Author Topic: No 3rd Gear-727  (Read 10159 times)

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
Re: No 3rd Gear-727
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2008 - 01:18:57 PM »
Burnt up clutches in high gear is nothing unusual for a 727. I've had that happen many times over the years. They start slipping going into third, and then you have to let off the gas to get it to shift, and then you loose 3rd gear altogether. Time to rebuild it.  :grinyes:
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline bordin34

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2008 - 05:13:36 PM »
Thanks, I may try that. Another problem arised today as I was making sure the alternator was charging. I put it in reverse, it made the sound, then I put it in D, it made the sound, same with 1 and 2. This was without moving. I let it warm up in Neutral for a couple minutes, no sound in N or P. To be more accurate with the sound since it happened less than 5 minutes ago, it sounds like a rattling scraping kinda high pitched sound. I am think the clutches are worn out and the flexplate bolts may be backing out?

1973 Charger SE Brougham Black 400 auto
1974 Charger SE Brougham Blue 318 auto-SOLD

Offline Ck[FIN]

• Get real - Get Mopar
    • Small car club from Finland
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2008 - 03:37:24 AM »
If it makes the sound on R,1,2 and D without moving the car, there could be other problems than front clutches. If your car doesnt move at all, nothing but oil pump and converter spins at your transmission.
Have you checked that converter dust cover is in place and bolts tightened?
Get real - Get Mopar

Offline bordin34

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2008 - 10:09:49 AM »
The car moves, I meant I was not driving it just going through the gears with my foot on the brake in my driveway. This was the first time it ever made the sound in any forward gear. It has enough trans fluid in it. I was still thinking about the sound and it sounds a lot like what drum brakes sound like after they get covered in water and you try to stop, it is the sound they make just before the car stops, if that makes any sense.

1973 Charger SE Brougham Black 400 auto
1974 Charger SE Brougham Blue 318 auto-SOLD

Offline Supercuda

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2008 - 01:09:15 PM »
It really sounds like the front clutch drum is the source of the problem. I have heard really bad ones make the noise as long as something is trying to apply anywhere in the geartrain.