Author Topic: CLANK in my 8 1/4 rear end  (Read 815 times)

Offline Glennster

CLANK in my 8 1/4 rear end
« on: October 22, 2008 - 07:31:55 AM »
Well, I thought I had bad U Joints, but I pulled the drive shaft and found that the U Joints were in great shape. Looks like they have recently been replaced.
I put the old Challenger up on my buddies lift, he inspected the drive train (he's an old MOPAR nut) and concluded that the rear gear/bearings are getting pretty tired. I'd like to rebuild the rear end because I've got a fairly loud CLANK back there.
1.  How hard is it to rebuild the rear end?
2.  What has '' typically '' gone bad back the?
     A.Worn out Gears?
     B. Worn out bearings?
Is this something I can do myself?

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
Re: CLANK in my 8 1/4 rear end
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008 - 08:43:53 AM »
I think on an 8 1/4 rear you have a center pin holding in C clips that hold the axle. The hole the center pin slides through should be round. If it is wobbled out, then the center section/carrier needs to replaced. This is the part that holds the ring gear on. Did your friend pull the cover when he inspected the rearend?  Is the pinion nut tight at the yoke?

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008 - 10:05:45 AM »
I don't have experience rebuilding the whole rear but I did replace the diferential gears (spider gears) for a groaning sound and if you don't shim them (Which at the time I didn't know I had to.   :bricks1: )you'll end up replacing them again in not too long a time....  :bricks1:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008 - 11:55:32 AM »
most 8 1/4" diffs clank when put into gear

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Supercuda

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008 - 06:11:00 PM »
My 8 1/4 doesn't make any ugly noises when put into gear, but then, I was the last one to touch it. Rebuilding the diff is not difficult, but setting up gears is an art. If you do not need to replace the ring and pinion, then you can do it yourself, as long as you follow something like the factory service procedures. The most important tool for this is a dial indicator, to set the backlash correctly. If you replace the bearings, use only TIMKEN! Timken bearings are what should be in there already, and the tolerances are excellent. Replacing the bearings becomes a simple act, with no fuss besides resetting the proper backlash on the gears. Don't forget to reinstall the shim in the drive pinion where it came out, and that you need a BIG breaker bar or cheater on your ratchet, in order to properly crush the crush sleeve under the companion flange (yoke). I broke a sweat during that part of the installation, believe me! Before deciding to tackle this, read the procedures, and you will know for sure if you want to do it. Also, the 8 1/4" is the little diff that could! Much stouter than many people will have you believe. Mine has withstood the tests of both time, and torque.