Author Topic: Stupid Broker Fees!!!  (Read 1652 times)

Offline moparmaniac59

• Resident
  • Drive it like ya stole it!
Stupid Broker Fees!!!
« on: October 23, 2008 - 08:07:03 PM »
I am a little peeveed right now and just needed to vent. I guess It's partially my fault for not checking. I just got a great deal on a set of Challenger SE door panels. They were in Canada and I live in the USA. I knew shipping would be costly, but due to the excellent price on the panels, it was worth the additional shipping and the fact that an original set of SE panels in excellent condition are a rare commodity. So they were wrapped up and shipped. I paid the shipping and waited patiently. A week or so later the UPS man comes to my door with a package......but there's a catch. A $36.00 dollar COD fee!! I'm like what the... :swear: :stomp: :swear: I asked the UPS man if he knew why I had to pay a COD fee and he said he believed it to be a broker fee. What the heck is a broker fee for?? I know we have a lot of members here from Canada. Maybe someone can tell who this fella is that got my $36.00 bucks!! :villagers: Any way my panels are SWEEEET!! So I feel better now!! STUPID BROKERS!!!!!! :nono:

Matt B.
Matt

Offline Doomed

• So close...to actually finishing my 'Cuda!
Re: Stupid Broker Fees!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008 - 08:35:09 PM »
  Brokerage fees are a joke, unfortunately you have to have cross boarder purchases brokered, or you will not get your stuff. Your first issue is UPS - they suck for international shipping. You need to use FedEX, they have internal brokering and the fees are nominal in comparison. Not long ago I did an order with XV for their chasis stiffining kit and expressly asked for FedEX and not UPS, and they still shipped UPS and I got screwed for $96 brokerage then GST on top of that. What a bummer. Being a Canuck and cross border  mail ordering blows -you should be happy this was only for once.

Kyle.
"Life gets in the way of Living"

Offline AARCuda340+6

• Resident
  • Southern Ontario
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008 - 08:40:33 PM »
I know how you feel, but I thought it only happened when shipping from the US to Canada.  I learned my lesson not to use UPS or Fed/Ex because of the brokerage fee's.  If it's sent by Canada Post or USPS then you might have to pay taxes but not much else.   I don't understand the whole jive of it either but I believe when crossing the boarder it goes to a warehouse and slap a brokerage charge on.   I had a case of baseball cards sent from California to my location in Southern Ontario by UPS and had paid the guy $30.00 shipping.  When it arrived I had to pay a brokerage fee of $27.00 so I said no more. 
You can call me RAY or RAYMOND or RAZOR or THE ZOR!
70 AAR Cuda
04 Rumble Bee

Offline moparmaniac59

• Resident
  • Drive it like ya stole it!
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008 - 08:50:48 PM »
Thanks for the info. I guess live and learn!! :roflsmiley: It was still a great buy even WITH the brokerage fees. I just didn't expect it and got blind-sided. I know the guy I bought them from was going to use Canada Post, but due to the size (over-size) of the package, he had to ship it UPS!! I know now!! :stomp:

Matt B.
Matt

Offline plumcrazy704406

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008 - 08:56:30 PM »
as much as they like you to believe in brown, they are truly sh*t with their brokerage fees! never use them. burned once not twice!

:canada:
This thought may not be politically correct, but is an opinion offered. It may be correct? or it may be wrong? It is not designed to appease those needing shelter from the real world.

Offline JayBee

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008 - 09:38:58 PM »
Slotts said it best in a PM to me once. Something like....using a broker means you're broker.  :lol:  Man that guys funny.
John

1970 Barracuda convertible
2014 Toyota Avalon

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008 - 09:59:18 PM »
Nothing against our Canadian brothers but shipping north is a PITA! I havent done it in 3-4 years but all the crap back then was nuts, I heard it's easyer now but...  :walkaway:
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008 - 10:29:44 PM »
I have always used usps to canada. I am waiting for a member to say yeah I got it. It just takes so long.  I always ship to Hemiken by usps to. It's pricey in some ways, but it works

Offline matt63

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2008 - 10:38:51 PM »
I probably spent $15-20k in the last 7 years on stuff I've imported from the US and a large chunk of that went to UPS.  Some vendors like YO will not ship via USPS and only Fedex or UPS.  You can use your own broker or pay them to do it.  You get nailed either way.  USPS is not fast but I believe the priority service is a bit better.
Matt in Edmonton

'68 Valiant
'73 Cuda 340 4 speed (408) SOLD

Offline Aussie Challenger

• Resident
  • In Kansas loaded for Drive to West Coast.
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2008 - 06:12:57 AM »
  I was warned before I went to Canada a couple of years ago to be carefull what I brought back into America. I had a lot of Canadian licence plates, so I packed them at the bottom of my suit cases. When we arrived at the border the Canadian border guard wanted to know what I was taking out and got out a form for me to fill in.   :22yikes:  I told him only "touristy stuff", he had a quick look inside the car and said OK go on through.
  When we went back into Canada the next time they were more interested in us as the car had TEXAS plates on it, they made the comment that we were from "down south", when they checked our passports we said that yes we were from "way down south", they laughed and let us in. Coming out we had to again be carefull but we let them know that we were Aussie's and it made all the differences.   :bigsmile:
Dave

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2008 - 02:14:45 PM »
No you know what it is like living in Canaduh , everything has extra fees attached to it , UPS is the worst & I will not Use then ever , I once ordered a $50 part in a 3" cube box , the broker fees were $70 , I told the UPS guy to stuff it , no way was I paying UPS more then the part was worth  :banghead:

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline LeakyGasket

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2008 - 03:08:29 PM »
Question:  Say you bought a car in Canada to have shipped to you in the US.  Are there similar charges for freight, or whatever that might be?

Offline arcticmopar

• Yukon Canada
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2008 - 04:11:17 PM »
Well yes broker fee suck but it's part of life here. Time is the bigger question: UPS=2DAYS from Michigan to the Yukon
                                                                                                        USPS= 18 DAYS from summit to the Yukon via EXPRESS AIR MAIL  5days to make it clear Canada customs and 13 more days to just ship inside Canada :clapping: :faint:  "if you have time to spare-send it air" LOL.
RUNS WHITH SISSORS!  and  DIGITALY CHALLENGED!

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2008 - 04:15:15 PM »
Question:  Say you bought a car in Canada to have shipped to you in the US.  Are there similar charges for freight, or whatever that might be?
not nessisarily , there are no import charges if the car was built in the US , it is just retuning home

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2008 - 08:42:01 PM »
If you buy an item from Canada, you can only hope they ship it thru the post office. I had something shipped UPS. Fine and dandy, until a few weeks later UPS sends me a bill in the mail for the brokerage fees.   :stomp:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.