Author Topic: headliner re-install  (Read 1567 times)

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
headliner re-install
« on: October 27, 2008 - 08:53:44 AM »
My headliner is not tight on the sides up in the front. Would I need to buy another one or can this be re done? It is a couple of years old now but still new condition. It would be a while untill I could buy another new one.

Where the bows hook to the sides is where it is wrinkled. I never know how to do the color thing on the bows. The lengths are right but maybe left is on rt , rt is on lft. Dont know how to tell. Not sure about how to trim the headlinder slots that went through the bows

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
Re: headliner re-install
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008 - 08:59:35 AM »
Hi Alan,

Did you install this yourself buddy ?  you can not get them wrong as in left and right, but in order of fitment is possible.  You can drop your side covers and gently pull the excess material around to make it taught agin, and work from the middle out when doing so, only pul gently as it will pucker if pulled to far when reinstalled. 

Is it only loose around the door Openings ?
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008 - 09:30:00 AM »
Yeah, around the door openings

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008 - 09:36:36 AM »
yeah i thought so, just do as i said above, and do one side at a time when dimantling, remember not to pull too hard when you have the one side apart to take up the slack, as you have to perform the same proceedure on the otherside to make it taught. :2thumbs: do not want it over tight before working the other side.
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

Offline e-tek

• My website: http://edanneberg.googlepages.com/home
    • E-Tek Resto's
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008 - 01:36:43 PM »
hemiken - can you give us a quick rundown on installing new headliners? sounds liked you've done a few!
thanks.

Offline 422STROKER

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 6/3/06
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008 - 03:14:06 PM »
hemiken - can you give us a quick rundown on installing new headliners? sounds liked you've done a few!
thanks.

:popcorn:

Tom :bigsmile:
Tom
12.77 @ 108.87 15" Street Drag radial tires 3.23 gear

Offline matt63

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008 - 03:18:17 PM »
There are some instructions floating around somewhere in the archives.  IIRC I had to cut the bow loops on the sides to get the wrinkles out.  I don't know if this is correct or not but it worked.
Matt in Edmonton

'68 Valiant
'73 Cuda 340 4 speed (408) SOLD

Offline heminut

• Resident
  • owner of the poor man's Hemi Cuda
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2008 - 06:32:26 PM »
There are some instructions floating around somewhere in the archives.  IIRC I had to cut the bow loops on the sides to get the wrinkles out.  I don't know if this is correct or not but it worked.

Yes, the bow loops are made long and have to be trimmed back to fit the bows. I put the headliner in my Cuda several years ago and remember the instructions that came with mine stated that they were oversized and would have to be trimmed.
1970 5.7 Hemi Cuda

Offline cjm

• 70 Cuda - In Progress.....
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2008 - 07:13:30 PM »
I just did mine a few weeks ago...  You are supposed to have about 1 inch of the bow (on both sides) showing after installing the bow in the headliner (initial cut).. Then after you install the headliner in the car, and pulling the sides back, you should trim the sleeves again to allow clearance of the bows..  Search for "headliner" on this forum and you will find a link to detailed instructions....

Offline inot2old

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2008 - 07:57:18 PM »
The instructions that came with my headliner said that a heat gun can get some wrinkles out.
'71 Cuda 

'70 Charger project
'05 Crossfire Roadster

Offline cjm

• 70 Cuda - In Progress.....
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2008 - 10:06:36 PM »
Yes a heat gun will help with the wrinkles caused by packaging but if you do not trim the pockets (sleeves) that hold the bows, you will never get them out. What happens is when you pull on the sides, the pockets (material) will hit where the end of the bow meets the roof..  If you don't trim it, it will sag and wrinkle..

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2008 - 10:14:24 PM »
I didn't have directions with mine. It was obvious I had to trim some off where the bows go threw. I may not of had enough trimmed off. I do remember I'd had enough of the being a contortionist.  I rushed through it I believe trying to get over it. So one day I will have to do the sides again.

Glad in a sense it is winter coming in. Like most of us, I have a bunch of those little details that have to be done.

Offline gkring

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2008 - 12:04:40 AM »
Greg
1970 Challenger convertible-in process
1970 Barracuda driver