Author Topic: GM - Chrysler Merger???  (Read 7470 times)

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
Re: GM - Chrysler Merger???
« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2008 - 09:23:12 AM »

Interesting read (and comments). Thanks KZ. :cheers:

Not even sure how I feel anymore, Chrysler going/merging seems inevitable, doesn't it? :-\
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
  • 2017 Carlisle or BUST...
    • JS Custom Cars
« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2008 - 09:45:44 AM »
Kinda makes you wish they could do again what they did almost 20 years ago - design and produce a car that redefines their marque.  A car that sets the automotive industry on their ear and revives people's love of the automobile.  The last time they did it, it was called the "Viper."  Could this be the next Viper?

2000 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe - 8.0L V10, 6-Speed Tremec
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Trail Rated - 4.7L V8, Auto
2010 Dodge Challenger SE Rallye - 3.5L V6, Auto (Wife's!)

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2008 - 09:54:09 AM »
Kinda makes you wish they could do again what they did almost 20 years ago - design and produce a car that redefines their marque.  A car that sets the automotive industry on their ear and revives people's love of the automobile.  The last time they did it, it was called the "Viper."  Could this be the next Viper?

The last time they did that was the SRT8 range, recently, the Jeep namely. Under 5 seconds to 60 and high 12 second 1/4s stock. OK, so it's not quite in the Viper zone but you see what I mean, mind blowing performance in a vehicle that is just plain out wrong in terms of what it is, an SUV lol. Thing is, no one wants to pay the fuel bill in today's market for said performance. Regardless of car or brand, performance = less MPG = not going to sell. Manufactures are not going to make performances cars in bulk for only a select few. I think we're heading towards smaller and smaller cars with huge MPG ratings. Performance cars for the immediate future, IMO, are all but dead. Sure does suck but at least we have what they have made in the past, available to us, always.

:2cents:

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
  • 2017 Carlisle or BUST...
    • JS Custom Cars
« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2008 - 10:02:07 AM »
The last time they did that was the SRT8 range, recently, the Jeep namely. Under 5 seconds to 60 and high 12 second 1/4s stock. OK, so it's not quite in the Viper zone but you see what I mean, mind blowing performance in a vehicle that is just plain out wrong in terms of what it is, an SUV lol. Thing is, no one wants to pay the fuel bill in today's market for said performance. Regardless of car or brand, performance = less MPG = not going to sell. Manufactures are not going to make performances cars in bulk for only a select few. I think we're heading towards smaller and smaller cars with huge MPG ratings. Performance cars for the immediate future, IMO, are all but dead. Sure does suck but at least we have what they have made in the past, available to us, always.

No no - the Viper's performance isn't what saved the brand.  It was the Viper's departure from the normal - big boxy cars and trucks, grocery getters and soccer wagons.  It was the venerable cross-hair grill.  Shortly after the Viper's unveiling, the Viper grill started appearing on their trucks, their minivans, even the Stratus/Intrepid/Neon cars started sporting it.  It was one of the major reasons why I bought my Stratus coupe - total truth.  I loved that look - the country loved that look, and all Dodge sales picked up drastically.

So no - I agree with you - performance isn't the answer.  It's NEW IDEAS - new designs, new segments, NEW CARS - that's what ALL 3 have to do.  This nonsense of putting a new body on a Durango (Chrysler Aspen) isn't going to save anybody.  Hell even a Viper redesign for 2009 wasn't a real good idea.  Yeah - I said it!  Vehicles like the EV - electric powered or hybrid with GOOD performance and FUEL ECONOMY - I think - are the answer.  Now, the EV is simply a rebodied Lotus - it'd be smart to see a real sleek looking Stratus sedan with a new-age power plant.  Unfortunately, the automakers are refusing to think outside the box.  "Sales are down - let's merge."  Idiots.

Jeff
2000 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe - 8.0L V10, 6-Speed Tremec
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Trail Rated - 4.7L V8, Auto
2010 Dodge Challenger SE Rallye - 3.5L V6, Auto (Wife's!)

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2008 - 10:12:12 AM »

I see, and touche, "fresh thinking" sums it up nicely. :thumbsup: I never realised/knew the Viper front created that classic look, the Rams suit it as well, looks mean and is definitely a well known MoPar trade mark, you know that front end miles away. Only time will tell I guess.

:cheers:

Offline MJS73

• Mike's 1973 Challenger
« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2008 - 10:17:46 AM »
A deal to merge the two auto makers might not happen on reports the Bush administration ruled out funding for it.

Mike
www.mikes73.com
Don't PM me - send me an e-mail at mjsavage2001@yahoo.com

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2008 - 10:28:44 AM »

Could this change (you think?) when the new president is elected this November? :dunno:

Offline MJS73

• Mike's 1973 Challenger
« Reply #52 on: October 31, 2008 - 10:52:14 AM »

Could this change (you think?) when the new president is elected this November? :dunno:

Honestly, I can't see either candidate being for it.

