Author Topic: HAS ANYONE USED A DASH PAD COVER FOR THEIR DASH?? INPUT??  (Read 6082 times)

Offline 4THECHALLENGE

Re: HAS ANYONE USED A DASH PAD COVER FOR THEIR DASH?? INPUT??
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2008 - 08:37:11 PM »
Where should I get my dash pad from?
Thanx

Offline DAYLEY/CHALLENGER

• Resident
  • Still My Inspiration..1971, Rockingham, Nc
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2008 - 10:16:29 PM »
My dash cap came from Year One.................
Dave or David

Offline 4THECHALLENGE

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2008 - 11:23:42 PM »
thanks

Offline cudagirl4406pk

• Yes i am a Girl and No you cant drive my CUDA
    • Garageartmusclecars
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2008 - 01:05:54 AM »
Mine has been on for 5 years and no problems if you put them on correctly they will last.

michele
Yes i am a girl and no you cant drive my MOPAR :)

Offline Changin Gears

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2008 - 08:09:53 PM »
Mine has been on for 11 years, still good

The goal never changes - Stop the 60' timer with your back tires

Offline ChallengerGary

• Resident
    • Challenger Gary
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2008 - 01:16:07 AM »
I have probably used about 6 or 8 of them. It really works well for 71 & ups but for 70's looks out of place  without the ridge and the stitching.  The best way to do it is to pull the whole dash assembly and do it out of the car.  That way you can trim the areas that need it and also apply uniform pressure round the whole thing.

Here's s pic of one in a 72 RR clone and a 70 Pro Street Challenger
2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Mega Cab 5.7 Hemi

1972 Dodge Demon - "new" project

AND TOO MANY OTHER MOPARS THROUGH MY HANDS TO COUNT

nivvy

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2008 - 06:50:04 AM »
whats involved with installing one of those..... looks nice for a temp install???  :working:

Offline 71ChallengerSE

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2008 - 12:21:47 PM »
I have probably used about 6 or 8 of them. It really works well for 71 & ups but for 70's looks out of place  without the ridge and the stitching.  The best way to do it is to pull the whole dash assembly and do it out of the car.  That way you can trim the areas that need it and also apply uniform pressure round the whole thing.

Here's s pic of one in a 72 RR clone and a 70 Pro Street Challenger

They are now making 70 Challenger caps but it doesn't have the script or the stitching.

Offline 4THECHALLENGE

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2008 - 12:39:10 PM »
cool I'll wait for it

nivvy

« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2008 - 06:44:24 AM »
they do look good guys. I may have to try one til 2010.... these speed parts are killing me....  :misbehaving:

Offline ChallengerGary

• Resident
    • Challenger Gary
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2008 - 08:53:36 AM »
They are now making 70 Challenger caps but it doesn't have the script or the stitching.

Who is making the 70 sytle one?
2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Mega Cab 5.7 Hemi

1972 Dodge Demon - "new" project

AND TOO MANY OTHER MOPARS THROUGH MY HANDS TO COUNT

Offline hotrod98

• Maniac Musclecars
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2008 - 02:35:21 PM »
I've installed several and they don't look all that bad. The best looking one though was the one that I prepped and painted using a lacquer based semi flat interior paint. You can get the same effect using a good quality interior spray paint. Prep the cover using a clean scotchbrite and warm soapy water and then a different clean scotchbrite and denatured alcohol. Apply thin coats of color. If your old dash pad is cracked and swelled, it will need to be ground down or at least cut out the cracked, raised area. When installing one on an a/c car, I use the non a/c version covers and carefully mark out the a/c opening from the back side. I then install the a/c vent which will no longer be recessed. The reason I do this is because the a/c version never fits well around the vent. In my opinion, the vent area looks better this way. As was said previously, after glueing, place several heavy weights on top of the dash. I installed one in my 71 cuda 11 years ago and it still looks great. Most people are shocked when they find out that it's a cap.
 I bought one of those aftermarket dash pads a few years ago and it looked so bad that I sent it back. When I want the car to be perfect, I send the pads to Just Dashes. If you send yours to them, don't forget to remove the vin plate or you will never see it again. They cannot return the vin plate to you for some reason. I say go the cap route for now. Much cheaper and and less hassle.
1971 Cuda, Tor-red, Bench seat
1971 Cuda Drag Car
1973 Cuda Clone, EFI/OD Limelight
1970 Superbird (Yes, it's real) Black Ice
1971 Barracuda Sassy Grass Green (sold)
1970 Challenger RT SE 383 Plum Crazy
1969 Road Runner Hardtop
1968 Road Runner Coupe (sold)

www.maniacmusclecars.com

Offline PlumCrazyChris

• Mopar Muscle Cars of Austin
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2008 - 06:48:54 PM »
i have used 3 dash caps on projects and when installed properly work fine! cut away loose chunks of old dash pad,and i smoothed a little calking over the large holes. when glueing use a lot of criss cross,try not to blob glue. glue around complete hole for vents,vin etc. stack some weight on cover to have good contact while drying.final coat of vynal protectant,looks great. well,looks great for $100 solution to $900 problem!

I had one on my convertible and it was very hard to tell (except the missing challenger script).  I have to disagree with moparmussle on one point though, yes remove raised areas with a razor knife and clean it well, but only glue it around the edges.  It shrinks and swells more then the dash so it has to float somewhat on the dash.  I've had club members that had problems with them cracking and it turned out they had glued the mess out of it and when it swelled it had to break. 

It definately works better when the dash is out of the car.  I used metal binder clips all around the edges and stuffed towels into the vent holes to make sure it sealed tight. 

The dash I used was really a piece of crap too, totally cracked non-a/c, 1 speaker pad.   I cut out the holes for the a/c vents and got an a/c dash cap and cut holes for the small side speakers.  The holes are in the metal frame already, just cut the old foam out of the way.    Glue, clip, install the vents and speaker covers and let it set up.  I plan on doing it again with my current car.  I even found a "challenger" script from an old 70 dash that I cut out and will clean up and glue to the cap. 
PlumCrazyChris
Mopar Muscle Cars of Austin
Round Rock Tx
70 Challenger 5.7, A518, A/C
70 Challenger 340 convertible (Gone to Sweden)
68 Barracuda (sold it too)
www.mopar.org

Offline 4THECHALLENGE

« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2008 - 01:21:58 AM »
great advice guys. Thanks for sharing I'll me doing this once I get going on the interior