Author Topic: anyone get a new a/c from classic or vintage air?  (Read 1243 times)

Offline RaptorF229

• A work in Progress
anyone get a new a/c from classic or vintage air?
« on: October 14, 2008 - 03:23:58 PM »
I'm gonna order a new ac system this month and trying to decide which company to go with. Anyone use either.

Offline Devil

• Forward, Together Forward
    • Ryan's Cars in Barns
Re: anyone get a new a/c from classic or vintage air?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008 - 05:56:06 PM »
There's been a ton of posts about this, you can use the search feature to find a few more.

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=5246.0

Ryan's Cars in Barns

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hemipwr70/
http://carsinbarns.blogspot.com

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
71 Challenger R/T Clone
69 Charger R/T SE
70 Barracuda
74 Dart Swinger
93 RamCharger
88 Caprice Classic Brougham

Offline RaptorF229

• A work in Progress
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008 - 09:05:30 PM »
Ive seen some old ones but none about people who hav them in their cars.

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008 - 10:53:08 PM »
I love the look of the old twin v compressor but I have been thinking about putting a modern compressor on myself. I too would love to hear from people who have experience with a partial or complete retrofit a/c system.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline duodec

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008 - 01:35:13 AM »
I'm going to be using a Sanden style compressor on mine to allow for the six-pack, but I've done no work on that yet.  Car is factory A/C so the rest will be stock.

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2008 - 09:35:38 AM »
The kits are pricey and are designed for non-ac cars. If your car was an original ac car you might consider upgrading all the underhood components like I did. I bought the VintageAir universal hose kit that included all the hoses, fittings, and dryer for ther system. It alone was about $100. After discussing with several AC experts, they all agreed that you want as big a condensor as you can fit up front. I found a new 26" TruFlow condensor that matched the radiator opening nicely for $50. I went thru everything including the inside AC air box and replaced the factory vacuum controller with a NOS unit.

Am impressed by the difference in the systems. Finished up,the R134 cools great. It only held 2 cans and when it kicks on, you can hardly tell that its running.

Aside from my labor and the cost of chroming my custom pump brackets and machining my dual groove billet pulleys, I think it can be done for under $500.
72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
07' Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Dbl cab in Speedway Blue!
01' Honda 1100 Shadow Sabre
96' Seadoo Challenger

Offline JS27N0B

• Resident
  • Member since Jan 28th 2003.
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008 - 10:48:30 PM »
I am in the process of installing a classic air kit. Looks not too bad. I will have a polished a/c compressor for sale as I had to use the factory 6.1L a/c comp.
1970 Challenger R/T Convertible 383/auto 1 of 516 *now sold after owning for 18yrs
2007 Chrysler Aspen Limited AWD
2013 Tige' RZR 343hp
2016 PCP Challenger SRT Hellcat

Offline Aussie Challenger

• Resident
  • In Kansas loaded for Drive to West Coast.
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008 - 06:16:53 AM »
  My Challenger is a factory A/C car, I don't have the under hood bits yet. Even though the rotary compressors are better I intend to fit an original V twin. With R134 gas you need as big a condensor as possible due to it being a poor gas conpared to R12.   :banghead:
  Make sure that all your hoses, seals & oil is compatable with R134.   :2thumbs:

Miketyler your setup looks great   :droolingbounce:
Dave

Offline WVUFELLA

• (OO/---------\OO) closest i could for a 72
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2008 - 06:49:44 AM »
I got the setup from vintage air. My only complaint would be dont follow the measurements on the directions exactly.. they give some measurements on the firewall where you mount the new heater box ( evaporator ??) and the measurements put you right smack dab on the lip where the cowl rolls down and meets the rest fo the firewall.. also the liquid line and the heater hoses need to be centered in the hole where the old blower motor sets... if your not careful when mounting the new heater box the lines will be offset ... then when you install that black panel that covers up up the old blower motor you will have to cut and grind some of it in order for it to fit without rubbing inside of the fender..... we got mine to work but i wish i would have known what i just explained it would have been alot easier........ my car is aslo a factory ac car....I got my compressor from BPE ......

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2008 - 07:02:25 AM »
 :popcorn:
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100

Offline RaptorF229

• A work in Progress
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2008 - 02:20:12 PM »
Very good info. I ordered the vintage air kit last week. When I ordered the kit they didn't have the compressor bracket for my engine. I would only have saved 7 dollars by getting the parts separately. I ordered the bracket from bouchillon so I'm covered. I will have a compressor bracket for a 318 though so if anyone with a 318 wants to put a new compressor on I have the bracket if they want it.

Thanks for the info on mounting WVUFELLA