Author Topic: oil pressure/water temp. Does this sound about normal?  (Read 1953 times)

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
oil pressure/water temp. Does this sound about normal?
« on: October 15, 2008 - 07:24:34 PM »
I know my factory guages are slow to respond, so curiosity got the best of me and I hooked up some after market gauges to my car.

Cold start with 180 thermostat   oil pressure cold is 85 lbs . This is with the choke set and fast idle working.  Temp goes to 192 then the thermostat opens up and goes down to around 150 and works its way back to around 184 hot and driving and setting in my shop for 20 minutes hot it reads around 186

Once the engine is warm and the choke off, the oil at an idle is around 63 lbs then goes up to 78 above 2500 rpms.   

Does this sound about normal for a street engine? Or is my oil pressure to high? It does have an HV pump on it.  I am sure the engine never overheats.

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
Re: oil pressure/water temp. Does this sound about normal?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008 - 07:30:29 PM »
What weight of oil are you using?

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008 - 07:36:47 PM »
straight 30 wt

Offline matt63

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008 - 07:52:17 PM »
Your oil pressure sounds high for hot idle.  I would expect around 20 psig with 10w30 or 10w40.
Matt in Edmonton

'68 Valiant
'73 Cuda 340 4 speed (408) SOLD

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008 - 07:56:03 PM »
Maybe I should put a stock pump on it.  I use penz z7 High zink oil. It is hard to find and only in single weight. It still has sulfer in it.  Dual weight is for cold starts in cold weather I thought.

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008 - 10:10:33 PM »
It needs 10psi per thousand, regardless of use. Any more is ok, so long as it doesnt force the pump to bypass and generate heat. IMO, you should swap out the pump with an HP pump. It will still reach 60-70psi depending on the clearances with 30wt, but draws less power to turn, and will not bypass until it reaches max pressure. I dont use HV pumps in new engines. It sounds like you have good clearances and simply dont need the HV.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008 - 02:08:18 AM »
you are in the normal range & definatly will not hurt the engine with oil pressure like that

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008 - 04:26:49 AM »
Hi Alan, my engine oil pressure is around 80 and their is nothinf wrong with good oil pressure, it is better to have it that little bit higher like you have it.  The only problem i find with a high volume pump is that it emptys the oil pan real quick, so i will have to fit a larger capacity pump to hold more oil to overcome this.    Your water temp sounds spot on aswell :2thumbs:
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008 - 11:45:02 AM »
if it is a HV pump it can empty the pan , if it is just an HP pump no issue

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2008 - 01:22:33 PM »
Neil, can you explain the difference in HP and HV pumps for me.  Or anyone for that matter. I know the HV pump has a bigger notch cut it it where it fits the gasket on the block.  Seems high pressure would also suck alot of volume to keep the pressure high.

I am taking off the 402 big block pan and sticking a hemi/6pk  6qt pan on.  I feel it should be adequate, wouldn't you think?  It's not a race car.

Offline duodec

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2008 - 12:15:48 AM »
HP pump has a higher pressure spring in the bypass (overpressure) valve, so it can generate higher pressure without, well. getting bypassed.  HV pumps vary but the ones I've seen (smallblock) have taller gears so they can pump more oil at a given RPM; the bypass valve will open at a lower pressure than on an HP pump.

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2008 - 01:14:01 AM »
HP pump has a higher pressure spring in the bypass (overpressure) valve, so it can generate higher pressure without, well. getting bypassed.  HV pumps vary but the ones I've seen (smallblock) have taller gears so they can pump more oil at a given RPM; the bypass valve will open at a lower pressure than on an HP pump.
It is the same senario for a big block pump, they are physically larger in the housing and rotors for a HV pump.
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2008 - 02:01:58 AM »
as explaned HV is HIGH Volume with taller rotors so it moves more volume of oil / rotation , I have never seens a need for these on street engines
HP is just higher pressure with stock volume  , this is what I generally use on performance street engine builds

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2008 - 09:01:37 AM »
So since I have a 7 qt system now, do you think I would be ok with the HV pump?  It seems to do ok now, but I haven't ran it through all 4 gears hard yet, And wont be running 5k on the interstate either.

Offline FJ5_440

• Wisconsin
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2008 - 10:03:20 AM »
I used to run a HV pump on a car with a deep aftermarket oil pan.  One day I scraped a hole in the oil pan over some rail road tracks.  I put on a stock 440 pan and ran it hard that way for years.  I switched back after I emptied the pan doing a "sustained" burnout and the oil pressure dropped.  I didn't hurt anything, but it scared me into welding up the deep pan.  Unless you enter burn out contests regularly, you should be OK with the 7 qt pan. :2cents:

** Shane **