Author Topic: Removal/Repair - Heat and A/C controls  (Read 3353 times)

Offline Glennster

Removal/Repair - Heat and A/C controls
« on: October 12, 2008 - 04:30:42 PM »
The controls on my Heat and A/C feel real mushy. The heat control (the lever the slides from side to side to adjust hot to cool) does not move very good at all.
Can this control cluster be removed by itself, or do I need to pull the dash to do this work?
Thanks!

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
Re: Removal/Repair - Heat and A/C controls
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008 - 04:41:21 PM »
The controls on my Heat and A/C feel real mushy. The heat control (the lever the slides from side to side to adjust hot to cool) does not move very good at all.
Can this control cluster be removed by itself, or do I need to pull the dash to do this work?
Thanks!

The lever connects to a cable. So it's possible the cable just needs a lube, or is kinked in some way.   :dunno:  You don't mention if you have a Rally dash, but I'm not sure if you can remove the controls if you do. There is a nut that has to be removed from behind. I don't know if you can do that without the dash out. I wish I could help more.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Glennster

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008 - 06:56:21 AM »
I don't have the Rally dash, mine is a 70 Challenger, the dash has one big instrument that is the speedo. There are 4 little ones, fuel, battery, temp and one empty one. I'll take a look at the cable, that's sure a logical place to start.
How hard is it to remove the dash?
It seems like that would have to be a royal pain in the butt?

Offline Glennster

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008 - 09:26:19 PM »
MEK-Dangerfield,
  You called it, the cable is bent just behind the lever on the dash. I removed the cluster that houses the head light switch, dimmer switch and windshield wiper switch. I bent the cable back to straight, then I removed the other end of the cable and pulled it out where I could work with it.
  I don't think this cable can be purchased, soooooo...................
  I cut off the nozzle from a tube of '' Liquid Nail '', I taped it on the end of the cable so it was like a miniature funnel. Then I put some Synthetic Motor Oil in it and taped it in an elevated position. I hope the oil will work it's way down the cable over night. I put a rag at the other end, I'm an optimist, I really think the oil will get to the other end by morning. Am I crazy or what???javascript:void(0);
  If I can get the cable to work real freely, I think I'll be OK.javascript:void(0);

Offline Aussie Challenger

• Resident
  • In Kansas loaded for Drive to West Coast.
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008 - 02:14:47 AM »
  Hopefully that should work. But you need to address why the cable bent in the first place, do all the levers on the heater box swing freely?   :2cents:
Dave

Offline Glennster

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008 - 06:48:54 AM »
I'm '' assuming ''  the cable bent because the  car sat so long that the cable became real hard to move. Someone forced the lever, when the cable didn't slide in the housing, it bent.
I'd really like to put a new cable in there, what are the chances that it's available? Where would I get it?javascript:void(0);

Offline Glennster

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008 - 01:56:16 PM »

I ordered a new cable from Year One, I was amazed that they had it (in stock)javascript:void(0);

Offline Devil

• Forward, Together Forward
    • Ryan's Cars in Barns
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008 - 11:13:54 PM »
The a/c / heater controls are easy to rebuild, atleast the actual mechanisms are.  If the vacuum "box" is busted, gotta get a new one.  But the levers can be cleaned and lubed to work well fairy easy.  I just did mine last month, took me only about an hour total.

Ryan
Ryan's Cars in Barns

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hemipwr70/
http://carsinbarns.blogspot.com

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
71 Challenger R/T Clone
69 Charger R/T SE
70 Barracuda
74 Dart Swinger
93 RamCharger
88 Caprice Classic Brougham

Offline 72bluNblu

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2008 - 01:27:10 AM »
The cables are available on ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CUDA-CHALLENGER-HEATER-CABLE-AAR-TA-HEMI-MOPAR_W0QQitemZ310026802597QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p4506.m20.l1116#ht_2946wt_0
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NOS-Mopar-Cuda-Challenger-Heater-Function-Cable-NOS_W0QQitemZ220292259580QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item220292259580&_trkparms=39%3A1%7C65%3A1%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245#ht_791wt_0

There are two different lengths though, one for A/C and one for non-A/C, not sure they're all listed right either. I'd measure the old one first. I'd help out, but I don't have one on my car at the moment...

Offline Lunchbox

« Last Edit: October 15, 2008 - 01:50:36 AM by Lunchbox »

Offline Glennster

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2008 - 08:32:58 PM »
Lunchbox,
My water Valve looks much different than yous, but it works real free. Looks like the stinkin' mice enjoyed you hose, I hate those little buck tooth critters!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Glennster

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2008 - 08:50:48 PM »
Devil,
 How did you get the heater controls out? I got the I got the headlight and Wiper controls/cluster out pretty easy, but I'm not sure how to remove the heater controls.  javascript:void(0);
Any suggestions?

Offline Devil

• Forward, Together Forward
    • Ryan's Cars in Barns
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2008 - 09:53:18 PM »
You should be able to take out the left side lower trim, and then there are two screws holding the A/C setup in.  I'll go check it out when I get back to the dash.

Ryan
Ryan's Cars in Barns

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hemipwr70/
http://carsinbarns.blogspot.com

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
71 Challenger R/T Clone
69 Charger R/T SE
70 Barracuda
74 Dart Swinger
93 RamCharger
88 Caprice Classic Brougham

Offline duodec

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2008 - 12:24:20 AM »
Lunchbox,
My water Valve looks much different than yous, but it works real free. Looks like the stinkin' mice enjoyed you hose, I hate those little buck tooth critters!!!!!!!!!!!!

There were all-metal aftermarket valves; they worked fine, but looked totally different. 

I believe if you look on the underside of the curved trim that covers the bottom of your AC control panel, you'll see one or more screws.  There _may_ be one actually going in from behind too; I don't remember, mines a '71, and all those parts are in boxes, sorry.  Once that trim is out you'll see the screws holding the control panel in place.

Offline Lunchbox

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2008 - 02:21:53 AM »
Lunchbox,

Like Duodec said its probably aftermarket if it looks different form above. Now those dang mice, they ate everything! Rad hoses, shifter boots, inside quarter trim...then they just chewed a little on things like the steering wheel and window handles just enough to wreck them. The also filled the driver side combustion chambers with wheat and the pass side with poop.

Lunch