Mike
www.mikes73.com
Don't PM me - send me an e-mail at mjsavage2001@yahoo.com

Offline KZ

« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2008 - 12:26:44 PM »
a big honkin' V8 gass-guzzler doesn't have to be our only option for performance, I'm sure most of you have seen or heard of the new Tesla, 100% electric and it boogies! That's  not to say the price is affordable  or the mileage between charges is acceptable, but the point is, its a start, and if you get enough momentum from the consumers to tell the automakers what we want they will build. I feel for the people who work for the Big 3, layoffs seem to be coming but frankly this problem has been brewing for decades, and we have had this discussion before but I think it is just a disgrace that so many foreign companies came into a market that we literally owned and kicked our a**es. Its time we embrace the 21st century and use alternative technology to move forward with fuel efficient, high-performance cars that look great and are affordable, its only a matter of time.....I just hope now that gas prices are dropping that SUV sales don't pick back up and we don't all start driving more and more....we need to be disciplined

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
« Reply #54 on: October 31, 2008 - 01:06:32 PM »
Um, Jeff, might wanna see how far back the crosshair grill goes on the trucks, it was before the Viper, lol. 

1986 model year to be exact.

Well, if you want to go waaay back,

1970 Dodge Truck

Heck, even the 1991 minivan, and 1991 Stealth had them...

So, no, the Viper didnt spur the crosshair. 

Back on topic, what started all of this?  I mean, Chrysler makes a mean minivan, the LX platform was probably more successful than they originally thought, Ram is one of the top 10 vehicles sold in the US every year for the past few years, so what did it?  I think things like Nitro, Caliber, and Compass messed things up.  I see a Nitro on the road like once a week.  Cheap interiors on lower models, and I mean cheap.  Even Chrysler fessed up about their interiors in the "Dodge" magazine we got for a while.  They said instead of asking what people wanted, they built the interior and asked what people thought of the one already made.  Kinda backwards if you ask me.  The Durango I dont think has sold well since they put the Hemi in it with its redesign.  The Aspen is a joke.  All in my opinion...

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #56 on: November 02, 2008 - 06:13:05 AM »
Um, Jeff, might wanna see how far back the crosshair grill goes on the trucks, it was before the Viper, lol. 

1986 model year to be exact.

Well, if you want to go waaay back,

1970 Dodge Truck

Heck, even the 1991 minivan, and 1991 Stealth had them...

So, no, the Viper didnt spur the crosshair. 

Back on topic, what started all of this?  I mean, Chrysler makes a mean minivan, the LX platform was probably more successful than they originally thought, Ram is one of the top 10 vehicles sold in the US every year for the past few years, so what did it?  I think things like Nitro, Caliber, and Compass messed things up.  I see a Nitro on the road like once a week.  Cheap interiors on lower models, and I mean cheap.  Even Chrysler fessed up about their interiors in the "Dodge" magazine we got for a while.  They said instead of asking what people wanted, they built the interior and asked what people thought of the one already made.  Kinda backwards if you ask me.  The Durango I dont think has sold well since they put the Hemi in it with its redesign.  The Aspen is a joke.  All in my opinion...

Thanks Jeff, good to know and good reference, thanks for putting me straight and posting it.  :2thumbs:

nivvy

« Reply #57 on: November 02, 2008 - 06:38:45 AM »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Of Chrysler's 27 products, Grant Thornton believes some are doing so poorly in the marketplace they could be discontinued immediately. "Some car platforms could arguably go away right after Christmas shutdown," Rodriguez said.
The vehicles likely to be dumped include the Dodge RAM heavy duty trucks, the Chrysler Sebring and Dodge Avenger sedans, and even the Jeep Liberty and Dodge Nitro compact SUVs.
Such decisions are already being undertaken, the accountants said. "There's a lot of planning taking place right now ... Chrysler's decline is pretty dramatic."

Offline wiiildcat

« Reply #58 on: November 02, 2008 - 07:30:50 AM »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Of Chrysler's 27 products, Grant Thornton believes some are doing so poorly in the marketplace they could be discontinued immediately. "Some car platforms could arguably go away right after Christmas shutdown," Rodriguez said.
The vehicles likely to be dumped include the Dodge RAM heavy duty trucks, the Chrysler Sebring and Dodge Avenger sedans, and even the Jeep Liberty and Dodge Nitro compact SUVs.
Such decisions are already being undertaken, the accountants said. "There's a lot of planning taking place right now ... Chrysler's decline is pretty dramatic."

If their not selling then they should be dropped, I know dropping the heavy duty Ram doesn't make since to me (since I own 3 of them) but if sells are costing them concentrate on what makes you money not style points. I wish they could grow and make money but if something in my business is not working I have to drop the idea and do something different..

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #59 on: November 02, 2008 - 10:30:35 AM »
From what I saw on the news today, there will not be any merger.   :popcorn: