Author Topic: So, I'm gonna go pick up this car... What about plates??  (Read 7727 times)

Offline NoMope Greg

• Resident
Re: So, I'm gonna go pick up this car... What about plates??
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2008 - 07:14:34 PM »
As to the owner keeping the plates, he shouldn't do that, nor should you let him (unless it means the deal falls through.)  The plates are issued to the car, not the person.  If he wants to keep the plates for another car, then mail them back to him after you get back.  If he doesn't really care, PA should collect the IL plates when you register the car and will send them back.  I'm sure they deal with this all the time.

You should definitely call your insurance agent and add the car to your policy before you leave.  BTW - have you established residence in OH?  You may want to check with your agent and see if you need a separate policy for each state, since different states have different laws and they may refuse to cover theft if it's stolen from some place you're living different from the address they have.  Just a thought.
Greg
2003 Ford Escape XLS
Currently Mopar-less :(

Offline heminut

• Resident
  • owner of the poor man's Hemi Cuda
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2008 - 07:37:06 PM »
As to the owner keeping the plates, he shouldn't do that, nor should you let him (unless it means the deal falls through.)  The plates are issued to the car, not the person. 

Just goes to show you that every state is different. Here in New Mexico the owner has to remove the plate when he sells a vehicle. If he left it on the car and the purchaser was in an accident the seller can be held civilly liable!
1970 5.7 Hemi Cuda

Offline DAYTONA

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2008 - 08:06:07 PM »
...easiest, just take a plate with you

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2008 - 08:39:08 PM »
...easiest, just take a plate with you
:iagree: That's what I did in Texas, when I bought a car in Massachusetts.  I just called my insurance company and added the car to my policy, printed out the new card, went down to my local DMV office, and $25 later had a 30 day temp permit.  Your best and only answer will be to call your state DMV where the car is going to ultimately be titled, and find out what you need to do from them.  We can give you 50 different answers and all of them could be right....depending on where you live.  This is one of the most screwed up things with our government (out of many), but every single state is different.

Offline lumpy

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2008 - 08:59:22 PM »
 :iagree:TOO much Info!! And some of it WRONG. The seller can and must keep the plate in some states. DMV policies are different state by state, so it would be best to check with both states to see what is required. You won't be able to print a temp plate from your state since the car is not registered there. Most states will not issue titles to out of state cars without first doing an inspection. Your best bet would be to go to your local DMV and ask them what you need to do. Calling them will probably get you an endless parade of prerecorded options. Good Luck !!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2008 - 09:01:12 PM by lumpy »

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2008 - 09:12:49 PM »
Yeah, no way, dont leave the plate on the car.  That plate is registered to him, not you.  You park in a handicap spot, guess who gets the ticket?   :bigsmile:

Offline jeryst

• Resident
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2008 - 12:39:44 AM »
In PA, the plate is issued to the owner, for the car. You never allow the plate to go with the car, unless it is an antique or classic plate, which can be transferred.

You dont need to call the DMV in PA. Just call a Notary. They can give you all of the info over the phone. I can provide a couple of very helpful Notaries in my area. If you want their numbers, let me know and I'll PM them to you. All you have to say is, "I live in PA. I'm on my way to Illinois to buy a car. I want to drive it back. What do I need to do?"

I'm tellen ya, it'll save you a lot of hassle, and it'll only take a couple of minutes. Ignorance of the law is no excuse, and they will NAIL YOUR A55 if you dont do it right. How would you like your new Viper impounded?

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2008 - 01:21:15 AM »
I don't see how you get  temp tag without having the title in your name.
That would open the door for out of state car theft. I have a feeling you'll end up going there and getting the title, returning to PA and getting it in your name first.
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2008 - 08:57:52 AM »
That would open the door for out of state car theft. I have a feeling you'll end up going there and getting the title, returning to PA and getting it in your name first.
Texas does it, you just need a valid insurance card, then you have to get the car inspected, then return to the DMV with title, insurance card, and inspection report, to get the new plates.  Trust me, I've done it 5 times in 8 years.  They do give you the standard disclaimer that they might not be recognized by out of state law enforcement, though.

I'll say it again, CALL YOUR LOCAL DMV FOR THE STATE IT WILL BE TITLED IN.  THEY ARE THE ONLY ONES THAT CAN GIVE YOU THE CORRECT ANSWER.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2008 - 10:08:00 AM »
I am no help on this one , here if you drive Berore having fully registered & insured in your name your can be fined more then $2500 , temp tags still need to be insured & are only good between point of purchase & where your are taking it to & cost $30

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline lumpy

« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2008 - 10:37:06 AM »

In Arizona all you need is the car's VIN Number and you can print a 3 day temp tag online. The car doesn't have to be in your name. I can print one right now for any vehicle registered in the state. Every state is different.

In PA, the plate is issued to the owner, for the car. You never allow the plate to go with the car, unless it is an antique or classic plate, which can be transferred.

You dont need to call the DMV in PA. Just call a Notary. They can give you all of the info over the phone. I can provide a couple of very helpful Notaries in my area. If you want their numbers, let me know and I'll PM them to you. All you have to say is, "I live in PA. I'm on my way to Illinois to buy a car. I want to drive it back. What do I need to do?"

I'm tellen ya, it'll save you a lot of hassle, and it'll only take a couple of minutes. Ignorance of the law is no excuse, and they will NAIL YOUR A55 if you dont do it right. How would you like your new Viper impounded?

Just about anybody in the state of Arizona can be a Notary. Most of them here do not know any of the laws pertaining to vehicles. The girls down at the local bank are Notaries, and they wouldn't be able to answer any questions at all. Same goes with the local realtor that is a notary. Again, every state is different when it comes to this. Some states don't require the seller's signiture to be notarized on the title, other states do. Do you see the problem that this could present? Just check with the states in play.

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
  • 2017 Carlisle or BUST...
    • JS Custom Cars
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2008 - 10:53:52 AM »
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOKAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY

Here's what I've got so far:

PA only issues temporary tags when you're buying a car in PA but live in another state.  Stroker - your guys told me that.  They were real nice though - good people.

OH issues temp tags, but I have to have the title and such first, which means two trips to IL - stupid.

IL issues temp tags and can issue one on a Saturday - only open 'till noon.  SO, I'm going to see if the current owner can secure a temp registration ahead of time, or if not, then I gotta get to IL a little earlier and get to a DMV before noon.

I HAVE INSURANCE - in fact I have my temporary identification cards sitting right here at my desk with the car already listed.  Don't even own the damned thing yet and it's covered.  :)

So that's not a problem.  I'll have the title by Saturday and the keys.  With my driver's license, title, and insurance, I should be fine... ...as long as I get there by noon!

Thanks for the guidance, guys.  Yeah the notaries couldn't help me, the Illinois DMV did.

Jeff
2000 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe - 8.0L V10, 6-Speed Tremec
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Trail Rated - 4.7L V8, Auto
2010 Dodge Challenger SE Rallye - 3.5L V6, Auto (Wife's!)

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2008 - 11:03:46 AM »
Cool news, Jeff!!! :cheers: :2thumbs:  I see you already got your answer, but I essentially did the same thing when I picked up my Stealth from GA.  I had insurance added to it once I arrived at the guy's house and they told me it was completely legal to drive cross-country without any tags (local WI police verified this as well) as long as I had all the papers I received from the transaction in the vehicle. :cheers:

Edit:  I finally saw some photos of it after Confederate_Cuda posted the eBay link. :thumbsup:  It looks very unique with that interior, but you got a steal on that car. :cheers:
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008 - 11:22:13 AM by Street_Challenged73 »
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline lumpy

« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2008 - 02:11:30 PM »
 :thumbsup: Good Luck !! And have a safe trip!! :burnout:

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
  • 2017 Carlisle or BUST...
    • JS Custom Cars
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2008 - 02:16:47 PM »
...you got a steal on that car. :cheers:

Yes sir, I did.  :)
2000 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe - 8.0L V10, 6-Speed Tremec
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Trail Rated - 4.7L V8, Auto
2010 Dodge Challenger SE Rallye - 3.5L V6, Auto (Wife's!)