GM - Chrysler Merger???

Author Topic: GM - Chrysler Merger???  (Read 7480 times)

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
Re: GM - Chrysler Merger???
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2008 - 08:04:55 PM »
Having worked for both GM and Ford, my opinion is that either the American auto industry will die or the UAW will die.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline jeryst

• Resident
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2008 - 10:32:21 PM »
Never knew the UAW was such a rotten apple. I am all for union labor if it is done the right way. The union should protect the workers but not to the degree that they purposely put out crappy workmanship or to the point that they can get waisted on the clock  :screwy:

Not just the UAW. It's seems to be pretty much all unions. I've worked in several unionized plants (on both sides), and the attitude is the same, regardless of the union or the industry, and it doesnt matter if its blue collar or white collar.  Like I said before, its a mindset or mentality that just takes hold of people, almost like brainwashing.

Ever wonder why old archaic PC's used to cost $5000, and today, they are 1000 times faster, and cost $500? No union labor, which allows true competition in the marketplace. If the same were true of the auto industry, you could buy an Escalade for $6k. With the same union in all of the auto plants, labor costs cannot be competitive to any great degree. Did you know that they add thousands of dollars in import duties to Japanese cars when they come into this country to keep our vehicles competitive? If they didnt do that, our auto makers would be gone in a year. So even when you buy a Japanese car, you are still subsidizing American union labor.

Offline 70_challenger

• Suburban Detroit, Michigan
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2008 - 11:03:50 PM »
Now, wait a minute.  This thread has gotten OT, and taken a nasty turn.

Why have computers gotten cheaper?  Well, technology has advanced, and microprocessors (and a million other components) have gotten significantly cheaper and faster.  Yes, competition did force many companies to move PC production to China, but I don't think that is the model we wish to follow.

And the $6K Escalade...Really?  Well, GM builds a lot of their trucks in Mexico (non-union) now...Do they cost $6000?  You will be happy to hear that GM-Shanghai will start producing a version of the Escalade Hybrid next year.  That will certainly be non-union...maybe that is the $6K one?  I think not.

Please share your source about the import tariffs on Japanese cars.  I believe you have the Japan-US trade/tariff situation reversed (...or else I'm just confused).

Oh, BTW, I don't work for the UAW, nor am I their biggest fan.  But this thread is not about unions - It was started to discuss the possible tie-up between Chrysler and GM.  Either way, they both have quite a lot of union plants and non-union plants.  The fact remains that nobody seems to be able to see what either company would gain from this takeover.

-Tom
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008 - 11:06:42 PM by 70_challenger »

Offline cudax34me

« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2008 - 11:19:15 PM »
personally i feel that with all these govt agencies below that labor unions are no longer needed.do away with them Chrysler,gm and ford could be more profitable and would not be in the mess they are in.as far as Japanese car companies ,if the us govt would have never started kissing their a...s cause they dropped 2 nukes on them,they might have tariffed them appropriately.they are imports,you cant get stuff from Europe that cheap. :2cents:
http://www.rmlibrary.com/lib/usagovernment/labor.php

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2008 - 11:28:27 PM »
Yeah, but doesn't mean they'll play nice now.  :roflsmiley:
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2008 - 11:31:33 PM »
I'll bet the one on the right is built better and will stomp the one on the right :poopoke:

Offline 72bluNblu

« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2008 - 02:32:56 AM »
personally i feel that with all these govt agencies below that labor unions are no longer needed.do away with them

Yeah, getting rid of all the unions is a great idea. We should let the government take care of it! After all, look at Wal-Mart! No union labor and cheap prices!  :roflsmiley:

Of course, there's absolutely no health care, and in the state of CA anyway about half of all wal-mart employee's are on medi-cal, since they get paid near the poverty level. But I guess that's ok, as long as their products are cheap. I'm sure my taxes aren't paying for their medical bills.

Yeah, those unions are bad apples. Who else would make sure american workers can make an actual living wage? with benefits? Sounds like a horrible idea. The government isn't doing so good. $6.55 is the current federal minimum wage, or $1,480.00 a month, before taxes. That wouldn't even pay half my mortgage, and I don't exactly live in the Taj Mahal.

Personally, I'd rather pay a little more for a product knowing that the people that made it can afford a decent life. Now is there abuse? Of course there is. The UAW has insane amounts of power. But I don't think the UAW is representative of most unions, including mine. Now I would guess you would have pegged me for a union member already at this point, but there it is. Unions aren't right for all labor, its true. On the other hand, the example set by big business and government isn't right for all labor either.

