Author Topic: Dashboard pad replacement, IE look out for cons  (Read 3858 times)

Offline femtnmax

Dashboard pad replacement, IE look out for cons
« on: October 30, 2008 - 09:17:12 PM »
 >:( :pullinghair:
I went thru a 5 month hassle, and would like to save you from the trouble.

This PMI outfit was recommended to me by another company that I had good luck with.  So I purchased a dash pad from PMI ultimate rides located in El Paso Texas.  They said it would take 2-3 weeks and it would be at my door step.
So 3 weeks go by, nothing to show for it. I contact the owner who had some story:  just wait another couple of weeks, the next one would be mine, etc etc. 
This went on for another month, the staff at PMI would all say the same thing:  just another week or two.
Finally I contact my credit card company demanding a full refund.  They contact PMI, and then I received a dashpad. 
Quality looks ok, it is molded on original mopar metal dash.  I am hesitant to send them my old dash for $ refund, after listening to their BS, I don't trust them.  They could say my old dash was not usable, I'd be stuck with more shipping to get it back... if they actually returned the one I sent them.
ON EBAY look for a location of El Paso Texas, they use various names, but do list the Texas address.  Maybe you'd be ok buying off ebay, cause paypal will fight for you if you contact them within 30 days of date of purchase.

So my second mistake was waiting too long to contact the credit card company.

My first mistake was buying anything from PMI ulitmate rides.  I suggest you buy from Just Dashes, I have heard their quality is good... but don't have any personal experience with them.
Hope this help at least one other person out there.
Phil

Offline common 27

Re: Dashboard pad replacement, IE look out for cons
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008 - 09:37:55 PM »
  The Federal Trade Commision says you do not have to pay a credit card bill for something you did not recieve,Just a matter of contacting the card and telling them you are disputing the charge and why- you did not recieve the item,Unfortunately I have had to do it several times in the past,and have never had a problem
1970  Challenger Convertible   1968 Satellite Convertible

Offline 1970-cuda340

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008 - 10:00:09 PM »
I had the same prob. I sent them my core before I received my dash. It took 2 months after I got my dash to get my core refund   :villagers: They kept telling me they sent the check by mail.Quality was pretty decent, but man whatta hassle. Best of luck getting your $195 back. It's even more difficult to get someone on the phone at ultimate rides.  :pullinghair:

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008 - 12:36:25 AM »
I had a dash redone by Ultimate rides with no issues , the pad looks great too
 I had 1 done by Just Dashes it the quality was worse than the one removed for the low price of $1600 shipped to Canaduh , I will not deal with J D again

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline RaptorF229

• A work in Progress
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008 - 01:00:34 AM »
I have an UR pad also no complaints on quality or time.

Offline gkring

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008 - 01:11:52 AM »
The ultimate rides delivery time has been an issue forever.
Earlier this year I bought two dashes from them through Nick at Nick's classic parts. Received them fairly quickly-within a few weeks and the billing and core credits were all handled promptly. probably best to go through a distributor and let them fight for you. Good product but a little struggle with their customer service.
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=42178.0
Greg
1970 Challenger convertible-in process
1970 Barracuda driver

Offline Lunchbox

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008 - 02:22:07 AM »
Dont send your core back. I didn't and it was the same price. If anything sell your core on ebay and they will probably buy it.

I posted a review of the dash about a year and a half ago. My main problems with the dash are...

1. Grain not the same.
2. Foam to thick in the Vin tag area
3. Areas not finished right where the lower plastic trim fits over the dash
4. Problems around the speaker and A/C vents

Lunch

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008 - 08:57:41 AM »
Unfortunately the dash pads are pretty much the same as door panels.  It's really hit or miss as to the quality and delivery, regardless of the supplier.  My friend ordered 2 pads from UR, and had them at a great price within a month, but I have also heard the same stories as posted above, from both UR and Just Dashes.  I agree with gkring, and your best bet is probably to go through AZ_Nick or another 3rd party supplier.

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2008 - 01:31:49 PM »
I have an UR pad also no complaints on quality or time.

Same case here...But I bought mine early in the game when they were first starting out about 4 years ago, or so.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2008 - 02:20:32 PM »
Don't mean to hijack, but this is somewhat related to the topic.

A while back I was thinking about pulling my dash and taking it to a local upholstery place. My idea was to heave some dense padding applied to the frame and then cover it in leather. I don't think it could be muc more expensive (if any) than buying a new dash, plus I'd know where my original was at all times. What do you guys think?

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2008 - 06:31:18 PM »
Don't mean to hijack, but this is somewhat related to the topic.

A while back I was thinking about pulling my dash and taking it to a local upholstery place. My idea was to heave some dense padding applied to the frame and then cover it in leather. I don't think it could be muc more expensive (if any) than buying a new dash, plus I'd know where my original was at all times. What do you guys think?

I guess it depends on the leather/vinyl this guy puts on your frame. Will it have the same grain as originals, or will you care?  I might not.   :lol:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2008 - 10:14:11 PM »
I know I wouldn't care about the grain. I'd want to have a gradeof leather that would stand up to the weather, and I'd have to go over it with some moisturizer every now and then, but otherwise, is there a reason to not do this?

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline femtnmax

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2008 - 11:04:28 PM »
I know I wouldn't care about the grain. I'd want to have a gradeof leather that would stand up to the weather, and I'd have to go over it with some moisturizer every now and then, but otherwise, is there a reason to not do this?

The previous owner of my 67 pickup put leather on top of smoothed old foam dash, not as nice a job as you will probably do.  I assume they glued  the leather down with contact cement.
The leather dash has held up great.   I have never done anything to it, except wipe off the dust.  I do keep the truck parked in doors mostly year around.  That probably makes a big difference of course.  I would suggest, like laying down hardwood flooring, make sure your subsurface foam is smooth and not going to have more lifting off the metal, and go for it.
Phil

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2008 - 11:15:35 PM »
Thanks for the info, femtnmax.

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline G_Man440

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2008 - 12:15:47 AM »
I bought mine from Ultimate Rides in March. They were quick and efficient and I had no communication problems. $625.00 for the dash with $175 core. I looks great.
I was was unhappy with the fit of the dash. I have never bought one before so I did not know what to expect. I probably spent 6 extra hours screwing with it to get it to fit. The foam was too thick in places, mostly on the sides so I had difficulty with the trim and the AC vents.
I always said if anyone ever asked  I would tell them to buy elsewhere. I thought for that kind of money it should have fit perfect.
70 Challenger R/T, 440, 727, AC