Author Topic: So, I'm gonna go pick up this car... What about plates??  (Read 7707 times)

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
  • 2017 Carlisle or BUST...
    • JS Custom Cars
So, I'm gonna go pick up this car... What about plates??
« on: October 26, 2008 - 04:32:22 PM »
Alright, I tried searching google, but getting government information on the web is almost impossible.

Next weekend I'm taking a wee little trip up to Chicago to pick up, erm, a car...

I want to drive the car down here to Ohio, and then the weekend after, take the car home to Harrisburg to get it inspected, registered, tagged, etc.

But how can I do this without a tag ON the car?  Can I get a temporary tag?  Do I just put one of those "tag applied for" signs in the window?  What can I do?

I'm completely clueless here - anyone done this before?  I really don't want to just swipe the tag off of my Stratus - if I get pulled over I could be in a HUGE mess of trouble.

Jeff
2000 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe - 8.0L V10, 6-Speed Tremec
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Trail Rated - 4.7L V8, Auto
2010 Dodge Challenger SE Rallye - 3.5L V6, Auto (Wife's!)

Offline RLW

Re: So, I'm gonna go pick up this car... What about plates??
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008 - 04:36:50 PM »
in my state wa. you can get a temp tag,i think it is good for three days. that is what i have done in the past hope that helps.     randy

Offline Rare_T_A

• Resident
    • Freiss Family Mopar Site
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008 - 04:37:52 PM »
Before you get to the car I would see if the owner could go to DMV and get a temp tag. That's all we do here so I think it should be close to the same there.   :2cents:
'09 Challenger R/T  5.7 HEMI Auto
'70Challenger T/A 340 727

Fargo, N. Dak.
My web Site:  http://freiss.co.nr

My Flikr Page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/102813164@N04/

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left!

Offline ROMI

• 71 Challenger R/T 340 4 speed, Lapeer Michigan
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008 - 04:38:58 PM »
Based on what I think you may have bought, if you maintain an appropriate rate of speed... it won't really matter who's behind you
 :stirpot:

Offline 67vertman

• Sr. Resident
  • Member since 9-23-2005
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008 - 04:39:02 PM »
Jeff,

Is the car currently registered?  If so, it is licensed and just waiting for you to change title of ownership.  You can drive it home, just make sure you have a Bill of Sale from the seller.  If it is not currently registered, you will need to go to the Department of Motor Vehicles, in which the car is being sold, and get a temporary tag.

Ron - Born and raised in Southern California

I got the 1970 Cuda, but still need the hot blonde to ride shotgun!

First car -1969 Road Runner 383 4sp

Current ride - 1970 Barracuda 440-6 4 sp Dana 60  (4:10)

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008 - 04:39:55 PM »
I borrow my buddies dealer tag.  Don't know that I would worry much about getting stopped in a car that can do 200mph.  :dunno:  :lol:
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2008 - 04:40:46 PM »
I always just have the signed title and drive it home.  I think you have like 3 days or something before getting plates.  In WI anyway...   :dunno:

Offline NoMope Greg

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2008 - 04:42:06 PM »
Jeff,

Is the car currently registered?  If so, it is licensed and just waiting for you to change title of ownership.  You can drive it home, just make sure you have a Bill of Sale from the seller.  If it is not currently registered, you will need to go to the Department of Motor Vehicles, in which the car is being sold, and get a temporary tag.

:iagree:  Or break down and get the truck and trailer ready.
Greg
2003 Ford Escape XLS
Currently Mopar-less :(

Offline jeryst

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2008 - 04:47:09 PM »
PA has a lot of wierd rules and regulations. Your best bet is to go to your local Notary, explain the situation to them, and let them tell you exactly what you need to do. They may start the paperwork for you, or give you paperwork that the seller, or Illinois DMV needs to fill out. They may even ask for the car information, and issue you some type of temp tag. It'll take 10 minutes, and save you months worth of grief if the title gets bogged down in incorrect paperwork. Might even save you a ticket.

Also, give you insurance agent a call. If you try to put plates on the car, you will need proof of insurance. I believe you can use any current insurance card, and it will provide you with 10 days of coverage. But that's how State Farm does it, and I dont know if that is a universal thing, or if it differs according to company or policy type. You know what they say about an ounce of prevention...
« Last Edit: October 26, 2008 - 04:50:28 PM by jeryst »

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
    • JS Custom Cars
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2008 - 05:05:40 PM »
Okay - I'm getting some good ideas here.

I'd love to go to PA and ask questions, but I'm two hours from PA and would never get to a DMV branch during business hours.  I'm going to try to call, but we all know how well that usually works out.

If the owner lets me keep his tags then yeah - I'd have a buyers agreement, signed title, and proof of insurance.  But what if he wants to keep his tag?

State Farm is my ins. co. as well, and I'm going to call Monday and actually add the Viper to my policy so that I'll be covered.  I'll just have them fax me confirmation.

My concern is that Vipers are cop magnets, and I want to have my bases covered in case a cop pulls me over just to check out the car or give me a hard time, and end up getting some real good ticketable offences on me!!!

I gotta make it 7 days, but it'll be almost 1000 miles of driving!

Jeff

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2008 - 05:11:48 PM »
Just keep a low profile and blend in....  :2thumbs: :smilielol:
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

nivvy

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2008 - 05:12:02 PM »
jeff. there is a place here in altoona, PA called dunkle servies... they do online tranfers and such..... give them a call.... maybe they can atleast tell you what to do.... they specialize in the service :bigsmile:

814-941-1022
« Last Edit: October 26, 2008 - 05:15:47 PM by StRoKer »

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2008 - 05:14:42 PM »
Arizona has a service online I go to when I need anything like temp tags ect.  Check to see if your state has one too.
One thing for sure is to get the insurance lined up first

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
    • JS Custom Cars
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2008 - 05:22:51 PM »
Thanks Stroker - I'll definitely call them tomorrow.

And yes - insurance will be first.

Jeff

Offline lumpy

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2008 - 05:26:47 PM »
In Arizona it is easy. You can print your own Temporary Plate online, and they only charge you a dollar. I have done that many times for out of state buyers. Only vehicles that are currently registered in our state are eligible for this service. Here is a link to the Ill. page, but it looks like you need to apply in person and wait for the plate. The seller may have to do this for you. http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/departments/vehicles/title_registration/trp.html
 Using a dealer plate could get you in alot of trouble if you are not the registered user. I would ask the seller to help you in any way that they can. Make sure that the current title is an Ill. title in their name, and they sign it and have it notarized if applicable. You should also have a notarizied BOS and a temporary Insurance card. Whatever you do, don't use a plate from another car. You may not get pulled over, but if you do you may be sorry.