Author Topic: spool vs limited slip  (Read 840 times)

Offline thedeputy

spool vs limited slip
« on: October 15, 2008 - 02:24:44 PM »
Is there a way to tell if there's a spool in a rear axle or a limited slip differential? A friend of mine bought a 1965 coronet 2dr sedan and the seller told him there's a posi inside the 8 3/4, but when he turnes around a sharp corner you can hear the tires grinding the pavement, so I suspect there's a spool inside.

Thanks Antoon

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
Re: spool vs limited slip
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008 - 02:38:00 PM »
Sounds like a spool to me. With the spool the 2 axles are locked and will spin at the same speed. So when you go around a corner one of them will be grinding.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline purple1

• Worlds first e-body trailer. Member since 3/10/05
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008 - 02:58:40 PM »
Could be a spool in there. That or the old (and cheap) hot rod trick - welded spider gears.

The only way to be sure would be to open it up and see.

Dave :wave:

Dave

Worlds first e-body trailer.    Severna Park, Maryland

Offline Supercuda

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008 - 09:05:47 PM »
A poorly-adjusted clutch pack in a limited-slip will make all kinds of horrendous noises. A properly functioning locker will make noise in a corner, if it is under power. A spool makes turning a vehicle a nightmare, and nasty "scrubbing" wear is always evident after a few miles, if one looks at the tires. A quick test for the presence of a spool, is to mark the tires where they hit the ground, and drive around for a few minutes, making corners and spinning the tires a little (if possible). Park the vehicle so one tire is again sitting with its mark on the ground, and check the other tire- if the mark is in the exact same orientation as when it was marked, you have a spool. If it has moved in relation to the other tire, then you have another setup, and it might be a good idea to pull the cover off of the diff, and examine all internals. Many people forget to install the friction modifier that a limited-slip needs in order to function properly, and ruin a good diff by driving it that way.

Offline thedeputy

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2008 - 01:02:14 PM »
I'll put some marks on the tires. That's the best idea I've heard so far. The noise I''ve been hearing is purely coming from the tires on the road.
Thanks

Antoon