Author Topic: How do you value a clone?  (Read 3232 times)

Offline jeryst

• Resident
How do you value a clone?
« on: October 25, 2008 - 09:35:19 PM »
I have decided to sell my 73 Cuda project. Real 340 4-speed BS Cuda. All numbers matching. All body restoration and paint finished. A guy contacted me and asked if I would be interested in trading for a clone that he built. Now, if you look at the car he started with, it is not worth very much, But if you look at the car that he cloned, it is worth a lot. So how do you determine the value of the clone? I'm not going to get my project finished anytime soon, and I really like the car that he is offering in trade, but if I would finish mine, it would probably be worth in the $30k-$35k range, and I dont think his would be worth anything near that. On the other hand, I have not been able to sell mine for what I have in it right now ($18k), and I think his is worth at least that right now.

So, just wondering if anyone has an opinion, or advice.

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
Re: How do you value a clone?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008 - 09:38:35 PM »
I noticed the word clone was not scaring anyone away from bidding hi on barrett jackson... But what car are you talkin about

Offline jeryst

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008 - 09:56:07 PM »
Its a Coronet convertible cloned into an RT.

Offline DAYTONA

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2008 - 10:40:46 PM »
...clones are worth exactly what they are worth in parts/labor, minus some depreciation if applicable...any historical value is applied to the parts ONLY...they fall under the same guidelines as a hot rod

Offline jeryst

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2008 - 10:54:44 PM »
...clones are worth exactly what they are worth in parts/labor, minus some depreciation if applicable...any historical value is applied to the parts ONLY...they fall under the same guidelines as a hot rod

Would I have any trouble insuring it, or would they just try to insure it as a 318 Coronet 500 convertible, which is what it started out as?

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2008 - 11:05:30 PM »
Would I have any trouble insuring it, or would they just try to insure it as a 318 Coronet 500 convertible, which is what it started out as?
Go with an insurance company that uses an Agreed Value.  Right now I have my 73 Challenger (originally a 318 auto, but now is 440 6 pack 4 speed), insured for $35K, no questions asked.

Offline triple_green

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2008 - 11:31:13 AM »
I agree with Daytona. YOu start with the value of the underlying car factoring in it's condition. Then it seems to be worth that plus the cost of any upgraded parts and halg the cost of the labor to install them.

My 71 Chally Vert is worth the 1971 vert plus the value of the 69 hemi and all of the correct pieces that are with it. Not $250K.

3X
1968 Charger triple green 383 HP all orignal restoration numbers match

Offline 422STROKER

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 6/3/06
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2008 - 11:44:46 AM »
It's worth what someone is willing to pay.

Tom :2thumbs:
Tom
12.77 @ 108.87 15" Street Drag radial tires 3.23 gear

Offline Changin Gears

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2008 - 12:41:55 PM »
It's worth what someone is willing to pay.

Tom :2thumbs:

I agree.  Doesn't just go for clones, goes for everything.

The goal never changes - Stop the 60' timer with your back tires

Offline hotrod98

• Maniac Musclecars
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2008 - 01:13:39 PM »
As the market dries up for avaialble "real" cars, the value of the clones seems to be going up. I've been offered good money for some of my clones. My "real" cars are not for sale and lately I've decided to hold on to my clones as well. Won't be long before all of the un-restored cars will be bought up and unavailable as well. The poor economy has made a few cars available lately that otherwise wouldn't have been for sale. If you're looking to buy a car, now's the time.
1971 Cuda, Tor-red, Bench seat
1971 Cuda Drag Car
1973 Cuda Clone, EFI/OD Limelight
1970 Superbird (Yes, it's real) Black Ice
1971 Barracuda Sassy Grass Green (sold)
1970 Challenger RT SE 383 Plum Crazy
1969 Road Runner Hardtop
1968 Road Runner Coupe (sold)

www.maniacmusclecars.com

Offline jeryst

• Resident
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2008 - 02:16:20 PM »
The problem I'm having, is trying to reconcile now, and "could be". Right now, I feel his car is worth the $18k that I am trying to sell mine for. But his car will never be worth any more, and mine will be worth double when put together.

On the other hand, I really do like his car, and I could drive it instead of just looking at a shell and a pile of parts.

Offline Changin Gears

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2008 - 02:36:17 PM »
The problem I'm having, is trying to reconcile now, and "could be". Right now, I feel his car is worth the $18k that I am trying to sell mine for. But his car will never be worth any more, and mine will be worth double when put together.

On the other hand, I really do like his car, and I could drive it instead of just looking at a shell and a pile of parts.

To me its always been "whats's it worth to me".  Hot rods and clones offer alot of bang for the buck.

The goal never changes - Stop the 60' timer with your back tires

Offline Rare_T_A

• Resident
    • Freiss Family Mopar Site
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2008 - 04:44:06 PM »

I think you answered your own question right here. This decition is no different if it was a house. If you buy it at 100k and decide to sell it 5 years later it my be worth 125k. But if you wait 15 years it may be worth 200k. You need to look at what yours and his cars are worth today not what it may be worth 5 years from now.    :2cents:
« Last Edit: October 26, 2008 - 04:47:53 PM by Rare_T_A »
'09 Challenger R/T  5.7 HEMI Auto
'70Challenger T/A 340 727

Fargo, N. Dak.
My web Site:  http://freiss.co.nr

My Flikr Page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/102813164@N04/

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left!

Offline n9671x2

• I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2008 - 08:32:17 AM »

If you feel both cars are worth 18K today, the vert will be never be worth more, but is done and ready to enjoy.  Are you taking into account how much money you will have to SPEND to get your Cuda to be worth the double $$ you apparently are stuck on?   Let alone the labor?   Are you any worse off having an 18k car you are enjoying and 10-15k in the bank you didn't spend to finish the Cuda?

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2008 - 09:14:13 AM »

Why don't you think the vert will ever go up in value?  Is a Hemi Cuda vert clone only worth what an original 318 vert is worth?  I know it's not exactly apples to apples, but I think it's a bit narrow sighted to say a Coronet vert will never go up in value.  Sure, it might not ever equal the value of your car when it's finished, but jeryst makes a good point about your cost and time to finish yours factoring into your decision.