Author Topic: Fortress of Solitude discovered!  (Read 1286 times)

Offline NoMope Greg

• Resident
Greg
2003 Ford Escape XLS
Currently Mopar-less :(

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
Re: Fortress of Solitude discovered!
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008 - 12:30:20 PM »

Thanks for sharing, it's like something out of a Superman flick........... :eek7: :thumbsup:

It'd be one of many things like this us humans have yet to discover on our very own planet.  :cheers:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008 - 01:48:13 PM »
 :wow:  that looks so surealistic.  thanks for posting  :2thumbs:
*** Bart ***

Offline 'Cuda Hunter

• Sr. Resident
  • Tastes Like Chicken
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008 - 02:05:07 PM »
I heard that they are actually going to refill the cave with water.  To put it back to where it was before the mining started to drain it. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Offline heminut

• Resident
  • owner of the poor man's Hemi Cuda
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008 - 03:00:46 PM »
I've read up on that cave and it's amazing, not only due to the size of the crystals, but the environment itself is amazing. I've been caving for over 20 years and have never seen anything like what's in those pictures! I've been in caves with very high humidity and temps in the 50's and at first it feels cold, but after a short time of exploring I'm sweating like I was in a sauna. I can't even imagine what it feels like in that cave. It will be a shame when they let the cave flood again, but that is it's natural state. The only reason it's dry right now is because the mining company has to keep the water level pumped down for their operations. When the mining is done there will be no reason to keep it pumped out. At least they are studying and documenting the cave as much as they can while they can.
1970 5.7 Hemi Cuda

Offline 'Cuda Hunter

• Sr. Resident
  • Tastes Like Chicken
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008 - 03:05:29 PM »
Supposedly there is supposed to be many more miles of unexplored caverns in that cave. 
  Heminut, Have you ever been out here to Colorado and explored any of our thousands of caves.  We have got some absolutely fabulous caves out here. Including the cavern of gold.  Which noone has ever found the end.  It's up about 12000 feet.  Supposedly the spanish forced indians in the cave to bring back gold many years ago.  This is supposed to be the most dangerous cavern in America. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Offline heminut

• Resident
  • owner of the poor man's Hemi Cuda
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008 - 03:18:54 PM »
No, I've never got to do any caving in Colorado, mostly in New Mexico and Arizona, and a little in Missouri. Never heard of the cavern of gold, but it sounds interesting I'll have to see if I can find anything on the 'net on it. I've slowed down a lot on my caving, I'm 54 now and after breaking a BUNCH of ribs in a motorcycle accident a couple of years ago I don't hold up to the crawling and squirming around as well as I used to!
1970 5.7 Hemi Cuda

Offline Pistol Gripper

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008 - 10:08:09 AM »
I saw a very good show about this on the Discovery / History channel.  Huge gypsum crystals.  They need to reflood the cave so they can go back to growing.

P.G.
O ne
B ig
A $$
M istake
A merica

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
  • 2017 Carlisle or BUST...
    • JS Custom Cars
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008 - 11:18:57 AM »
Is this crystal like you get at jewelery stores?  Just wondering if it's valuable - not that I'd try going to take any of it!

It's definitely an amazing sight.

Jeff
2000 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe - 8.0L V10, 6-Speed Tremec
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Trail Rated - 4.7L V8, Auto
2010 Dodge Challenger SE Rallye - 3.5L V6, Auto (Wife's!)

Offline ChallengerGary

• Resident
    • Challenger Gary
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2008 - 11:34:56 AM »
 :wow:  Simply Amazing!
2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Mega Cab 5.7 Hemi

1972 Dodge Demon - "new" project

AND TOO MANY OTHER MOPARS THROUGH MY HANDS TO COUNT

Offline 'Cuda Hunter

• Sr. Resident
  • Tastes Like Chicken
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2008 - 11:48:40 AM »
They don't really have much value.  You can purchase gypsum crystals at most rock shops.  gypsum is one of the main ingredients in making drywall.  Here in Colorado there is a whole valley that is close to 100 miles around that is named gypsum as all of the soil is pure gypsum.  I know of several localaties to pick up your own gypsum crystals.   So basically, no, not valuable, unless you are a collector of crystals or you have a drywall making company. 

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
  • 2017 Carlisle or BUST...
    • JS Custom Cars
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2008 - 12:32:02 PM »
Gotcha.  I actually know a bit about gypsum, as synthetic gypsum is a byproduct of the chemical process we'll be using to clean the soot from the power plant exhaust.  We'll be generating 20 dump-truck loads an hour, 24 hours a day - when the process is at peak output.  Not all the time.

Jeff
2000 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe - 8.0L V10, 6-Speed Tremec
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Trail Rated - 4.7L V8, Auto
2010 Dodge Challenger SE Rallye - 3.5L V6, Auto (Wife's!)

Offline Pistol Gripper

• Resident
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2008 - 01:06:09 PM »
The crystals in the cave would only be valuable in so far as they are the laggest natural crystals in existance.  Other than that, just drywall makins.

P.G.
O ne
B ig
A $$
M istake
A merica

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2008 - 01:15:54 PM »
They need to stay uncovered. The USS enterprise Star trek  ship needs those dilithium crystals to go warp speeds.

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2008 - 01:43:28 PM »
Crazy.  Put a lazer light show in down there, you'd get epileptic.   :jumping: :crazy: