Author Topic: new dash cap  (Read 2933 times)

Offline burrpenick

new dash cap
« on: October 13, 2008 - 01:43:44 PM »
I can't remember if I will need to remove the AC vents before I install this piece. I have the speaker grill off, not sure about the defroster vents either. Anyone done this recently? Do the vents just pry out??????

Thanks, George in Tallahassee

GEORGE
currently Moparless

Offline RaptorF229

• A work in Progress
Re: new dash cap
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008 - 03:53:59 PM »
no they don't pry out there are two screws on the sides of each vent. I'd recommend removing them so you can trim the cap to fit.

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008 - 04:53:09 PM »
no they don't pry out there are two screws on the sides of each vent. I'd recommend removing them so you can trim the cap to fit.

:iagree:

The screws to remove the vents can only be accessed from behind. To do this correctly, you need to either remove the dashpad, or take out the entire dash frame and all.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline burrpenick

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008 - 09:20:35 AM »
Thanks guys........... I did this once before, and didnt remove the pad, so hopefully I can do it again. Any tips besides a very short screwdriver and lots of patience????????????
GEORGE
currently Moparless

Offline burrpenick

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008 - 09:01:14 AM »
well I got the passenger side vent out last night without removing the pad or dash. It was not easy......the center one looks worse, but after a trial fit, it appears that I can simple trim the new cover a little and it will still snap under the vent no problem. thats one of the reasons I wanted the cover to begin with: they look nice and are way easier than replacing the pad...and cheaper too!
ONe issue I did notice is that this cover doesn not have a cutout for the VIN plate. The last one did, so I will have to cut that out after marking it very carefully and drill the screw holes for the speaker grill.

But.....its coming along!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008 - 09:06:26 AM by burrpenick »
GEORGE
currently Moparless

Offline RaptorF229

• A work in Progress
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008 - 05:45:28 PM »
sounds like you're making some progress. Don't forget to post some pics when youre done.

Offline burrpenick

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008 - 08:19:44 AM »
More fitting last night.......finally got the center ac vent out (through the speaker cutout), and that make the job much better. Fitted the speaker grill and drilled those holes then marked the VIN tag area that I plan to cut out tonight.......just in time to catch the DEBATE!  I hope to apply the RTV adhesieve tonight. Then its always fun to rig up some pressure points all around it to make sure its held down during the curing process. I've done several of these and feel like the products look and work very well.
GEORGE
currently Moparless

Offline RaptorF229

• A work in Progress
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008 - 10:43:04 AM »
I agree a cap that is done right looks just as good as a repopped dash without the giant price tag.

Offline burrpenick

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2008 - 09:03:09 AM »
Dash cap is done, and I am very pleased. Just dropped of the 'Barracuda' emblem off the top over the glove box at a sign shop where they are making up a new one for me. That center a/c vent was the worst issue on changing that cap, although the VIN number hole had to be cut as well.
I have the back seat/side panels and rear carpet in, working on the front carpet now, console is ready but I still have to test fit the new pistol grip AT knob.
GEORGE
currently Moparless

Offline the_engineers

• Resident
  • Cheap, fast, reliable...pick 2
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2008 - 09:41:13 AM »
How well does yours fit around the gauge recess?  I put one on mine, but was disappointed with how much fo the old dash showed in that area.
Brooks

1971 'Cuda 360
2004 Infiniti G35 6-spd Coupe
2001 Toyota Solara Convertible
2002 GMC Savana 1500 Explorer Hightop Conversion
1972 Dodge Dart Swinger...keeping the Slant.  Rocking the turbos.

Offline burrpenick

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2008 - 11:20:45 AM »
Mine covered fine. I did have to touch up just a little where the original green was showing on the sides of the gauges- not the top.  Maybe .5" or so.  Maybe yours was not flat/stock when you covered it? I used a serrated knife to trim mine down in the center where the vinyl had cracked and bulged.

GEORGE
currently Moparless

Offline 71chmark

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2008 - 08:07:47 PM »
Mine has a cap.  I had the car for two years before I noticed it.  I didn't know there was such a thing. Ain't I observant.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008 - 08:11:57 PM by 71chmark »
I may be schizophrenic,
but at least I have each other