored one.  E-bodies have a lot of "common bad spots..."  :eek4:
*** Bart ***

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2008 - 06:49:24 PM »
I can't really add much more. The frame rails. The trunk area since the rear window loved to leak into the trunk, thus the water never evaporated and rusted everything out. Check the cowl area/firewall in the engine bay. That's another area rust loves.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

kudakidd

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2008 - 07:05:50 PM »
thanks for the input, where are the vin numbers on the car, obviously the fender tag, dash vin and the rad support one - isn't there one more somewhere else?

sorry but this response, you need to have someone knowledgeable in E-bodies with you when you start your search.

Offline 2000gt

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2008 - 07:20:17 PM »
well kudakidd, how bout helping me out then and letting me know where the other vins are.  I have a 70 cuda already, I'm about half done the resto.  My car has a vin on the dash, the fender tag, rad support and the cowl - any that I missed.  Just looking for some advice on what specific things to look for, I know what was rotten on my car when I got it but was wondering if there are any areas I might overlook in my inspection. The seller says its and original quarters car, my cars quarters are lap welded so its easy to tell, would I be able to see/feel the quarter join if it was butt welded?  Thanks for the tips guys
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008 - 07:35:14 PM by 2000gt »

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2008 - 07:24:48 PM »
You have a partial vin on the cowel and zero vin on the trunk lip