Anyone with Classic Mopar 5-speed feedback?

Author Topic: Anyone with Classic Mopar 5-speed feedback?  (Read 3583 times)

Offline Jim

Anyone with Classic Mopar 5-speed feedback?
« on: October 25, 2008 - 07:11:28 PM »
Has anybody here installed one of the E-body Classic Mopar 5-speed set-ups?

I'm contemplating putting one in my Cuda.

I installed a Keisler set up in my '69 Charger several years ago. That install went reasonably well. I'm just exploring new options.

I know Classic Mopar pretty much just reverse engineered the Keisler kit. I'm wondering if Classic Mopar is doing anything better.

Please spare me the Keisler nightmare install/customer service stories. I've read them all before. Seems you can start a thread about a Tremec install without it turning into a Keisler-bash... at least that's been my experience over at Moparts.com.  ::)
-Jim
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it. "

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
Re: Anyone with Classic Mopar 5-speed feedback?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008 - 07:50:09 PM »
Apparently Not............IF the pictures tell the story you still need several items to complete the Classic setup as opposed to the Keisler...pedals & tunnel are 2

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=35802.0
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008 - 07:55:03 PM by bullitt99 »
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008 - 07:55:47 PM »
I know that now they are using a Hurst shifter mechanism in their kits.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline Jim

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008 - 08:25:01 PM »
I know that now they are using a Hurst shifter mechanism in their kits.

B&M bought Classic Mopar and Hurst.
-Jim
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it. "

Offline jvike

• Pro-Touring Cuda
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008 - 04:25:53 PM »
I think Carl discussed this a while ago, maybe a year ago when he was collecting parts for his Hemi'Cuda project..
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008 - 04:35:21 PM by jvike »
Member of The Rapid Transit System

Offline Kevin71

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009 - 10:14:30 PM »
Has anyone got any comments on the classic transmission and there service

Offline bigblue73

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2009 - 08:02:02 PM »
Good evening Guys - Sorry I haven't been around for a while.  I need to stress to all of you that you need to educate yourselves when install the 5 speeds.  Classic Mopar and Keisler both share the same transmission.  The transmission is obviously from Tremec and is then modified by both respective companies.  You ask the differences, let me detail them for you.  Both use a roller pilot bearing that adapts into the torque converter register of the crank shaft.  Both supply a cross member that properly mounts the transmission at the correct drive line angle for proper function.  The difference comes into the shifter mechanism that transmit the throws into the box.  Keisler using and engineered linkage which I will comment on.  Classic Mopar uses a ball and socket to transmit every motion into the transmission.  The result is very precise mechanism that is both efficient and durable.  I have photos of the ball and socket, please feel free to PM me and I will e-mail the files to you for your review.  The shifter is a Hurst "Branded" shifter that was developed by Red Roberts of McLeod.  Please note that this is NOT a reverse engineered kit.  Classic brought in partnering companies to review many issues with the modifications that are required to fit in the E-Body chassis.  Each company, Tremec, McLeod, Inland Empire all colaborated on to what is truly a newly engineered system.  As for service of Classic.  You can call me anytime.  Use my cell phone number.  I'm located in mid-Missouri (central time).  I'd be glad to answer you questions and I will honestly give you my opinion.  It's up to you to choose the company that you feel comfortable with as this is a very large investment to you car.  Thanks for the consideration and I look forward to answering your questions.

Tony Edler
Classic Mopar 5 Speed
Cell (573) 823-1813

Offline bigblue73

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2009 - 08:16:56 PM »
After I got to reading the previous thread and the post long winded post (sorry). I'll explain the differences in our kits.  Pedal and tunnel humps:  These are available on the open market, thus for us, Classic Mopar, to purchase these items and have them shipped across the country to be warehoused in our San Diego facility adds to much to the cost.  The cost in which, you the consumer can purchase on the open market.  I have accumulated all the sources of supply for the pedals, mechanical linkages and such to properly install everything into your car.  I leave the option to you as to weather you want to make a phone to supplier and purchase the parts or I can order these for you if you would like.  I do not stock the pedals or the tunnel humps.  When I order them I have them drop shipped to your shipping address. 

The E-Bodies have seen an explosion of excellent quality reproduction parts and the pedals are just a small part of the equation.  The pedals are available for $185.00 from PG Classic (if you are in Canada) or B/E and A parts here in the States.  The pedals are fabricated by P&G and sold through B/E and A as a distrubutor for P&G.  Please remember customs and shipping to/from Canada that needs to be considered. 

B&M acquired Hurst, Classic Motorsports Group and Mcleod in a strive to be a drive train specialty company in Mid 2007.  The marriage between Mcleod and B&M has ended and the "old" ownership has regained control.  The Hurst Pistol Grips (reproductions now) are absolutely gorgeous.  One of the best Mopar parts that I have ever seen reproduced to the Cudas' and Challengers'

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2009 - 08:35:48 PM »
Tony what info do you have on a t56 magnum install into a e body?

How much extra is that new offset t56mag shifter and will it get the handel close to the e body hole?

thanks
Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...

Offline bigblue73

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009 - 10:54:02 AM »
The T56 magnum is a completely different animal than the 5 speed.  What bell housing are you going to use.  I've been working on the Mopar Performance side of things using the bell housing from the new challengers.  Cost is going to a factor for any of this.  Quicktime has a bell housing as well- right now.  I have a completed cross member for the installation from my CAD layout of the tunnel and the torsion bar cross member.  I created a model of just the bottom of the transmission from a case that was shipped to me from San Diego.  I need to finish the top to show the interference points.  As far as the shifter goes......I need to make a phone call on this and I'll post what I find out.  On the 5 speed the shifter is located 4" to the back and offset 3 5/8" to the left of the transmission centerline.

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2009 - 11:10:22 AM »
 :smilielol:cool please keep us posted
Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...