A merger between Chrysler and GM is a pretty bad idea. Both companies are in the hole, and taking on the others debt isn't going to help much. Now if one "kills" the other and re-dedicates all of its equipment it might help a little with the capital problem in the short term, but it will cost thousands, if not tens of thousands, of jobs. I've mentioned this in another thread, but even beyond the plants closing the dealerships would take a huge hit, which would also cost a lot of jobs that wouldn't likely show up in the "merger" numbers, since they aren't GM or Chrysler employees. If the government was going to do something, protecting US products and workers might be a good place to start. Perhaps making up for the price difference between products made by folks with a decent wage and benefits and those made overseas by those living in poverty? Although the American consumer could use some work as well, a products price isn't the only thing that matters.

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2008 - 04:30:10 AM »
hey,you mean these two may become relatives after 38 years. :o  :scared:  :eek2:
 :rofl:  :biggrin:  :lol:   :bigsmile:

Just like AMC... Chrysler would become like AMC closed... :walkaway:

Also looks bad over in NA$CAR land of big money for Dodge.

Even in a merger Dodge could remain another year: There is still no official word from Chrysler executives, and the fate of NASCAR's Dodge teams remains uncertain, with the possible -- or probable -- Chrysler merger with/buyout by General Motors. NASCAR executives are not thrilled, to say the least, with the implications and questions surrounding that merger debate, because 11 Sprint Cup teams run with Dodge factory backing. However, according to sources, regardless of what happens with the potential merger, Dodge is committed to backing its NASCAR teams for at least one more year, but perhaps no more. One thing for certain, NASCAR officials don't want Toyota buying up any more top Cup teams, like it did with Joe Gibbs, and they have made that clear to the company. (Winston Salem Journal)(10-28-2008)

:puke:

Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...

Offline pink panther

• Resident
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2008 - 01:14:31 PM »
I'm not sure this could happen even if GM and Chrysler wanted it to, wouldn't it be considered a monopoly then? Ford and the goverment wouldn't allow this from the big 3 i don't think
Scott   -  Member since 9/18/2005

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2008 - 01:18:20 PM »
I have been seeing chrysler/buick/cadilac/jeep dealerships here for years. All wrapped up into one dealer

Where I saw the 09 SRT it was at a lincoln chrysler ford dealership

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
  • 2017 Carlisle or BUST...
    • JS Custom Cars
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2008 - 01:35:42 PM »
hey,you mean these two may become relatives after 38 years. :o  :scared:  :eek2:
 :rofl:  :biggrin:  :lol:   :bigsmile:

Yeah, but in one of those illegitimate, Jerry Springer kinda ways...  :)

"Cletus - I told you I don't wanna make out in frunna ma parents!"

"Now Sara', they're my parents too!"
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008 - 01:38:20 PM by ViperMan »
2000 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe - 8.0L V10, 6-Speed Tremec
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Trail Rated - 4.7L V8, Auto
2010 Dodge Challenger SE Rallye - 3.5L V6, Auto (Wife's!)

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2008 - 02:00:35 PM »
I'm not sure this could happen even if GM and Chrysler wanted it to, wouldn't it be considered a monopoly then? Ford and the goverment wouldn't allow this from the big 3 i don't think

Back when GM had to struggle to stay under 51% of the market share this was probably true. Now that they're struggling to stay over 20%, I don't think it's that much of an issue.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline matt63

« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2008 - 03:21:52 PM »
I'm not a union hater or lover.  Low paying jobs that you can't support a family on are not the answer. However, since almost every part of our economy is getting a shake-up/recalibration I don't see how unions will be exempted.  Hopefully the economy will be better for all once it's all over with.  I certainly don't like the GM - Chrysler merger unless they are run as separate divisions but where is the savings in that?  I hope there is another way.  They can start by building cars I would consider buying first.  ;D
Matt in Edmonton

'68 Valiant
'73 Cuda 340 4 speed (408) SOLD

Offline MJS73

• Mike's 1973 Challenger
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2008 - 05:36:39 PM »
Having worked for both GM and Ford, my opinion is that either the American auto industry will die or the UAW will die.

:iagree:

Mike
www.mikes73.com
Don't PM me - send me an e-mail at mjsavage2001@yahoo.com

Offline KZ

« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2008 - 09:17:54 AM »
article in this week's USNEWS and WORLD REPORT on the mess at Chrysler

http://www.usnews.com/articles/business/economy/2008/10/27/why-detroits-big-3-could-become-big-2.html